Clowney reportedly interested in Saints and Cowboys

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
If we can get him for 8M I'd do it.

Living in Houston I've seen pretty much every game he's played. The Houston fans, the sports casters and almost everyone was tired of his "playing hard one play and loafing off two" appearance. Houston fans didn't mind him leaving, but they were unhappy that they got NUTHIN in return. Basically gave him away because coach Bill Obortion didn't like the example Clowney was setting for the younger guys. Then Clown boy has a "one year prove it" deal in Seattle and bends over. Now he wants yet another one year "prove it" contract. I hope the Eagles get him. Play him one play per series, and pay him a third of what he thinks he's worth. With the savings get some DBs that can cover and turn their ****** head and locate the ball in the air.

kskboys

Reaction score
For many years Clowney had JJ Watt on the other side. Houston fans were never happy with him or his LAZY play/attitude.
In 2017, they were very happy w/ him. JJ Watt went out after 5 games and Clowney dominated w/ Watt out. "One of the most disruptive run stoppers and pass rushers in the NFL."

I honestly don't know where you guys get your info from. While Clowney took a while to get started due to injury and never lived up to the 1st player in the draft status, he was a fine player for Houston who ably took over when JJ went out. No, he's not worth top dollar like he thinks he is, but he's a fine player, and well worth around 10-12 mil/season, maybe a bit more.

kskboys

Reaction score

Living in Houston I've seen pretty much every game he's played. The Houston fans, the sports casters and almost everyone was tired of his "playing hard one play and loafing off two" appearance. Houston fans didn't mind him leaving, but they were unhappy that they got NUTHIN in return. Basically gave him away because coach Bill Obortion didn't like the example Clowney was setting for the younger guys. Then Clown boy has a "one year prove it" deal in Seattle and bends over. Now he wants yet another one year "prove it" contract. I hope the Eagles get him. Play him one play per series, and pay him a third of what he thinks he's worth. With the savings get some DBs that can cover and turn their ****** head and locate the ball in the air.
Since you live in Houston, I'll bow to your knowledge. Still, Clowney is a good but not great player.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Since you live in Houston, I'll bow to your knowledge. Still, Clowney is a good but not great player.
Clowney is a good but not great player - I agree. And the feelings that Houston folks have for him is similar to the feelings Dallas fans had of Greg Ellis - 8th overall pick and just didn't live up to that draft slot even though he was solid his entire career. You can't control feelings man... but feelings aren't what will win us a Super Bowl. Guys like Clowney at an affordable price can though.

fivetwos

Reaction score

He never lived up to his draft status, but he is still a good DE.

He has rush skills, and he plays the run well.

They cant be giving away the store, but I'm talking about a prove it deal at like 10M.

I like the player, just think he is underrated due to being the first pick in the draft and not living up to that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think its likely we have expanded rosters or a taxi squad of some type this season because of the pandemic. If that happens one of the silver linings would be that we don't have to worry about losing Jelks, Jackson, Jon'Vea Johnson, Nooch, etc.
Yes true, and happy you have the future of the organization at QBs name down correctly sir!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's a production vs money thing. It's the final year of his deal and it's a straight 8M savings to cut bait.

He isnt a difference maker, and we have seen the best of him already. It only gets worse.

The real crime will not be him stealing 8M in potential future cap space, but if a guy like Jelks or Jackson is cut loose for him, and they catch on elsewhere and make it work.

The problem is that they've literally never found a replacement.

They had Quinn last year but they needed another DE to play on run downs because Quinn was not good vs the run.

In 2018 they used Crawford at RDE on run downs and Gregory on passing downs.

In 2017 Crawford was the RDE.

They had not had a legit RDE since the 1 year with Greg Hardy.

They've had potential with Gregory.

Taco started a few games there.

This season they have potential options with Aldon Smith, Anae, the possibility of Gregory returning and some of the Armstrong/Jackson/Jelks types possibly stepping up, but it has yet to actually happen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clowney is a better option at RDE. Talent not even close.

Clowney is unlikely to sign for Crawford's salary.

If Clowney signs elsewhere for 8M and Crawford remains for 8M then it's time to complain.

Until then, nobody knows what is going on with Clowney.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I've always been on the side of seeing what you guy from Smith, Gregory, Anae and Armstrong instead of paying a ton of money to Clowney. Clowney is the better player but I have more reservations after reading your post. Dallas has leadership from players on the DL like DLaw, Crawford and McCoy - but if Clowney didn't give full effort playing with JJ Watt, is he ever going to do it?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meant 20mil+ long term deal.
It seems that Clowney will sign a 1-year deal at this point and try again next year.

The lack offers that he finds acceptable might cause him to amp up his game this season.

He probably honestly didn't know that all 32 teams would not be lined up to sign him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always been on the side of seeing what you guy from Smith, Gregory, Anae and Armstrong instead of paying a ton of money to Clowney. Clowney is the better player but I have more reservations after reading your post. Dallas has leadership from players on the DL like DLaw, Crawford and McCoy - but if Clowney didn't give full effort playing with JJ Watt, is he ever going to do it?
I tend to agree; although, if Clowney gets to the point that he'll sign a 1-year deal that is close to Crawford's salary, then it would be hard to not make that swap.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I tend to agree; although, if Clowney gets to the point that he'll sign a 1-year deal that is close to Crawford's salary, then it would be hard to not make that swap.

Totally agree Clowney is a better player than anyone we have now, but I want to see what Smith, Gregory, and Anae do. On top of that I don't see the difference between that group and Clowney being worth what he is asking for contractually.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd never heard the lack of effort thing. Clowney held the D together when JJ went down w/ injury after 5 games in 2017.

Clowney was a pro bowl selection at 3-4 DE in 2016 and "consistently disrupted O's."

Seriously, does that really sound like lack of effort? Every year I read the same thing about him, and saw the same thing when I caught a Texans game. Highly disruptive, great against the run, very disruptive against the pass.

It simply does not sound like lack of effort.

Reactions: BAT

kskboys

Reaction score
It seems that Clowney will sign a 1-year deal at this point and try again next year.

The lack offers that he finds acceptable might cause him to amp up his game this season.

He probably honestly didn't know that all 32 teams would not be lined up to sign him.
Many teams would've lined up to sign him for what he's worth, around 12 mil/season. His demands to be overpaid is why teams haven't signed him. And he's had multiyear offers around 15-16 mil/season from both SEA and CLEV. It's he himself overvaluing himself that's kept him off rosters.

Reactions: BAT