Clowney reportedly interested in Saints and Cowboys

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never would of expected Clowney to be a FA at this point. I found the 20+mil wants by him unreasonable, but, still thought they could of landed a nice long term deal before april.

20M on a 1-year contract is not a bad deal for a team. No future guaranteed money.

DLaw averages 21M per but also has significant future guaranteed money.

Clowney has not been far behind DLaw in terms of career statistics.

They both entered the league in 2014. Not counting their rookie seasons, DLaw has played 73 games and Clowney has played 71.

Sacks
Clowney 32
DLaw 39

Tackles
Clowney 236
DLaw 242

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
20M on a 1-year contract is not a bad deal for a team. No future guaranteed money.

They both entered the league in 2014. Not counting their rookie seasons, DLaw has played 73 games and Clowney has played 71.

Sacks
Clowney 32
DLaw 39

Tackles
Clowney 236
DLaw 242
Except one has exceeded expectations....and one has underachieved............

kskboys

Reaction score

Sacks
Clowney 32
DLaw 39

Tackles
Clowney 236
DLaw 242
And for at least part of that time Clowney was playing 3-4 DE.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not only for Jerry, I just dont think anyone is adding a player at 6-800k a game when they may be faced with paying the players full salaries and not collecting game day revenue.

Clowney and Griffen will likely need to wait to be signed until things clear up a bit.

Clowney would be a steal at even 1/10 IMO and I hope it happens.

If he busts, oh well. If he doesnt, we get a comp pick. Its win/win I think, but I like the guy better than most do. I dont find him to be much of a headache. He wants to win and that's what I want.

I'm not at all sold on some of our name players feeling the same way. Then again, when your leader is a robot, its easy to tune things out.

I can't see the NFL paying players if there isn't a season, but I can see changes made if the league isn't able to have crowds in attendance.

John813

Reaction score

Sacks
Clowney 32
DLaw 39

Tackles
Clowney 236
DLaw 242

Meant 20mil+ long term deal.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I can't see the NFL paying players if there isn't a season, but I can see changes made if the league isn't able to have crowds in attendance.
Well that's what I mean. I don't think those guys are going to get any kind of fair offer while things are still unsure.

There will likely be a season, but I'm skeptical on the game day revenue being there, and I'd say owners are a bit apprehensive about dishing out large dollars at this point, even if it's only one year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well that's what I mean. I don't think those guys are going to get any kind of fair offer while things are still unsure.

There will likely be a season, but I'm skeptical on the game day revenue being there, and I'd say owners are a bit apprehensive about dishing out large dollars at this point, even if it's only one year.

I agree. It could very well be a factor. Griffen and Clowney may have made huge mistakes in holding out for more money.

I'm shocked at how little Cam Newton signed for in New England.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree. It could very well be a factor. Griffen and Clowney may have made huge mistakes in holding out for more money.

At this point of the offseason the good teams usually have little cap room, and the teams with a lot of cap room are the bottom dwellers like the Browns and Dolphins.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I feel like he is underrated as a player due to his draft status, and given a bum rap as a malcontent.

He is definitely not an elite pass rusher. Not first pick in draft type stuff...not at all.

But he is a better overall player than Randy Gregory or what we know about Aldon Smith at this point.

The guy wants to win. Houston dealt him because they didnt want to pay him, plus how can you trust any trade that nut case OBrien has made?

Seattle didn't find him to be worth what he was asking, and probably isnt.

But a guy with his talent on a prove it deal is a no lose situation the way I see it.

Reactions: BAT

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's weird how people obsess about Crawford's pay.

If they find a better option then I'm OK with cutting Crawford but they have not been able to do that as of yet.
I think it's a production vs money thing. It's the final year of his deal and it's a straight 8M savings to cut bait.

He isnt a difference maker, and we have seen the best of him already. It only gets worse.

The real crime will not be him stealing 8M in potential future cap space, but if a guy like Jelks or Jackson is cut loose for him, and they catch on elsewhere and make it work.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
For many years Clowney had JJ Watt on the other side. Houston fans were never happy with him or his LAZY play/attitude.

fivetwos

Reaction score
For many years Clowney had JJ Watt on the other side. Houston fans were never happy with him or his LAZY play/attitude.
Do you think that would apply on a one year prove it deal given what has happened to him?

I'm saying let's capitalize on him playing for that deal he expected to get.

We get a great season from a talented player and a comp pick.

Just saying Jerry has taken bigger chances on people.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think it's a production vs money thing. It's the final year of his deal and it's a straight 8M savings to cut bait.

He isnt a difference maker, and we have seen the best of him already. It only gets worse.

The real crime will not be him stealing 8M in potential future cap space, but if a guy like Jelks or Jackson is cut loose for him, and they catch on elsewhere and make it work.

Good post.

If Gregory comes back and you can get production from him/Smith/Jackson/Jelks, we'd be in a better off cutting Crawford and carrying over the saving.

The alternative for Crawford is to threaten/inform that he'll be cut and get him to split the $9m over two years (as we wont be able to afford to sign Smith and Gregory next year when they're FA's).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Do you think that would apply on a one year prove it deal given what has happened to him?

I'm saying let's capitalize on him playing for that deal he expected to get.

We get a great season from a talented player and a comp pick.

Just saying Jerry has taken bigger chances on people.

Will he take $18m? (if we cut Crawford)
Do we want to spend our whole CAP leaving nothing left for emergencies?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Will he take $18m? (if we cut Crawford)
Do we want to spend our whole CAP leaving nothing left for emergencies?
You mean 8, not 18?

I have no way of knowing and I dont blame Jerry for keeping the checkbook closed until we see if people will be buying Miller Lites at a 600% markup this season.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You mean 8, not 18?

I have no way of knowing and I dont blame Jerry for keeping the checkbook closed until we see if people will be buying Miller Lites at a 600% markup this season.

If we cut Crawford we'll have $18/$19m available.

Reactions: BAT

Kaiser

Reaction score

I think its likely we have expanded rosters or a taxi squad of some type this season because of the pandemic. If that happens one of the silver linings would be that we don't have to worry about losing Jelks, Jackson, Jon'Vea Johnson, Nooch, etc.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
All I can say about Clowney's chances of coming to Dallas is: I hope he enjoys his stay in Nawleans, if they're willing to meet his demands! :rolleyes:

kskboys

Reaction score

Cam hasn't been much good for a while now.