CNNSI: Bledsoe is back

Doomsday101

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells challenged his struggling offense to "do something" to keep pace with the high-scoring Kansas City Chiefs.

Then he gave them some gimmicks to help pull it off.

Getting touchdowns on a flea flicker, an end around inside the 10-yard line and a pass to a blocker who hadn't scored in two years, the Cowboys kept their playoff hopes alive by pulling out a 31-28 victory over Sunday in a tense, thrilling game befitting a matchup between Parcells and Dick Vermeil.

Drew Bledsoe had his best game in months, throwing for 332 yards and matching his season-best with three touchdowns. He led Dallas (8-5) on a go-ahead drive early in the fourth quarter, then took the club 68 yards in 14 plays for the winning score -- a 1-yard pass to tight end Dan Campbell with 22 seconds left.

"That was really a great drive, probably the best one of the year," Parcells said.

Yet ending their two-game losing streak wasn't that simple. The Cowboys had to hold their breath as Lawrence Tynes went for a 41-yard field goal that would've forced overtime. After a low snap, it went wide right, ending a three-game winning streak for the Chiefs (8-5).

The victory for Dallas does more for their confidence and outlook than it does in the standings. The Cowboys could've lost this one and still had a chance to finish 10-6, but they would've been in a real funk with a three-game losing streak and the next two on the road.

"This is a hugely important game for us," said Bledsoe, who was 22-of-34 with no turnovers. He also moved into fifth place on the career completions list, 15th on the career TD passes list and matched Warren Moon for the most 3,000-yard seasons. "But we've got to keep winning," he added.

The final play was only part of the frustration for Kansas City. The Chiefs also wasted 143 yards rushing and three touchdowns by Larry Johnson and 340 yards passing by Trent Green, plus a chance to move up in the AFC wild-card chase because of a loss by division rival San Diego.

Kansas City missed a chance to put the game away early as its first five possessions reached at least midfield, but only two ended in touchdowns. The Chiefs were at the Dallas 9, poised to go up 21-10, when Green was sacked by former teammate Scott Fujita and fumbled. Defensive end Marcus Spears returned it 59 yards, leading to a 26-yard touchdown pass from Bledsoe to Jason Witten that put Dallas up 17-14 at halftime.

"I'm sick to my stomach," said Green, who was 20-of-32. "No missed field goal cost us this game. We had many opportunities to win. That's the disappointing part."

Johnson ran pretty much at will for three quarters, racking up 126 of his yards by then to set a Chiefs record with six straight 100-yard games. The Cowboys hung in, thanks mostly to Bledsoe and some big plays.

Their first touchdown came on a perfectly executed flea flicker, with the defense falling for the handoff and Terry Glenn speeding past the coverage. Bledsoe heaved it deep and Glenn caught it in stride for his longest play since December 1998, which also came from Bledsoe during their New England days.

Glenn surprised the defense again early in the fourth quarter by taking a handoff on third-and-1 from the 6. He wound up with the first rushing touchdown of his career, putting Dallas up 24-21.

Green regained the lead for Kansas City with a 47-yard touchdown pass to Eddie Kennison with 3:55 left. Then came Bledsoe's big drive.

He kept it alive with two third-down completions, then Marion Barber III turned a short pass into a 21-yard gain to the 6. The Cowboys almost ran out of chances when Witten missed a fourth-down pass in the end zone, but holding was called. Officials pinned it on safety Greg Wesley, but replays showed linebacker Derrick Johnson was to blame.

"I was celebrating thinking it was over," Wesley said. "Then I see a flag. I thought, 'Wow, way to give them a second chance.' ... I made a great play and they were bailed out by the referees."

Given a second chance, Bledsoe hit Campbell for his third reception of the season and first touchdown since Nov. 9, 2003.

Glenn led Dallas with 138 yards on six catches and Witten had 93 yards on seven grabs. Barber ran for 82 yards.

Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez caught five passes for 94 yards and Kennison had 92 yards.

Notes: Parcells is now 1-1 against Vermeil. ... The Chiefs fell to 1-4 in games back in the area where they began in 1960 as the Dallas Texans. ... Glenn has a career-best seven TDs this season, counting his rushing score. ... Kansas City owner Lamar Hunt, a longtime Dallas resident, flipped the coin before kickoff and was honored with a video tribute after the first quarter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/12/11/bc.fbn.chiefs.cowboys.ap/index.html

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Bledsoe is not "back". He's the same QB he's been all year. When he's been given time in the pocket, particularly playing at home, he delivers in a big way. It's been on the road under pressure when he has struggled. Let's see how he holds up sunday @Was. I'm hoping for a true breakout performance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JohnsKey19 said:
Bledsoe is not "back". He's the same QB he's been all year. When he's been given time in the pocket, particularly playing at home, he delivers in a big way. It's been on the road under pressure when he has struggled. Let's see how he holds up sunday @Was. I'm hoping for a true breakout performance.

He is the same QB and a very fine one at that, he has been blasted as of late and yesterday in a critical game the man stepped up and passed for over 300 yards 3 TD passes with no Ints. he deserves the headlines he is getting this morning.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
JohnsKey19 said:

:hammer:

lspain1

Reaction score
I like Drew Bledsoe. I am not so fond of our O-Line. They need to put this one in the confidence bank and let Bledsoe be Bledsoe.

PA Cowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
The Cowboys almost ran out of chances when Witten missed a fourth-down pass in the end zone, but holding was called. Officials pinned it on safety Greg Wesley, but replays showed linebacker Derrick Johnson was to blame.

"I was celebrating thinking it was over," Wesley said. "Then I see a flag. I thought, 'Wow, way to give them a second chance.' ... I made a great play and they were bailed out by the referees."

Say it with me now ..... SOUR GRAPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hey Wesley, maybe it was DJ that bailed the Boys out. Or maybe w/o the holding you don't make a "great play" and the Boys score anyway!!! :lmao2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
PA Cowboy said:
Say it with me now ..... SOUR GRAPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hey Wesley, maybe it was DJ that bailed the Boys out. Or maybe w/o the holding you don't make a "great play" and the Boys score anyway!!! :lmao2:

If DJ does not hold Witten it is an easy TD. DJ looked as if he expected Witten to go outside, once Witten went inside the only thing DJ could do was to hook him.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
He is the same QB and a very fine one at that, he has been blasted as of late and yesterday in a critical game the man stepped up and passed for over 300 yards 3 TD passes with no Ints. he deserves the headlines he is getting this morning.

He's not back because he NEVER left....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
He's not back because he NEVER left....

I agree he never left but after some of the abuse he has been taking I can promise you no one feels better than Bledsoe does today.

alancdc

Reaction score
I thought the throw to Whitten for the TO was the best throw of the day. What a throw.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
trickblue said:

:hammer: double that. I get tickled that one game and everyone thinks Bledsoe is back or its all good.

I love the win and love that Bledsoe played well, despite my misgivings. But my contention always this year has been, its a different Bledsoe on the road, especially lately.

I really hope I am wrong and Bledsoe lights it up next week.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
:hammer: double that. I get tickled that one game and everyone thinks Bledsoe is back or its all good.

I love the win and love that Bledsoe played well, despite my misgivings. But my contention always this year has been, its a different Bledsoe on the road, especially lately.

I really hope I am wrong and Bledsoe lights it up next week.

Some of us have not changed their minds about Bledsoe from day 1. Give him some time in the pocket and he will get the job done.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Some of us have not changed their minds about Bledsoe from day 1. Give him some time in the pocket and he will get the job done.

Thats fine and dandy. But maybe its me, but I find that any NFL qb worth their salt are good when given time in pocket. Its no secret.

So I find that laughable when people keep saying Bledsoe will be good if he is proctected. No kidding, I didn't know that was such a secret. No, I am not trying to single you out etc., but I find that argument silly.

I mean, show me NFL starting Qb who even just above average, who is not good when given time in pocket? Its the great ones that can make good when things are not so good around them. Thats where Drew most of the times comes up short.

That doesn't mean he is not a good QB etc. Its just that he is not a Qb that can take a team on his shoulders and get them to promised land. Do I rather have a Jeff Garcia than Drew Bledsoe? Heck no. Drew is the best one to have since Aikman. But thats not saying much, its like choosing the best stinking Skunk or is it least stinking Skunk, IMO.

Forget my opinion or people who think like I do about Bledsoe. Here is excerpt from Jenn Floyd Engles article, that pretty much sums up my view about him pretty well too:

While finding a watchable TV show or two has been a recent endeavor, I also find time to read books. I just finished The Education of a Coach, David Halberstam’s fine work on Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Belichick is interesting. Very interesting.

What caught my attention, though, was how he takes an absolute blow torch to Bledsoe. He pegged him for done four seasons ago. Here are a couple of interesting excerpts.

DISCLAIMER: These opinions are Belichick's, not mine. So find his e-mail address if you disagree.

On Bledsoe's mobility: “As he got older and had been hit repeatedly, he seemed even less mobile … another worry was he held the ball too long, that his arm strength and the offensive sets from which he operated had taught him to look downfield hoping for the big play rather than take the quick square-in that the defense had given …”

On his problems: “When you look at Drew, you see a guy who’s been through so many systems that it’s hard to stick to the plan. He knows he is supposed to throw the square-in, but he starts thinking, ‘Maybe, I can hit the deep post for a touchdown.’ Then when he realizes the deep post is not there, it’s too late for the square-in. I think that kind of doubt has crept into his thinking and caused him to make some mistakes.”

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Thats fine and dandy. But maybe its me, but I find that any NFL qb worth their salt are good when given time in pocket. Its no secret.

Evidently, there are very few NFL QB's worth their salt. I'm glad we got one of them. I think Bledsoe is a better QB at in his 30's than Aikman was in his 30's.

But I also have no problems with drafting a QB this year to provide some competition for Romo in 07.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

So I find that laughable when people keep saying Bledsoe will be good if he is proctected. No kidding, I didn't know that was such a secret. No, I am not trying to single you out etc., but I find that argument silly.

I mean, show me NFL starting Qb who even just above average, who is not good when given time in pocket? Its the great ones that can make good when things are not so good around them. Thats where Drew most of the times comes up short.

That doesn't mean he is not a good QB etc. Its just that he is not a Qb that can take a team on his shoulders and get them to promised land. Do I rather have a Jeff Garcia than Drew Bledsoe? Heck no. Drew is the best one to have since Aikman. But thats not saying much, its like choosing the best stinking Skunk or is it least stinking Skunk, IMO.

Forget my opinion or people who think like I do about Bledsoe. Here is excerpt from Jenn Floyd Engles article, that pretty much sums up my view about him pretty well too:

While finding a watchable TV show or two has been a recent endeavor, I also find time to read books. I just finished The Education of a Coach, David Halberstam’s fine work on Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

What caught my attention, though, was how he takes an absolute blow torch to Bledsoe. He pegged him for done four seasons ago. Here are a couple of interesting excerpts.

DISCLAIMER: These opinions are Belichick's, not mine. So find his e-mail address if you disagree.

On Bledsoe's mobility: “As he got older and had been hit repeatedly, he seemed even less mobile … another worry was he held the ball too long, that his arm strength and the offensive sets from which he operated had taught him to look downfield hoping for the big play rather than take the quick square-in that the defense had given …”

On his problems: “When you look at Drew, you see a guy who’s been through so many systems that it’s hard to stick to the plan. He knows he is supposed to throw the square-in, but he starts thinking, ‘Maybe, I can hit the deep post for a touchdown.’ Then when he realizes the deep post is not there, it’s too late for the square-in. I think that kind of doubt has crept into his thinking and caused him to make some mistakes.”

and Belichick is right...but I think that Bledsoe has still enough respect for Parcells to atleast look every once and awhile for the square-in...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

I think it is laughable when people act as if Bledsoe is the only QB who needs protection. Hell manning has all day to throw the ball and the fact is any QB without protection will fail. When Aikman had protection he had success when that protection started to fade so did the team and so did Troy. I have not flipped flopped on Bledsoe I think he is a very good QB with some real talent and is a big asset to this team

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think it is laughable when people act as if Bledsoe is the only QB who needs protection. Hell manning has all day to throw the ball and the fact is any QB without protection will fail. When Aikman had protection he had success when that protection started to fade so did the team and so did Troy. I have not flipped flopped on Bledsoe I think he is a very good QB with some real talent and is a big asset to this team

Troy Aikman wasn't worth his salt when he had Clay Shiver, Everett McIver and Solomon Page blocking for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Troy Aikman wasn't worth his salt when he had Clay Shiver and Solomon Page blocking for him.

I agree and looking at all the top QB's you see some damn good blocking in front of them. Games are won and lost at the line that has been the case since this game was invented and it still holds true today. Now what a QB does when he has some time to set and throw that is another story.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

You are really answering your own assumption by your first statement. I am not sure where you are disagreeing with me?

Really, you mean the Mediocre WRs he had to throw to didn't have anything do with that? I didn't know Keyshaun Johnson/Terry Glenn/Jason Whitten compared pretty well to Billy Davis, Stephret Williams, David Lafluer etc., other than Michael Irvin that is?

Aikman started fade when his blanket Jay retired, not when protection started to break. Its revisionist history to say otherwise.

Manning seldom takes sacks because he throws the ball quickly not just because his line gives him 10 secs every play or even 5 secs every play. You should watch Tom Brady on the lesson on how to avoid sacks. He is as immobile as Bledsoe, but he just doesn't hold the ball that long to take sacks, since he rather dump off the pass.

Heck forget me, I guess You know better than Bill Belichek I guess. Like I said some will want to watch the game the way want to watch it, IMO. I Guess in your opinion, the faults mostly lies on our OL, for that matter any Bledsoe fan is saying that. Well, I guess we disagree there.

Heck I remember when Cowboys played Bills in 2003, I remember in this same board ( well on different location), everyone was smacking their lips on how many sacks our DL would get because of Bledsoe patting the ball and not just because their OL was horrible. I guess times have changed. Anyway, forget it, its obvious that you think Bledsoe can do no wrong, the fault is always on someone else or if not all the time I guess most of the time.

Anyway, my original intention was not get into argument about Bledsoe. But to caution on not getting over excited about one game. But I guess I should have known better about Questioning Bledsoe here with some.