CNNSI: Bledsoe is back

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
and Belichick is right...but I think that Bledsoe has still enough respect for Parcells to atleast look every once and awhile for the square-in...

True, and that where my hope was about Bledsoe. But he doesn't do that enough. I have seen it live in the game when I was at the stadium that he takes too much time to check down, instead holding the ball for long ball.

But I guess, if we win, I dont care how long he holds the ball. But don't just keep dumping on OL everytime there is a sack though, as if Bledsoe's play hasn't have any effect on that.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Troy Aikman wasn't worth his salt when he had Clay Shiver, Everett McIver and Solomon Page blocking for him.

Isn't it amazing, no matter how many boards or Nicknames the person changes, their ammo remains the same? Never say anything bad of Starting QB or any starting player for the most part, be it Quincy or Bledsoe. I guess at least that is consistant :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
You are really answering your own assumption by your first statement. I am not sure where you are disagreeing with me?

Really, you mean the Mediocre WRs he had to throw to didn't have anything do with that? I didn't know Keyshaun Johnson/Terry Glenn/Jason Whitten compared pretty well to Billy Davis, Stephret Williams, David Lafluer etc., other than Michael Irvin that is?

Aikman started fade when his blanket Jay retired, not when protection started to break. Its revisionist history to say otherwise.

Manning seldom takes sacks because he throws the ball quickly not just because his line gives him 10 secs every play or even 5 secs every play. You should watch Tom Brady on the lesson on how to avoid sacks. He is as immobile as Bledsoe, but he just doesn't hold the ball that long to take sacks, since he rather dump off the pass.

Heck forget me, I guess You know better than Bill Belichek I guess. Like I said some will want to watch the game the way want to watch it, IMO. I Guess in your opinion, the faults mostly lies on our OL, for that matter any Bledsoe fan is saying that. Well, I guess we disagree there.

Heck I remember when Cowboys played Bills in 2003, I remember in this same board ( well on different location), everyone was smacking their lips on how many sacks our DL would get because of Bledsoe patting the ball and not just because their OL was horrible. I guess times have changed. Anyway, forget it, its obvious that you think Bledsoe can do no wrong, the fault is always on someone else or if not all the time I guess most of the time.

Anyway, my original intention was not get into argument about Bledsoe. But to caution on not getting over excited about one game. But I guess I should have known better about Questioning Bledsoe here with some.

Not revisionist at all when Dallas line started to suffer so did Troy as for Manning the guy has all fricken day to sit back and read the field. I watched the Jacksonville game yesterday (As well as many other Colt games) and Manning on several occasion had over 5 sec in the pocket to sit back and find the open men. As for Bledsoe doing no wrong I don't think that about any QB I do think Drew is a very good QB and has done a good job for this team.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Not revisionist at all when Dallas line started to suffer so did Troy as for Manning the guy has all fricken day to sit back and read the field. I watched the Jacksonville game yesterday (As well as many other Colt games) and Manning on several occasion had over 5 sec in the pocket to sit back and find the open men. As for Bledsoe doing no wrong I don't think that about any QB I do think Drew is a very good QB and has done a good job for this team.

Right on, whatever you say dude. I guess I learn something from this board every day. I guess Troy must be dreaming when he said the biggest loss was Jay Novachek, when things started going downhill. I guess he was covering up for his OL.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Isn't it amazing, no matter how many boards or Nicknames the person changes, their ammo remains the same? Never say anything bad of Starting QB or any starting player for the most part, be it Quincy or Bledsoe. I guess at least that is consistant :D

I just found it funny that you are using the same arguments against Bledsoe that the Aikman detractors have been saying for years and are still using when they say he isn't a HOF caliber QB ... he produced when he's got all the pieces around him, but mediocre otherwise. The team around him raised his level of play, not vice versa.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I just found it funny that you are using the same arguments against Bledsoe that the Aikman detractors have been saying for years ... he's great when he's got all the pieces around him, but mediocre otherwise. The team around him raises his play, not vice-versa.

Yep, funny how that argument sounds very similar to what I heard from you about QUincy in a different Nick then ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Right on, whatever you say dude. I guess I learn something from this board every day. I guess Troy must be dreaming when he said the biggest loss was Jay Novachek, when things started going downhill. I guess he was covering up for his OL.

I did not say losing Jay did not hurt because Jay was the safety valve but that does not change the fact that when our line started losing starters and the running game started to suffer and so did Troy's numbers. You act as if the Oline means nothing well those star players don't do jack when the line plays poorly.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Last week I thought Bledsoe played poorly when he had time to throw in the pocket.

This week he played exceptionally, but you also have to give the guy a lot of credit in that he was making a lot of those passes with pressure on him. It was not as if he had all day all the time. He got nailed and had a few in his face on many occassions and hung in there.

So don't just say that any QB, with the time, will succeed because Drew did not have THAT much time yesterday.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I did not say losing Jay did not hurt because Jay was the safety valve but that does not change the fact that when our line started losing starters and the running game started to suffer and so did Troy's numbers. You act as if the Oline means nothing well those star players don't do jack when the line plays poorly.

Point out where I said OL play has nothing to do with a QB play? You seem to have selective memory or quote from me? I have said, any average NFL QB with a good OL can be good. Its the great ones that are good when things are falling around them.

Aikman proved time and again about that. Not when he had to throw to Billy Davis et al, while having Clay Shiver etc. Blocking too. Thats way too many things to overcome. No one expects any QB to overcome that. And Bledsoe has plenty more Weapons than Aikman had since 95. Heck you could argue, except for RB, I would say Bledsoe has as good weapons even during SB years ( although I would say Irvin was much better than Johson), minus the OL obviously. No OL can be that good as Cowboys had at that time and probably never will be one like that ever.

Maybe you guys should watch Tom Brady, whose starting OL is pretty much decimated and he still mostly plays at high level. But then its maybe me, I expect too much out of a Dallas QB. But I Digress, you think its all about OL and I think its not. I knew I would get that argument, so I should have known better.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Last week I thought Bledsoe played poorly when he had time to throw in the pocket.

This week he played exceptionally, but you also have to give the guy a lot of credit in that he was making a lot of those passes with pressure on him. It was not as if he had all day all the time. He got nailed and had a few in his face on many occassions and hung in there.

So don't just say that any QB, with the time, will succeed because Drew did not have THAT much time yesterday.

See my statments and I never said that. I said an average to above average NFL QB not any QB.

But I agree with your statements about Bledsoe yesterday. I am not arguing about that. I just have issue when people say, all the sacks are due to OL not blocking well or at least most of the sacks. My contention is close to anywhere between 40-50% of the sacks are due to Bledsoe holding onto the ball too long then required. When you have a bad OL, you have to help them too, by dumping off the ball quickly and not hold on for big play.

Its like expecting Keyshaun run a deep routes, same as Glenn. You have to work around the talent around you. Thats all.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Point out where I said OL play has nothing to do with a QB play? You seem to have selective memory or quote from me? I have said, any average NFL QB with a good OL can be good. Its the great ones that are good when things are falling around them.

Aikman proved time and again about that. Not when he had to throw to Billy Davis et al, while having Clay Shiver etc. Blocking too. Thats way too many things to overcome. No one expects any QB to overcome that. And Bledsoe has plenty more Weapons than Aikman had since 95. Heck you could argue, except for RB, I would say Bledsoe has as good weapons even during SB years ( although I would say Irvin was much better than Johson), minus the OL obviously. No OL can be that good as Cowboys had at that time and probably never will be one like that ever.

Maybe you guys should watch Tom Brady, whose starting OL is pretty much decimated and he still mostly plays at high level. But then its maybe me, I expect too much out of a Dallas QB. But I Digress, you think its all about OL and I think its not. I knew I would get that argument, so I should have known better.

I have always believed QB get too much credit for wins and too much for loses. I would agree not all sacks are on the lineman however I would not put it at 40 to 50% of the time. Drew at times does hold on to the ball as did Aikman at times when he would wait until the WR to come free, he would deliver the ball and end up taking a massive hit but he stood in there regardless. Lastly I do think the guys who have a lot to do with the success or failure of a team is the big men up front.

aikemirv

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
See my statments and I never said that. I said an average to above average NFL QB not any QB.

But I agree with your statements about Bledsoe yesterday. I am not arguing about that. I just have issue when people say, all the sacks are due to OL not blocking well or at least most of the sacks. My contention is close to anywhere between 40-50% of the sacks are due to Bledsoe holding onto the ball too long then required. When you have a bad OL, you have to help them too, by dumping off the ball quickly and not hold on for big play.

Its like expecting Keyshaun run a deep routes, same as Glenn. You have to work around the talent around you. Thats all.

I agree with that too, and one example was yesterday when Pettiti made a good block and gave Bledsoe time, but Bledsoe should have gotten rid of the ball.

He did not and was sacked.

Could have Pettiti held the block longer, sure, but Bledsoe should have gotten rid of the ball by then.

Bledsoe does hold the ball a little long, no doubt. That is his knock and his deficiency, he needs to use his checkdowns more. BP did a nice job with Drew yesterday throwing in the passes to the Fullback and such getting Bledsoes eyes a little off the big gain here and there and if he can continue that Drew will have a good end to the season.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I agree with that too, and one example was yesterday when Pettiti made a good block and gave Bledsoe time, but Bledsoe should have gotten rid of the ball.

He did not and was sacked.

Could have Pettiti held the block longer, sure, but Bledsoe should have gotten rid of the ball by then.

Bledsoe does hold the ball a little long, no doubt. That is his knock and his deficiency, he needs to use his checkdowns more. BP did a nice job with Drew yesterday throwing in the passes to the Fullback and such getting Bledsoes eyes a little off the big gain here and there and if he can continue that Drew will have a good end to the season.
And you'll never know the times when he held onto the ball a second longer and made a play that wouldn't have been there had he just thrown the ball into sidelines. Some of Bledsoe's biggest throws in clutch situations this year have been with defenders draped all over him. Its so funny to see fans pulling their hair out about conservative playcalling, and then turn around and say that they would rather see our QB throw the ball away and settle for the punt than try to make a big play down the field.

aikemirv

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
And you'll never know the times when he held onto the ball a second longer and made a play that wouldn't have been there had he just thrown the ball into sidelines and settled for a punt.

Not talking about throwing it away, I am talking about checkdowns and not trying to get the big play all the time.

Not knocking him, but why did the Patriots get rid of him. It was for this very reason and the fact that Brady would spread the ball around and not try to make the big play every time.

Best Qb we have had since Aikman, no doubt. We would not be 8-5 without him and I thankful to have him, but guess what, with BP I think he can get better in his "old age"!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Not talking about throwing it away, I am talking about checkdowns and not trying to get the big play all the time.

Not knocking him, but why did the Patriots get rid of him. It was for this very reason and the fact that Brady would spread the ball around and not try to make the big play every time.

Best Qb we have had since Aikman, no doubt. We would not be 8-5 without him and I thankful to have him, but guess what, with BP I think he can get better in his "old age"!

Main reason he was released from the Pats is no team is going to have a backup sitting on a bench collecting a big pay check. Brady is an outstanding QB so it was an easy call for the Pats to make.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

Yep agree with you. And perhaps, that where my dissappointment comes from. Perhaps not fair to Bledsoe, I guess, but like you I agree, we would not be 8-5 without him, no doubt.

Really, my issue is not about current situation, my real issue is, that BP will settle with Bledsoe and never give the young guys a chance even if they show good improvement, because he trusts Bledsoe more. I guess we just have wait and see, and hope, that Bledsoe starts helping the OL little bit more.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, I agree with much of what Belichick said there. I think that Bledsoe does struggle with those very things. It is always something that must be controlled or he will become his own worst enemy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Yep agree with you. And perhaps, that where my dissappointment comes from. Perhaps not fair to Bledsoe, I guess, but like you I agree, we would not be 8-5 without him, no doubt.

Really, my issue is not about current situation, my real issue is, that BP will settle with Bledsoe and never give the young guys a chance even if they show good improvement, because he trusts Bledsoe more. I guess we just have wait and see, and hope, that Bledsoe starts helping the OL little bit more.

Part of that is what these young guys are doing in practice. Bill gets to see them everyday and should have a better indication of where these guys are. Throwing them out there would only show the fans what Bill already knows which is evidently they are not ready and we are not going to throw a season away to prove it.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I have always believed QB get too much credit for wins and too much for loses. I would agree not all sacks are on the lineman however I would not put it at 40 to 50% of the time. Drew at times does hold on to the ball as did Aikman at times when he would wait until the WR to come free, he would deliver the ball and end up taking a massive hit but he stood in there regardless. Lastly I do think the guys who have a lot to do with the success or failure of a team is the big men up front.

Well I agree with you mostly here. But I do disagree that everything or lot depends on Big men. BP said it few weeks ago. The QB has to help the OL too, by making quicker decisions. LIke I said, you just can't expect a first year Tackle to play like a Seasoned veteran. You have to dump off, and not wait for long ball most of the time, when you can't find the long one quickly.

But anyway, I hope I am proved wrong, and Bledsoe plays well here on out. Especially on Road, which were I get most concerned with Bledsoe.