Recap: Coach Mac on Roster Cuts and Rookies

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph Trade
  • He has opportunity in Miami to play inside. He was lower on depth chart for us.
  • Don't want to get into specifics on how roster came together. Talk about it in a day when moves finished.
  • Miami personnel department was interested in his ability to play inside. Our Personnel guys have a 24 hour day ahead of them. Same thing.
  • Noah Igbinoghene is more outside than inside. I was impressed with his video lining up against top receivers.
  • I can't answer why it didn't work out for Noah in Miami.
Jourdan Lewis
  • Ahead of schedule. Testament to him.
  • Can't give you specific date yet.
  • Iz (Israel Mukuamu) plays slot too. But a lot of it is how we distribute safeties. Will be more clarity in a day or two.
Sean McKeon
  • Our goal is to keep 69-70 of these guys and 3rd QB obviously plays into that now, Had 77 players on my last Super Bowl Team
  • Tough when you look a young man in eye and he has done all right things but you don't have the spots available
  • Hunter's performance against Raiders obviously had to take notice too
  • Benefit of 3 preseason games is less injury but not as much evaluating time as would like
Jabril Cox
  • Linebacker is thin because of safeties, but once you see roster come together and get going will make sense
  • Deepest safety group I've ever had and gives us flexibility
  • He overcame his injury. You could see he was struggling his first year but he was back to his original self now. Just competitive situation.
  • 2020 we re-did roster and now seeing benefit. Hard to find big guys.
Offensive Line Depth
  • Another wait until tomorrow to see final answers
  • I have confidence in our young players, they had more opportunity to play with Zack not being there
  • TJ Bass - just kept getting better, lower leg strength and ability to stick and stay, but kept improving, right mindset, earned his spot
  • Center - Look me up tomorrow.
  • OL connection is biggest challenge of any position on field.
  • Always looking for position flex with backup offensive linemen. Need that.
Will Grier
  • I'm all for a 4th QB, but we only have 53 spots. 4 QBs makes too much sense, but it's how you make it happen.
  • If Grier is picked up on a 53 deserves it.
Isaac Alarcon
  • Proud of him and way he represents himself, family and country. (Mexican reporter asked) He took it very serious.
  • I told him I wish we had moved him to defensive line sooner. He's more natural.
  • Weight room, nutrition, he did everything we asked him to do.
Brandon Aubrey
  • Was right decision to go with him early because gave him all the reps
  • I like the way he goes about it. I feel that our 3 ST guys have been in sync since preseason week two.
Hunter Luepke
  • He came on strong last few weeks in TC. Fast game for him in beginning, but we have definitely noticed him lately.
Practice Squad
  • (P-Word) was outstanding for our game and new rules. Veteran practice squad is best addition.
  • You start with these men in April. Definitely going to keep 70 based on my experience.
  • You have to utilize more roster spots. It's a good rule, and great for veteran players too. A lot of players in their mid-years lost out on opportunities.
  • Discussions on cuts only start in 4th quarter. Last few days. I think it's terrible how people already want to pick a 53 early. You have to give these men a chance.
  • There have been part of conversations if the player brings it to me. But don't think it's healthy to initiate these cut conversations too soon.
  • My goal is 20-24% rookies to make it on 53. So glad 11 guys made it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kelvin Joseph Trade
  • He has opportunity in Miami to play inside. He was lower on depth chart for us.
  • Don't want to get into specifics on how roster came together. Talk about it in a day when moves finished.
  • Miami personnel department was interested in his ability to play inside. Our Personnel guys have a 24 hour day ahead of them. Same thing.
  • Noah Igbinoghene is more outside than inside. I was impressed with his video lining up against top receivers.
Jourdan Lewis
  • Iz (Israel Mukuamu) plays slot too. But a lot of it is how we distribute safeties. Will be more clarity in a day or two.
Sean McKeon
  • Our goal is to keep 69-70 of these guys and 3rd QB obviously plays into that now, Had 77 players on my last Super Bowl Team
  • Tough when you look a young man in eye and he has done all right things but you don't have the spots available
  • Benefit of 3 preseason games is less injury but not as much evaluating time as would like
Jabril Cox
  • Linebacker is thin because of safeties, but once you see roster come together and get going will make sense
  • He overcame his injury. You could see he was struggling his first year but he was back to his original self now. Just competitive situation.
Offensive Line Depth
  • I have confidence in our young players, they had more opportunity to play with Zack not being there
  • TJ Bass - just kept getting better, lower leg strength and ability to stick and stay, but kept improving, right mindset, earned his spot
Will Grier
  • I'm all for a 4th QB, but we only have 53 spots. 4 QBs makes too much sense, but it's how you make it happen.
Isaac Alarcon
  • Proud of him and way he represents himself, family and country. (Mexican reporter asked) He took it very serious.
  • I told him I wish we had moved him to defensive line sooner. He's more natural.
Brandon Aubrey
  • I like the way he goes about it. I feel that our 3 ST guys have been in sync since preseason week two.
Hunter Luepke
  • He came on strong last few weeks in TC. Fast game for him in beginning, but we have definitely noticed him lately.
Practice Squad
  • (P-Word) was outstanding for our game and new rules. Veteran practice squad is best addition.
  • You start with these men in April. Definitely going to keep 70 based on my experience.
  • You have to utilize more roster spots. It's a good rule, and great for veteran players too. A lot of players in their mid-years lost out on opportunities.
  • Discussions on cuts only start in 4th quarter. Last few days. I think it's terrible how people already want to pick a 53 early. You have to give these men a chance.
  • There have been part of conversations if the player brings it to me. But don't think it's healthy to initiate these cut conversations too soon.

Thanks as always, appreciate your efforts very much.
:bow:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bill Parcells said expect a 30% to 35% at times, turn around in your team every year, of course depending how deep you team is.
So for a good team like Dallas, MM's % is right on par, and if you consider FA players gained and lost, may get you closer to that 30%

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Appreciate the explanation on moving Joseph. Was thinking this was the best he's looked and was wondering if trading him was the right move but hearing that it's an inside/outside preference makes sense.

Good comments on Bass, glad the hear MM's recognition of OL cohesiveness being the biggest challenge on the field, and looking forward the OL in general being better defined.

Onward!

Creeper

Reaction score
I'd like to see the league change the rule on roster cut downs to allow teams to just move players directly to the practice squad instead of releasing them and subjecting them to claims from other teams. Then allow 4 players to be protected on the practice squad. There is something special about drafting developmental players and turning them into productive NFL players. I never felt too much churn was good for the NFL.

Creeper

Reaction score
Appreciate the explanation on moving Joseph. Was thinking this was the best he's looked and was wondering if trading him was the right move but hearing that it's an inside/outside preference makes sense.

Good comments on Bass, glad the hear MM's recognition of OL cohesiveness being the biggest challenge on the field, and looking forward the OL in general being better defined.

Onward!
I am a little concerned about slot CB. Bland had a good year last year filling in to Lewis, but he did not look especially good in preseason. Then, Lewis is coming off a bad foot injury and we have no idea if he will be the same player when he returns. Mukuamu can play slot CB, but do we want him to? I need to see the completed roster after all the moves are made but I am concerned about depth at CB and who will be on special teams.

I think the Cowboys tool a big risk trading Joseph and keeping Eric Scott on the roster.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you don't get why Mike is better coach than Garrett not sure what to tell ya at this point.
Most definitely a top 10 NFL Coach who understands all the details that play into being the best team you can be.

whispers... Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl.

pitt33

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph Trade
Jourdan Lewis
Sean McKeon
Jabril Cox
Offensive Line Depth
Will Grier
Isaac Alarcon
Brandon Aubrey
Hunter Luepke
Practice Squad

Great outline.

Thanks man.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I am a little concerned about slot CB. Bland had a good year last year filling in to Lewis, but he did not look especially good in preseason. Then, Lewis is coming off a bad foot injury and we have no idea if he will be the same player when he returns. Mukuamu can play slot CB, but do we want him to? I need to see the completed roster after all the moves are made but I am concerned about depth at CB and who will be on special teams.

I think the Cowboys tool a big risk trading Joseph and keeping Eric Scott on the roster.
Bland was playing a lot of outside corner in the preseason. I don't think that is his strength.

Reactions: CWR

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If you don't get why Mike is better coach than Garrett not sure what to tell ya at this point.
Most definitely a top 10 NFL Coach who understands all the details that play into being the best team you can be.

All about culture change. In Garrett's defense, he understood that too. He just couldn't get it done.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Bill Parcells said expect a 30% to 35% at times, turn around in your team every year, of course depending how deep you team is.
So for a good team like Dallas, MM's % is right on par, and if you consider FA players gained and lost, may get you closer to that 30%
That's what made all those Belicheck teams good, after every super bowl they never come back with the same team. The NFL you always need to churn the roster.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
I'd like to see the league change the rule on roster cut downs to allow teams to just move players directly to the practice squad instead of releasing them and subjecting them to claims from other teams. Then allow 4 players to be protected on the practice squad. There is something special about drafting developmental players and turning them into productive NFL players. I never felt too much churn was good for the NFL.
That's how it is in Madden! But my players always getting poached lol

erod

Reaction score
That would be horrible for the players. Practice squad guys make very little money.

Mcsports

Reaction score
They'd have to adjust the salary cap for such a move. Practice team players make about 25 to 30 percent (per week) as much as those on rosters. You'd be limiting their ability to make money by doing that.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Wait....What.....you didn't appreciate the endless Jason Garrett diatribe about process of the Dallas football Cowboys...

Big_D

Reaction score
All about culture change. In Garrett's defense, he understood that too. He just couldn't get it done.

Culture change is only one tiny aspect. The evaluation process stunk and for 10 years the team had no idea how to properly build a roster. They were just winging it.

Plankton

Reaction score

4d728d584d6fc8eef09eeca51767e566.gif