Coach that never punts , next dallas HC?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's more than an opinion it would fail.
Look at the 4th down conversion rate in the NFL.
Well your not getting it, that is irrelevant, it is much different when you go for it all the time as opposed to once every 3 games lol.
The repetitiveness makes you better at it than if you just do it occasionally. That is true with anything.
Also there is a psychological advantage if you do it a lot.

plus they dont get every try, they fail too, but it still works out to their advantage.

Watch 4 or more of the videos and listen to what he says, then maybe you understand better.

Hardline

Reaction score
Well your not getting it, that is irrelevant, it is much different when you go for it all the time as opposed to once every 3 games lol.
The repetitiveness makes you better at it than if you just do it occasionally. That is true with anything.
Also there is a psychological advantage if you do it a lot.

plus they dont get every try, they fail too, but it still works out to their advantage.

Watch 4 or more of the videos and listen to what he says, then maybe you understand better.
If it worked it would've been tried already.
This is the NFL. Not high school
If I'm an NFL defensive coordinator I'm begging an offense to go for it on 4th down every time.
That 4th and 8 on the opponents 34 yard line has me licking my chops.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He never punts?

What if he is up by 6 points with :30 seconds left in the 4th quarter? He has a 4th and 20 from his own 5 yard line.

If he refuses to punt the football he is an idiot.

Well, and I'm just spit balling here, if the guy never punts and he believes in playing the odds, then odds are that he never practices punts because why would you if you never do it? So, in that situation, if you never practice it then odds are that a punt is going to go bad for you so you run a play in that situation. If you fail to make and they go in and score, causing you to loose the game, you can fire him on Monday.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He never punts?

What if he is up by 6 points with :30 seconds left in the 4th quarter? He has a 4th and 20 from his own 5 yard line.

If he refuses to punt the football he is an idiot.
Maybe he has his qp go out and purposely throw an INT...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
That's very interesting and a neat thing for high school football.

You'd be crushed in the NFL if you tried this. 80% of the time giving the other NFL team the ball at the 48 yard line? Essentially at midfield?

This guys methods would get him destroyed in the NFL. Hell they'd get him destroyed in college most likely.

MistyAnn

Reaction score
First of all, he should probably progress beyond high school before someone in the NFL thinks about hiring him. Second, he usually has much more talent than his opponents which greatly helps. If an NFL team tried this it would not work out well for them.
Chip Kelly could give it a go.
I always believed in going for it on 4rt down once you are past midfield and chasing a season, that time in the season when you go into 4 down territory early rather than just wait to "not make it". I don't think Garrett will be doing anything too risky.
Nice maths lesson here though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Art Briles didn’t like to punt either. Incredible the times he went for it even on his side of the field. We knew if we were near midfield it wasn’t even an option. I’ve never seen anything like it in Div I.

Talk about someone who might make a great OC or HC In NFL. His aggressive offensive style if he could amasse the talent could be interesting.

He turned a dormant school which averaged winning only 1 game a year in Big 12 conference into back to back champs and a national contender .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of you probably know of this, some may not, I like this guy cause he is innovative and bold.
I would like to see him as NFL HC. he did say in one vid sometime back he would like to coach the
cowboys.
He wins championships against bigger schools, yet other colleges and NFL ignore him !

Great story !!
I love and follow HS football passionately.

It wouldn’t work in NFL of course because you don’t have the inequality of talent like they often do at Amateur level.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In NFL you have to go with the percentages. That doesn’t mean you can’t take some calculated risk.

But I imagine if a coach started kicking onside kick every time or going for it on 4th down inside their 20 they might not survive the season.

It might have some success against the lesser teams in the league if you were over matched but not against the better defenses and teams.

MistyAnn

Reaction score
The Jags should have gone for it on 4rth and one from their 40 in last years AFC Championship game, even though the conservative thing to do is to punt it away, the patriots werent' bothered if they were going to get the ball on the Jag 40 or their own 20 as long as they got the ball back, that time it made sense to try and keep the ball, which was a pity because the Jags D had some chance of stopping the Eagles, the Pats D couldn't stop a lick.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The Jags should have gone for it on 4rth and one from their 40 in last years AFC Championship game, even though the conservative thing to do is to punt it away, the patriots werent' bothered if they were going to get the ball on the Jag 40 or their own 20 as long as they got the ball back, that time it made sense to try and keep the ball, which was a pity because the Jags D had some chance of stopping the Eagles, the Pats D couldn't stop a lick.
Yes they should have, but if they fail, then people think the coach was wrong to do it.
The thing is NFL teams are not mentally prepared for 4th down try's, so more mental pressure on them, and they dont execute
the play as good, and many times use the wrong type play.

Back in the old days, teams would fake a run and throw deep and have a guy wide open.

The thing about this coach and his team, is they are prepared to do it, they have a good selection of plays to run, and mentally
they are not nervous about it. They do it so much it is normal to them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In NFL you have to go with the percentages. That doesn’t mean you can’t take some calculated risk.

But I imagine if a coach started kicking onside kick every time or going for it on 4th down inside their 20 they might not survive the season.

It might have some success against the lesser teams in the league if you were over matched but not against the better defenses and teams.
Well no nfl team is prepared to kick onside every time, you would have to practice it alot, and do it different ways, and be good at it
for it to work. Same for 4th downs.

But no nfl owner has the guts to try this or hire a coach like this to try it.
If cleveland or some of the other losers hired him and tried it, what would it hurt ??
They couldnt do much worse and fans would go to the games just to see it lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well no nfl team is prepared to kick onside every time, you would have to practice it alot, and do it different ways, and be good at it
for it to work. Same for 4th downs.

But no nfl owner has the guts to try this or hire a coach like this to try it.
If cleveland or some of the other losers hired him and tried it, what would it hurt ??
They couldnt do much worse and fans would go to the games just to see it lol.
You really believe that? Ok