Twitter: Coach Zampese passed away this morning

OGCowboy

Reaction score
My memories are of him smoking cigarettes in the booth.
- He made it to 86.
- It seems that cigarettes are not bad for some people.
- Keith Richards is 78 & and I've never seen him without a cig in hand.
My great grandpa basically chain smoked non filtered cigs till the day he died at 92....also never set foot in a doctors office except for a broke arm at 80 when he fell off his horse working cattle

Motorola

Reaction score

No one can -OR SHOULD -chronicle the offensive boom \ explosion in the NFL during the 1980s without noting the contributions of Ernie Zampese.
His work led to offensive coordinators being spotlighted every season in the league just as much as the head coaches.

Reactions: BAT

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
R.I.P. Coach Zampese. He was around the last time we were ever worth anything. He'll be missed.

mrmojo

Reaction score
RIP coach, we were lucky to have him come in and follow Norv, his disciple.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
RIP coach !

put some thoughts in the current OC please!

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Ernie Zampese extended the Dynasty after Jerry Dumbo GM Jones fired a back to back Super Bowl winning Head Coach and hired a Bootlegger's son.

When you hear the term passing tree, it is Don Coryell, Ernie Zampese, passed it down to Norv Turner, and others. He got Jerry that undeserved last Super Bowl holding that triplet offense together for the years he could. He extended the Dallas Dynasty and started the Patriots Dynasty showing them the passing tree system that Bledsoe, Tom Brady, continues to throw today.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
RIP Coach. Wasn't he the OC who used to nervously twirl a bunch of pens/pencils in his hand in the booth?

And a chain smoker.

Ernie was a true offensive genius.

RIP Coach Zampese and condolences to everyone who miss you.