Cole Beasley. wrong to let him go?

khiladi

Reaction score
Fair enough. Garrett truly sucked imo. I'm watching hitchens playing right now. For the sb champion chiefs. That one hurt far more than Beasley.

Our biggest loss was Callahan IMO, after Garrett burned bridges with him. If Jerry could convince guys like Moore to stay, I mean one of the greatest OL and RG coaches in the league should have been a no brainer. I mean look at what the Browns have done his first year there.

cern

Reaction score
Our biggest loss was Callahan IMO, after Garrett burned bridges with him. If Jerry could convince guys like Moore to stay, I mean one of the greatest OL and RG coaches in the league should have been a no brainer. I mean look at what the Browns have done his first year there.
No denying that. But Jerry just had to show his support for garrett. We lost a good coach when bill left.

Proof

Reaction score
That’s not entirely accurate.
Beasley was assigned to only certain routes (similar to the way Garrett and Kellen did/do with Gallup, Dez, and TWilly). If you go back to the first 7 games of 2016, Beasley was a top 10 WR in the NFL in receptions. Tony Hill was interviewed on 105.3 and said that he coached Beasley (with his son) and Beasley has short area quickness that is almost impossible to cover. Garrett and Linehan were challenged by the media following the Ravens game that they could not make “explosive plays”. Suddenly the plays were long developing and the short pass game was eliminated. But more importantly Garrett and Kellen only assign certain routes and rigid roles to their WRs. (Dez running go-routes when he was absolutely unstoppable on slants was just silly. Not to mention absurd plays like a TE running a bubble screen - Martellus Bennett)

But all of this is completely different from McCarthy who wants all WRs to be able to play all 4 spots and routes. Beasley was pigeonholed and reduced to limited roles but if you were to watch the 2016-17 Green Bay playoff game, Dallas rallied with Beasley. Garrett’s playbook and philosophy is still very much Kellens and thus Gallup runs only certain routes at certain parts of the game. Not because he can’t. McCarthy will change that when he changes the Coryell to WCO.

Beasley was given a great deal more responsibility in Buffalo and demonstrated how inept and clueless both Garrett and Kellen were. Beasleys quickness is meant for a short pass offense but takes innovation and creativity that is available in complex offenses. The history of the Coryell flaw is that the pass plays are rigid and don’t change per novel defense or setting (see Linehan with the Rams or Turner at all his stops following his leaving the Cowboys).

Watch the Chiefs, the speed, quickness and play variability is exactly what Beasley is able to do and what the current elite teams in the NFL are doing. While Dallas has gobemouche Kellen Moore running an offense that has a claim to fame of “what you see on game tape, you see in live”.

good stuff. I’m not sure what it means in relation to his stifling in 2018 though.

appreciate the insight all the same though.

Proof

Reaction score
We’re still suffering from that loss

SackMaster

Reaction score
Hmm..

I never got the impression Beasley wanted #1 receiver.

Dez was our #1 WR when Beasley was coming up.

Dez was cut and opened up money for other money decisions. Beasley felt he had proved his value to the offense. He wanted to be included in that re-distribution.

Slot receiver was producing in the offense. Dak was getting alot of credit and Beasley was being undervalued.

He had to standup and say pay me. I am helping make your stars who they are.

I did not blame him for what he did. He was feed up with Garrett's methods which were directed by Stephen and his dad.

We all were.

Beasley's play in Buffalo has been substantial to their on field success.

How in the world can you not be happy for Beasley and not miss him?

Becuz he is no longer with us..is no reason to downplay his play.

:huh:
I rooted for Beasley when he was a Cowboys, but could never trust him after abruptly deciding he did not want to play football anymore for him to change his mind again just as fast. It was hard for me to believe he truly loved football when he did that his ROOKIE year.

Beasley has played well for Buffalo, but he is not a key part of their team. Last year, despite being a part of a pretty bad WR core, he was not even the top target. John Brown was. And after the 2019 season, the Bills, much like the Cowboys, felt they had to trade a 1st Round pick (to include a 5th and 6th for Diggs and a 7th) to bring in a WR to fill a role Cole NEVER could.

So Cole can be a good slot guy as long as you have a #1 that keeps teams from focusing on Cole. And as far as the Bills Playoff success, the Bills were able to advance in the playoffs with Cole being the a distant 3rd as far as targeted WRs. In fact, he has only 1 more target than the #4 WR, but has FAR less yards with that 1 extra target. Hell, he isn't even the "move the chains" guy in playoffs as he is tied for last of the Top 4 WRs for the Bills. Cole is so "substantial" to the Bills on field success in the playoffs that he did not record a single stat in the Bills win over the Ravens even though he was targeted twice.

To answer your question, I couldn't care less about Cole Beasley, and I do not miss him at all. He had some really great plays for Dallas, but so did Antoino Bryant, and I don't think anyone really misses him either.

Just Sayin'

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I think you missed my point.

It was that we drafted and developed a player in Beezer who was loyal to the team and really was a piece of our success.

And I question taking that player and when he wanted to be paid more..we just went in another direction and instead preferred to pay out monster contracts to Dak, Jaylon, Zeke and Tank.

The last 3 I mention there have just flatlined for us.

But guys like Beasley where just ignored.

It proved expensive to build the team that way. Poor judgement.

I watched Beasley in the playoffs yesterday.

He was impressive. Happy for him.

He is tough and definitely a leader guy.

We could use more players like him.

Beasley had injury problems the last two seasons he played for us.

Dak is not an enough accurate passer to let Beasley really florish. Romo was.

Beasley wanted out of here. He asked for ridiculous money. He had a problem with Dallas - idk what it was.
But i can understand every player who really wants to win and so does not want to sign with our franchise.

Thats a positive i can say about Beasley.
The negative is the way he tried to get out of here. I dont like players who are greedy.

I am happy he is gone.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
People are actually scoffing at the idea of having a Second-team All Pro WR at a $7M cap hit, eh?

Tussinman

Reaction score
at a $7M cap hit, eh?
7 million for someone who'd be the #4 WR on this team and arguably only the 9th best player on offense is actually pretty high

a Second-team All Pro WR
You do realize Cole Beasley was outside the top 20 in literally every WR category (majority of categories he wasn't even top 30) and the only reason he got second team all-pro is because Peter King (whose an idiot) picked his favorite 3 receivers and not who he thought was the 3 best (no im serious, beasley got all-pro team because a single voter went "oh he's my favorite #3" which is an oxymoron, your saying he's my favorite 3rd option on a single team)

Beasley making the all pro team is almost as bad as Peyton Manning making the NFL top 100 for the year he was injured

Last edited:

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
7 million for someone who'd be the #4 WR on this team and arguably only the 9th best player on offense is actually pretty high

He wouldn't be the #4 WR on the team, because the first round pick for CeeDee Lamb would have gone somewhere else. I'm not arguing that we should have kept him, I'm just saying it's silly to pretend like we wouldn't have come out fine either way.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He wouldn't be the #4 WR on the team, because the first round pick for CeeDee Lamb would have gone somewhere else. I'm not arguing that we should have kept him, I'm just saying it's silly to pretend like we wouldn't have come out fine either way.
Lamb was so high on there draft board that they probably would of still drafted him and let Beasley go in 2021. Beasley wasn't bad but his price was too high for how low on the importance scale he was to this team (cowboys where very offensive heavy on talent and had a ton of pending contracts they needed cap space for). Last year he played for us you could of easily argued he was only the 8th best player on offense

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Beasley had injury problems the last two seasons he played for us.

Dak is not an enough accurate passer to let Beasley really florish. Romo was.

Beasley wanted out of here. He asked for ridiculous money. He had a problem with Dallas - idk what it was.
But i can understand every player who really wants to win and so does not want to sign with our franchise.

Thats a positive i can say about Beasley.
The negative is the way he tried to get out of here. I dont like players who are greedy.

I am happy he is gone.
Beasley was not happy for sure.

But leaving will not sour me on him.

He was a fan favorite.

I felt the same way with Calvin Hill.

I really liked him and then they would not pay him he played for Washington and pounded the heck out of us.

I accidentally met him his rookie year at a carwash across from the old Cowboys practice field on Forest Hill In.

I was washing my car and he pulls in with his car. Big tall dude with huge hands.

He walks up to me and asks if I have any quarters..the machine was out.

I look at him and I ask don't I know you? You are Calvin Hill.

He denied it and acted sort of shy. I gave him the rest of my quarters and he turned to walk back and I said " Good luck this year".

He turned and waved and went car to his car. He had been made.

It was one of those moments I always added to my personal Cowboy memory locker.

Over the years I met many Cowboy player in person. Craig Morton was our guest speaker at my senior HS Sports banquet. He gave me my letter for team captain of the golf team.

His hands were enormous and swallowed mine. I met Deion and Jerrah assisting shooting a fitness video right after their last SB in 1996.

I worked for the DCC doing stills for one of their swimsuit shoots working for the main photog as an assistant.

So I have had some fun encounters with the team and because of it..I will never not be a Cowboy avid dyed in the wool silver and blue fan.