College degree later in life?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's cool man. I never went to college and dropped out of high school. I wish I had because I would probably be further in my career now. When I interviewed for my current job, they had the whole company (20 people) sit around a table and pepper me with questions. Afterward, they took a vote on whether to hire me. I found out later that everyone voted yes except the owner and his reason was that I didn't have a college degree. He had to be talked into hiring me.
I got my degree in Elementary education. I was able to turn that into a Head Football and Athletic Director Job. Hard work matters, so does a little luck!!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
So going into week 4 and I’m enjoying myself and I’m enjoying the challenge. I am glad I made this decision, so if anyone is thinking about doing I say go for it!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Has anyone finished their degree later in life? I just enrolled to finish my degree that I started when I was 18. Has anyone else done this? Thoughts?
I would say if it has potential to benefit you professionally then do it.
Was 34 when I finished mine. I got a job as an quality assurance auditor when I got out of the Marines. Pay was solid, and I had disability on top of that. The problem was that I got really tired of working with small minded and ignorant people. It got to the point that I couldn't even enjoy my time off. Decided to go back at 31. Thankfully I got my liberal arts degree before I enlisted.

Financial security is major consideration. However, it can better your life and yourself in many ways outside of that.

Ill say the biggest is dont rush yourself and overdue your course load. Its alot of work when you are working full time. It took me 3 years to years to finish my bachelors, because I would either bare min full time or part time. Give yourself time and dont wear yourself out

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Was 34 when I finished mine. I got a job as an quality assurance auditor when I got out of the Marines. Pay was solid, and I had disability on top of that. The problem was that I got really tired of working with small minded and ignorant people. It got to the point that I couldn't even enjoy my time off. Decided to go back at 31. Thankfully I got my liberal arts degree before I enlisted.

Financial security is major consideration. However, it can better your life and yourself in many ways outside of that.

Ill say the biggest is dont rush yourself and overdue your course load. Its alot of work when you are working full time. It took me 3 years to years to finish my bachelors, because I would either bare min full time or part time. Give yourself time and dont wear yourself out

This is the stuff that gives me encouragement! I’m enjoy the ride and luckily I’m not in a position to where I have to hold a full time job while doing this. I was up until 2 am studying material for discussion today and I absolutely nailed it. I think that I’m better equipped to handle school now than when I was younger. Priorities have changed and maturity has helped.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is the stuff that gives me encouragement! I’m enjoy the ride and luckily I’m not in a position to where I have to hold a full time job while doing this. I was up until 2 am studying material for discussion today and I absolutely nailed it. I think that I’m better equipped to handle school now than when I was younger. Priorities have changed and maturity has helped.
It helps alot. I carried a 2.5 GPA when I was 18-19 in JuCo. I just got through the assignments. When I want back I was at 3.7.

Glad you are enjoying the experience

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Maybe I used a word that gets flagged. Its happened a couple times before

Nah I just got flagged in another thread. I think I am being targeted now because I told a certain poster to quit replying to my posts any further. He suggested I ignore him and I told him he wasn’t worth my ignore. After 16 years on this board it looks like I’m gonna have to re-evaluate staying on here. Crazy.

SumGuy

Reaction score
Continuing to learn is always a good thing -- whether that be for a degree, certification, or just personal development. Some people get a degree and think that's all they ever need to do to be successful in life. Maybe some get lucky and it works out for them. But I can tell you that for most, the willingness to constantly learn new things is a huge key for their success. I don't think a single year has gone by where I wasn't learning some new topic, technology, concept, or skill (and no, trolling isn't a skill ;)) that pertains to the career path I've chosen.

Out of curiosity, where did you enroll?

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I finished my degree at 27, but I'm a little bit more jaded about it than most posting here. My reasoning was that I already had outstanding debt on a degree that I didn't have, so I wanted to finish so that I would at least be paying for something that I owned. It always drove me crazy. Chose Criminal Justice because based on the credits I already had, it was the quickest path.

I was too immature from the ages of 18-22 to make it happen then. I was more interested in keggers and chasing women. I also valued my (at the time) $14 an hour job more than going to class. I'm lucky though in that I've worked for the same company since I was a junior in high school and have moved into a cushy corporate role now, where I'm actually building real skills and relationships. All afforded to me with hard work and dedication. I would literally be making the same salary today if I didn't have a college degree, but not everyone's situation is the same. The degree did nothing for me but offer me peace of mind, but that's important too.

Wish you luck regardless.

SMASHMOUTH9473

Reaction score
I've been in my profession for 25+ years and I promoted up through the ranks due to my work ethic, integrity, dedication and loyalty. For the past 10+ years, the "bean counters" as I call them, decided no one was worthy of being considered for a promotion higher than my rank w/o a college degree.... problem is, Im tired of training my immediate supervisors, teaching them what their job is, seeing them move further up the todem pole....all the while not being considered for the promotion itself b/c I didnt finish my college degree.

HotDog37

Reaction score
My Uncle got a law degree at 66 just for the heck of it. Nothing wrong with that sometimes you just do stuff just because.