College Football Champions since BCS/CFP

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just some offseason trivia

In 1998, College football created an actual championship game matchup 21 years ago with the BCS.
So the top two teams were finally not forced to play in conference mandated bowls, but could meet on the playing field.
They have since expanded it with the College Football Playoff (CFP) to a 4 team playoff.

Here are the results by current conference affiliation over those 21 years

Champions
11__SEC (5 teams)
5__ACC (3 teams)
2__Big 12 (2 teams)
2__Big 10 (1 team)
1__Pac 12 (1 team)
0__Others

Participants in Championship Game
16__SEC (6 teams)​
10__ACC (4 teams)​
6__Big 12 (2 teams)​
5__Big 10 (3 teams)​
4__Pac 12 (2 teams)​
1__Others (1 team)​

uvaballa

Reaction score
What are you trying to tell us? Most fan already know SEC has lead the way with the ACC trailing behind and then everyone else.

DFWJC

Reaction score
What are you trying to tell us? Most fan already know SEC has lead the way with the ACC trailing behind and then everyone else.
Nothing really.
I was just curious how things would shake out in the years after we started deciding the champion..at least more than before..by having the top teams actually play each other.

The ACC did better than I thought actually. But I did help them by including appearances by previous Big East teams Va Tech (1apperance) and Miami (1 title, 2 appearances))

You may've not been around here a 5-6 years ago when confernces were getting overhauled and people here (mostly Big 12 fans) were saying the ACC was borderline irrelevant in football and that for sure FSU and Clemson would leave....probably too the Big 12. I said no way thatd happen and was proven correct.
Not the reason for this though...as thats very old news.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Nothing really.
I was just curious how things would shake out in the years after we started deciding the champion..at least more than before..by having the top teams actually play each other.

The ACC did better than I thought actually. But I did help them by including appearances by previous Big East teams Va Tech (1apperance) and Miami (1 title, 2 appearances))

You may've not been around here a 5-6 years ago when confernces were getting overhauled and people here (mostly Big 12 fans) were saying the ACC was borderline irrelevant in football and that for sure FSU and Clemson would leave....probably too the Big 12. I said no way thatd happen and was proven correct.
Not the reason for this though...as thats very old news.
No I was not on this board 5 or 6 years ago. I was on the main Cowboys forum before it closed (like many others). There's no where for FSU or Clemson to go except for SEC which I doubt. Pac 10/12 and Big 12 are barely relevant now in basketball and football.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No I was not on this board 5 or 6 years ago. I was on the main Cowboys forum before it closed (like many others). There's no where for FSU or Clemson to go except for SEC which I doubt. Pac 10/12 and Big 12 are barely relevant now in basketball and football.
I agree. Anyway, I think they like the ACC just fine.
Fwiw, Big 12 is a very good basketball conference. Just not as good as the ACC:muttley:
As for football, I see them having two steady contending teams in the near future.
They just always disrespect the ACC for reason.

Last edited: