Video: College Highlight Reel of Legendary Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I believe all QBs should sit . . . just to get acclimated with the speed of the game.

I believe Dak not sitting has done more harm then good. . . Which is the reason I believe QBs drafted High don't pan out.

They get thrown to the wolves and then instinctively develop bad habits just to survive . . . Many times these bad habits stay with them their whole carears

I don't think necessarily that he should have played his rookie year, but it's clear they knew they had something then and by his second season, they probably should have gone with it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure not many of you have seen this one. I like watching film of players on YouTube, so I was digging around and found this footage of Romo playing at Eastern Illinois during the late 90s.

It's pretty interesting to see his footwork, and how evasive he was in the pocket, even back then.

Nowadays, if we see film like this, people will almost always say that he wasn't playing against any real competition. And that may be true. But his skillset still stands out in his college film.

There's also a video of Romo playing in high school, which I found entertaining to watch during this offseason.

Maybe you'll enjoy it, maybe you won't. I'm only posting because most Cowboy fans never saw Romo play in college, myself included.

EIU Highlights

Tony Romo High School Game (Elkhorn Elks vs Burlington Demons - Wisconsin)

Outstanding!

DFWJC

Reaction score
I remeber I saved the article with Romo, Chad Hutchinson, Clint Storener, and Quincy Carter. They were all in their throwing motion and I told my friend that Tony Romo would be our Qb one day. This was in 2002 and I still remeber his first start vs the Panthers. My friend and I had a long convo. Not gonna lie I shed a tear when I saw him go down in the Seahawks preseason game.
I think you mean 2003, but point made.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly... That said, I think people overuse the word "Elite". Tom Brady is Elite." Prescott and Romo... Not at all....

Neither is Matthew Stafford and he now has a Super Bowl ring. I agree with you that "Elite" is a category that does not include a lot of quarterbacks, including many of those in the Hall of Fame and with Super Bowl titles. Joe Namath was not elite. Ken Stabler was not elite. Trent Dilfer is not elite. Nick Foles is not elite. Jeff Hostetler is not elite. Mark Rypien is not elite. Jim Plunkett ...

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
“Legendary” :facepalm::facepalm:

I still remember the time when to ge a legend in this organization you won several SBs

Jerry has presided over this fall and idiot fans of individual players have helped

Romo is no ‘legend’ of mine

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo never achieved what he wanted but he was far from overhyped. Romo was constantly destroyed by the media and our fans. And what is this "so much" you speak of? and please don't refer to the 13 probowler year. The majority of those guys didn't do much after that year. The pro bowl is nothing but a popularity contest. Romo and Witten were wasted because of Jerry. DWare gets out and gets his ring otherwise his career would have been wasted. That "so much" you speak of was partly due to Romo making players look better than they truly were.

Don't get me wrong. Romo was never elite but I will tell you this...If it's the 4th quarter and we need to come from behind to win and you ask me to chose between Romo and Dak. It's Romo every time. and before you call me a Dak hater, I am not. I like Dak and I cheer him on. However, you guys cant take the discussions about what Dak needs to do to improve.
Three 8-8 seasons (2011 - 2013) with simply needing to win the last games to make the playoffs. What happened to the "come from behind and win"??? Nothing but choke jobs.

If this had happened under Dak, every one of you Romofanatics would blame Dak. So whose fault was it the Cowboys failed to win those last games to try to reach the playoffs 3 years in a row?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Neither is Sam Bradford, and he now has a Super Bowl ring. I agree with you that "Elite" is a category that does not include a lot of quarterbacks, including many of those in the Hall of Fame and with Super Bowl titles. Joe Namath was not elite. Ken Stabler was not elite. Trent Dilfer is not elite. Nick Foles is not elite. Jeff Hostetler is not elite. Mark Rypien is not elite. Jim Plunkett ...
Sam Bradford? When did Bradford ever win a Super Bowl championship?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Future Hall Inductee.
If he gets in the hall, it will be because of his broadcasting career. Too much competition at his position and never won the awards necessary to get into the Hall of Fame sans Super Bowl ring(s).

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think if Parcells hadn't decide he was tired of the toll of coaching, especially losing, he might have won a title here. He was stuck in his ways, but those were proven ways to have success. He built up the team, then turned it over to Phillips, whose ways caused it to fall apart a couple of years later. There would have been no Camp Cupcake under Bill.

He was demanding on players and essentially demanded that Romo prove himself without giving him the opportunity to prove himself. I do agree that Bill's blue-collar style helped shape Romo, who was kind of a blue-collar player anyway.
I believe we're in at least the NFC Championship Game if Bill stayed. But Jerry undermined Bill by bringing in TO, and that was the beginning of the end for Parcells.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure not many of you have seen this one. I like watching film of players on YouTube, so I was digging around and found this footage of Romo playing at Eastern Illinois during the late 90s.

It's pretty interesting to see his footwork, and how evasive he was in the pocket, even back then.

Nowadays, if we see film like this, people will almost always say that he wasn't playing against any real competition. And that may be true. But his skillset still stands out in his college film.

There's also a video of Romo playing in high school, which I found entertaining to watch during this offseason.

Maybe you'll enjoy it, maybe you won't. I'm only posting because most Cowboy fans never saw Romo play in college, myself included.

EIU Highlights

Tony Romo High School Game (Elkhorn Elks vs Burlington Demons - Wisconsin)

There is a very, very, very good chance that Tony could have been considered one of the great QBs in this league had he played for another organization Unfortunately, he had a coach that was mediocre at best and that played heavily into Tony's career. I know you could make the same statement about other QBs, but Tony was different he was a great field general with a ton of football knowledge/talent that didn't register into wins because of his mediocre coach and a metalling owner.........................

gimmesix

Reaction score
Doesnt matter . . . its better to sit a QB

NFL history has shown that's not necessarily true. Prescott's best season remains his first one. Russell Wilson had a great first season. Probably Robert Griffin's only good season was his first year. Baker Mayfield actually looked like the future for Cleveland. Mac Jones and Justin Herbert certainly haven't looked like they were better off sitting.

Now, no rookie quarterback has ever reached a Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean they and their teams weren't better for playing them right off the bat.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I believe we're in at least the NFC Championship Game if Bill stayed. But Jerry undermined Bill by bringing in TO, and that was the beginning of the end for Parcells.

I still don't think Owens had much to do with it. Bill wanted to win ... badly, and when he didn't, it ate at him. At his age and health, he knew he needed to step away from coaching. Maybe TO added to that desire (although Parcells has given no indication that's the case), but Parcells gave the reason that he quit.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There is a very, very, very good chance that Tony could have been considered one of the great QBs in this league had he played for another organization Unfortunately, he had a coach that was mediocre at best and that played heavily into Tony's career. I know you could make the same statement about other QBs, but Tony was different he was a great field general with a ton of football knowledge/talent that didn't register into wins because of his mediocre coach and a metalling owner.........................

Agree that Romo's coach didn't help his career much. He would have almost been better with a defensive-minded guy who kind of let him handle the offense as much as he knows about football.

I still don't think Owens had much to do with it. Bill wanted to win ... badly, and when he didn't, it ate at him. At his age and health, he knew he needed to step away from coaching. Maybe TO added to that desire (although Parcells has given no indication that's the case), but Parcells gave the reason that he quit.

TO is recently talking about making a come back. :laugh:

foofighters

Reaction score
Three 8-8 seasons (2011 - 2013) with simply needing to win the last games to make the playoffs. What happened to the "come from behind and win"??? Nothing but choke jobs.

If this had happened under Dak, every one of you Romofanatics would blame Dak. So whose fault was it the Cowboys failed to win those last games to try to reach the playoffs 3 years in a row?

It all starts with the Offensive and Defensive line!!! Remember?

AC, I play the line of being right in the middle. I don't hate Dak nor did I love Romo. Your hatred of Romo and Love of Dak blinds you to these kind of things.