College Production for Defensive Backs

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
These are the numbers that are currently available. The numbers for Aqib Talib, etc., should be available in the future.

Code:
[FONT=Courier New][B]Opponent's QB Rating[/B]

Terrell Thomas    14.4
Chevis Jackson    21.9
Antoine Cason     23.7
Dwight Lowery     45.4
Dejuan Tribble    49.7
DRC               53.6
Mike Jenkins      54.0
Leodis McKelvin   54.9
Tracy Porter      72.6

[B] YPA[/B]

Terrell Thomas    2.6
Chevis Jackson    2.8
Antoine Cason     3.5
DRC               4.4
Dejuan Tribble    4.8
Mike Jenkins      5.1
Leodis McKelvin   5.8
Dwight Lowery     6.7
Tracy Porter      7.5

[B] Completion %[/B]

Terrell Thomas    0.30
Antoine Cason     0.32
Dwight Lowery     0.38
Tracy Porter      0.58
Chevis Jackson    0.26
Dejuan Tribble    0.43
Mike Jenkins      0.41
DRC               0.37
Leodis McKelvin   0.49

[B] INTs per Attempt[/B]

Terrell Thomas    0.070
Antoine Cason     0.068
Dwight Lowery     0.067
Tracy Porter      0.066
Chevis Jackson    0.061
Dejuan Tribble    0.051
Mike Jenkins      0.044
DRC               0.033
Leodis McKelvin   0.029

[B] Passes Defended Per Attempt[/B]

Chevis Jackson    0.26
Mike Jenkins      0.21
Antoine Cason     0.19
DRC               0.18
Leodis McKelvin   0.13
Terrell Thomas    0.12
Dwight Lowery     0.12
Dejuan Tribble    0.10
Tracy Porter      0.04

[B] Attempts[/B]

Tracy Porter      91
Chevis Jackson    82
Dejuan Tribble    79
Antoine Cason     73
Leodis McKelvin   70
Mike Jenkins      68
DRC               60
Dwight Lowery     60
Terrell Thomas    57

[B] Completions[/B]

Terrell Thomas    17
Chevis Jackson    21
DRC               22
Dwight Lowery     23
Antoine Cason     23
Mike Jenkins      28
Leodis McKelvin   34
Dejuan Tribble    34
Tracy Porter      53

[B] Yards[/B]

Terrell Thomas    149
Chevis Jackson    230
Antoine Cason     258
DRC               262
Mike Jenkins      348
Dejuan Tribble    383
Dwight Lowery     404
Leodis McKelvin   407
Tracy Porter      679

[B] TDs[/B]

Leodis McKelvin   0
Terrell Thomas    1
Antoine Cason     2
Dwight Lowery     2
Chevis Jackson    3
DRC               3
Mike Jenkins      3
Dejuan Tribble    3
Tracy Porter      5

[B] INTs[/B]

Tracy Porter      6
Antoine Cason     5
Chevis Jackson    5
Terrell Thomas    4
Dwight Lowery     4
Dejuan Tribble    4
Mike Jenkins      3
Leodis McKelvin   2
DRC               2

[B] Passes Defended[/B]

Chevis Jackson    21
Antoine Cason     14
Mike Jenkins      14
DRC               11
Leodis McKelvin   9
Dejuan Tribble    8
Terrell Thomas    7
Dwight Lowery     7
Tracy Porter      4[/FONT]

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Damn! Porter was toast this year. I was really thinking of him in the 2nd, but this makes me wonder if his game is good enough to play better than freakin' Reeves.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
By those numbers you have to wonder why Terrell Thomas isnt getting a lot more attention.

Woods

Reaction score
texbumthelife;1971359 said:
By those numbers you have to wonder why Terrell Thomas isnt getting a lot more attention.

That's what I was thinking . . . .

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

Woods;1971366 said:
That's what I was thinking . . . .
These numbers have very little correlation with the rankings of Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper. And I'd guess that the rankings of NFL teams have very little correlation with the rankings of Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Terrell Thomas was also helped by the fact 3 or 4 first day draft picks were chasing the opposing QB:)

These numbers are nice but somewhat hard to gauge against each other as they were hardly playing the same systems and with the same teammates much less facing the same opponents.

Porter's numbers do stand out as quite bad though. He looks like a gambler. Which is how he looked at the Senior Bowl.

I wish Talib and Cason would have attended the senior bowl. Much easier to compare apples to apples.

ayjackson

Reaction score
These numbers are useless in a vacuum. They have a high correlation to the quality of the defensive front seven. Each one must be examined on a case by case basis to have any value.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Mike Jenkins is there @ 22 and DRC is gone is there any way we can pass?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ayjackson;1971417 said:
These numbers are useless in a vacuum. They have a high correlation to the quality of the defensive front seven. Each one must be examined on a case by case basis to have any value.
This is an absurd statement. Of course they're useful. They tell you how well they played in the context of their situation. Of course, you'd also look at the context of their situation along with these numbers, but even alone they tell you a good bit about how they performed.

This is like ranking NFL QBs according to QB rating and saying "these numbers are useless in a vacuum." How ridiculous would that sound?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
theogt;1971423 said:
This is an absurd statement. Of course they're useful. They tell you how well they played in the context of their situation. Of course, you'd also look at the context of their situation along with these numbers, but even alone they tell you a good bit about how they performed.

This is like ranking NFL QBs according to QB rating and saying "these numbers are useless in a vacuum." How ridiculous would that sound?

No, it would be like drafting QBs based on their NCAA QB ratings.

BTW, looks like Thomas posted an unofficial 4.46 in the 40. Thats PDQ for him imho.

I like him myself as a 3rd rounder.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Not that I'm a Porter fan, because I've never seen him play except in the Senior Bowl. But I'd think that in his case, it does matter a little. Indiana is always just horribly outmatched talent-wise in its conference.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jterrell;1971429 said:
No, it would be like drafting QBs based on their NCAA QB ratings.
But no one said you should base your entire draft board on these numbers. There's a pretty wide gap between "useless" and "base your entire draft board on them."

BTW, looks like Thomas posted an unofficial 4.46 in the 40. Thats PDQ for him imho.

I like him myself as a 3rd rounder.
Thanks. That is a pretty good number. With this kind of production and good Combine numbers, I doubt he lasts til the 3rd round, especially late 3rd round.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
theogt;1971450 said:
But no one said you should base your entire draft board on these numbers. There's a pretty wide gap between "useless" and "base your entire draft board on them."

Thanks. That is a pretty good number. With this kind of production and good Combine numbers, I doubt he lasts til the 3rd round, especially late 3rd round.

It is truly amazing how well these CBs compare with previous classes.

These numbers are off the charts at virtually every drill. Lots of 4.3's, 38" verticals??? sheesh!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
jterrell;1971454 said:
It is truly amazing how well these CBs compare with previous classes.

These numbers are off the charts at virtually every drill. Lots of 4.3's, 38" verticals??? sheesh!

Agreed. I've never seen anything like it since i've started following the draft.

This might be the best RB class i've seen too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;1971458 said:
Agreed. I've never seen anything like it since i've started following the draft.

This might be the best RB class i've seen too.
Indeed. There's probably 15 RBs and CBs alone that could carry 1st round grades. Obviously they won't all be drafted in the 1st, but this is a good year to have a #22 and #28.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Nice job Theo, I started doing the same exact thing this morning actually. Just so you know, the stats are up for Aqib Talib.

47 passes completed on him out of 92 attempts for 51% completion rate.
459 receiving yards against him (9.8 YPC) (5.0 YPA).
Allowed 1 TD, had 5 INTs and 13 deflections
QB rating against of 46.4

One thing that I've started doing when looking at the CBs is creating a "Plays On Ball" stat, which is basically just INTs + Deflections, then divide that number by pass attempts for a POB percentage. These are the rankings on that stat for the CBs I've looked at:

Cason: 26%
Jackson: 25.6%
DRC: 21.6%
Jenkins: 20.6%
Talib: 19.6%
Thomas: 19.3%
Lowry: 18.3%
McKelvin: 15.8%
Porter: 13.2%
Tribble: 10.1%

For historical reference Aaron Ross had a 22.7% last year and Leon Hall had a 20%. Another stat I've been thinking about including is a ratio of POB to Catches Allowed, but I haven't actually looked into it at all.