College vs. Pro: The Coin Toss Trend

VACowboy

Reaction score
Ever notice that pro teams take the ball while college teams defer to the second half? Why is that? Is there a difference in the rules or something that makes getting the ball first more advantageous in the pro game and getting the ball first in the second half more advantageous in the college game? My guess is, pro coaches want to score first, play good defense and score again so they can put pressure on the opposition's offense. College coaches want to play good defense then score, all the while knowing they get the ball to start the second half. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Brave

Reaction score
I believe in college, if you defer you will get the ball in the 2nd half, which is desirable.

In the pro game, you win your CHOICE for the first half, but the other team gets their choice for the 2nd half. So if you decide to kick, you won't get the ball in the 2nd half.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brave said:
I believe in college, if you defer you will get the ball in the 2nd half, which is desirable.

How does that differ from the pros?

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Brave said:
In the pro game, you win your CHOICE for the first half, but the other team gets their choice for the 2nd half. So if you decide to kick, you won't get the ball in the 2nd half.

:confused: I don't think so....if you kick the first half, you will receive second half, unless im completely in the dark here...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
daboysin06 said:
:confused: I don't think so....if you kick the first half, you will receive second half, unless im completely in the dark here...

Brave is wrong - the rules are the same.

You kick first - you receive in the second and vice versa. There is no choice to be made at the half.

Justis

Reaction score
In the pros teams of such close talent as compared to college count a lot on momentum. Starting with a succesful drive can build the moral throughout the game.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
hmm wow thats surprising. i apologize, I was sure it wasn't like that.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Yep, you can't defer in the pros. Kinda dumb if you ask me. They ought to figure out some complicated computer system that can calculate what the fairest way to uhh "distribute" the ball is.

RoysAHitta

Benched
Reaction score
let me get this right..

if you win the coin toss and choose to kick the first half, you wont get to recieve in the 2nd half?

that cant be right

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
baj1dallas said:
Yep, you can't defer in the pros. Kinda dumb if you ask me. They ought to figure out some complicated computer system that can calculate what the fairest way to uhh "distribute" the ball is.

You can defer, but it makes no sense to do it because you'd be kicking again in the second half in the pros. The loser of the flip gets to choose in the second half......naturally they would want the ball.

The rule is stupid and I wasn't aware of it quite frankly.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoysAHitta said:
let me get this right..

if you win the coin toss and choose to kick the first half, you wont get to recieve in the 2nd half?

that cant be right

In the pros it's right according to the above rules.

If you win the toss, no matter what you choose, the other team get's to choose the second half and naturally, you're going to want the ball in the second half - it makes NO SENSE, to go on defense first in the pros with these rules, but they are apparently the rules.

Basically, in the pros, all the coin toss does is establish who is going to receive the ball first. You'll never see it the other way around.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
This must be a brand new rule then.

Why on Madden does the game give you a choice and then flips it at the half automatically?

calico

Reaction score
I have been confused about this since the Texas @ Arkansas game last year. Texas kicked to begin the game and the 2nd half. They made a mistake and deferred the defer or something like that.