Collins sack on Dak

ShortRound

Reaction score
Dak Prescott said he did not receive any explanation from the officials after they blew the whistle on a second-quarter sack when he was in the grasp of teammate and right tackle La’el Collins. “I didn’t actually know that was LC at the time, so I wasn’t sure what exactly happened,” Prescott said. “I kind of thought the whistle was blown because it was one of their guys and they were saving me. I wasn’t sure until I come of and our coaches were confused and talking to (quarterbacks coach Kellen Moore) to figure it out that it was La’el. Not real sure.” Prescott was breaking free from Collins when the whistle blow and the Cowboys were in field goal range at the Rams 36. They were forced to punt.

khiladi

Reaction score
Collins seemed like he was trying to throw Dak out of the way of the sack. The refs totally blew the call, but how any times have we seen Dak take a sack on 3rd down on the cusp of FG range?

Garbage pocket presence by Dak. First of all, he clearly has time. Second, he runs right into
Pressure with his awful pocket presence and his typical tango dance. Third, it’s not like Collins can escape the awkwardness of Dak’s presence. Fourth, Donald was right there to blow up Dak anyways.

Dak had the whole right side to run to if he was too scared to throw. tHE WHOLE RIGHT SIDE, but he just spins the other way blindly for who knows what..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Collins seemed like he was trying to throw Dak out of the way of the sack. The refs totally blew the call, but how any times have we seen Dak take a sack on 3rd down on the cusp of FG range?
So those have been Dak's fault? How about calling out this season-long porous Oline? Heck, the Rams Oline protected Goff superbly all game long. Goff was never touched and had all day to find his open receivers.

But yes, let's just blame it on Dak. :facepalm:

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
That was a terrible call.

How many times have we seen olinemen hold up their QB in situations like that?

He wasn't down and no defensive player had any grasp of him or stopped his momentum.

It was a crap call.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Horrific officiating. It would be as if a Cowboy tripped up Dak and the ref called "Dak down by contact."

Birdgang

Reaction score
Here is the official “in the grasp” rule, per the 2018 NFL rulebook:

“The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer’s safety is in jeopardy.”

Cowboys lineman La’el Collins, it should be noted, may have broken a rule by wrapping his arms around Prescott while Fowler was attempting to grab him.

ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS

No offensive player may:

1. pull a runner in any direction at any time
  2. use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate.
Penalty: For assisting the runner, interlocking interference, tripping, or illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.