RELEASED Colombo out; Joe Philbin expected to reunite with McCarthy to coach OL

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Good. There are plenty of coaches that can get the job done. The most important thing is that everyone is on the same page.

That and honestly I didn’t want a comfort level with anyone. Let them get the taste of another driver

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Columbo was not ready to take over as OL coach and no way I could see McCarthy keep him in that role. Good guy, needs more time as an assistant.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
As a super bowl winning coach should.
I honestly think after ten years of Garrett proving to be a failure, that Jerry has a certain level of desperation.
To try and avoid looking like an idiot, maybe?
But definitely some desperation.
A real coach with skins on the wall, and unlike last time with Parcells, this legit coach is getting a team with enough talent to compete
- provided they make a few upgrades at S, DT, TE, in my opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the guy who was the better OL coach was James Campen, not Philbin. He was only the OL coach for one season in 2006.

The Fassel and Tomsula hires were A's for me. This is more of a C feeling to me. I just don't see the track record as a pro OL coach (more college). He's been all over the place from OC to HC to TEs, etc.

I would have preferred Campen as well. Philbin will always be that puts who had no answer when the Dolphins drafted Ted Ginn with their first round pick and they booed him out of the building.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
These guys all have years of experience and in varied coaching positions.
Columbo was a rookie at it, and was not really a help to the OL.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Damn. McCarthy is sparing NO ONE (except Moore). I expected a clean house but not this. Jerry isn’t playing this time.... he must’ve been really angry or disappointed to let it come to this.
I am not sure about this. I mean I agree with you about cleaning house. But I don’t know this coach. Our O-Line was able to block both ways

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Terrible news.

Colombo is an excellent coach.

Our OL is the strongest unit in the NFL.

So much for doing your job and being loyal.

Looks like our new HC is hiring all of his old buddies.

Colombo was not an excellent coach. Far from it. It's the main reason why our oline sucked this year.

I would rather have an experience oline coach who worked with McCarthy for several years than an interim oline coach in Colombo.

Frankly, we need a complete overhaul. Getting rid of anything related to Garrett or Jerry's selection is a good thing.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Marc Colombo will not return as head Cowboys offensive line coach under Mike McCarthy, according to a source. Joe Philbin is expected to reunite with McCarthy in an offensive line role. Philbin coached the offensive line for McCarthy in Green Bay. Colombo, who took over as line coach midway through the 2018 season, has a contract through 2021. He oversaw an offensive that had greatly improved pass protection in 2019 and had the fifth-ranked run game.

Colombo played for the Cowboys and rose through the organization to ultimately become the team’s offensive line coach midway through 2018 when they fired Paul Alexander. Bringing in Joe Philbin seems to be the plan that Mike McCarthy has for the group that many believe is the best in the NFL along the offensive line.

Philbin served as Mike McCarthy’s offensive coordinator in Green Bay from 2007 to 2011 (which obviously includes the 2010 season when they won Super Bowl XLV) before he went on to become the head coach of the Miami Dolphins. He returned to McCarthy’s staff before the 2018 season in the same role and ultimately filled in as the team’s interim head coach when McCarthy was fired.

Assuming that the Cowboys get the coaches they are reportedly interested in, they will now have, besides McCarthy, four coaches with NFL head coaching experience: Mike Nolan (San Francisco), Jim Tomsula (San Francisco), Joe Philbin (Miami), and John Fassel (Los Angeles Rams as an interim).

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...philbin-expected-to-join-team-in-similar-role

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I honestly think after ten years of Garrett proving to be a failure, that Jerry has a certain level of desperation.
To try and avoid looking like an idiot, maybe?
But definitely some desperation.
A real coach with skins on the wall, and unlike last time with Parcells, this legit coach is getting a team with enough talent to compete
- provided they make a few upgrades at S, DT, TE, in my opinion.
I gotta say I like the staff he is assembling. I’m pretty pumped!

Beaker42

Reaction score
Damn. McCarthy is sparing NO ONE (except Moore). I expected a clean house but not this. Jerry isn’t playing this time.... he must’ve been really angry or disappointed to let it come to this.
It’s his own damned fault. We’re at the point now we should been at a minimum of 5 years ago. He needs to take a look in the mirror and be mad at the doofus staring back.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Well, he coached offensive line for McCarthy in 2006 before becoming the offensive coordinator there. So maybe if things don't work out with Kellen after this year, McCarthy has another OC option. Anyways, seems like good experience and he's bringing in HIS guys, which is GREAT.
Maybe he can teach our guys to hold and get away with it or maybe green and yellow is the only color combo that hides that crap well.