RELEASED Colombo out; Joe Philbin expected to reunite with McCarthy to coach OL

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Ew.

Not a fan of Philbin, but that comes from his time in Miami.

PS, this should end all talk if Jerry is running the show for hiring asst coaches.

But you have to have talent... otherwise he's just a coach...

John813

Reaction score
But you have to have talent... otherwise he's just a coach...

To be fair to Philbin in one regard, he did have a good offensive line in Miami till the Bully-gate issue appeared and Incognito was cut and Martin was gone soon after too. Didn't help Long became a shell of himself either and they let him walk for the 2013 season.

On the negative, IIRC it was shown by investigators that Philbin was indeed clueless about the "bullying" to Martin.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
To be fair to Philbin in one regard, he did have a good offensive line in Miami till the Bully-gate issue appeared and Incognito was cut and Martin was gone soon after too. Didn't help Long became a shell of himself either and they let him walk for the 2013 season.

On the negative, IIRC it was shown by investigators that Philbin was indeed clueless about the "bullying" to Martin.

I'm probably a little different... I WANT bullies on my line...

You're not incorrect, but you have to take the good with the bad...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jim Fassel was a head coach for the New York Giants from like 1997-2003. I had to look it up because I thought he had been a HC at one point too. He was even NFL Coach of the Year in 1997.

I believe this is his son John, who was an interim at one point. I believe with the Rams.

FredRob22

Reaction score
Oops. My bad! That explains why they were initially saying he's only coached special teams. I kept thinking that wasn't the case but didn't catch that is was John Fassel, not Jim.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Callahan was my first choice. But Philbin is a great OL coach hire. Green Bay was committed to the run game during the early McCarthy era and had success with a notable 201 yard rushing performance vs Seattle in 2007 in a play victory by Ryan Grant. He road a running game to his Super Bowl championship. He was the coach when they drafted Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams who without their running and catching this year, Green Bay would not be 13-3 with a bye week. Ryan Grant, Ahman Green went for over 1K, and Edgar Bennett was his RB coach and Offensive Coordinator late in his Packer tenure.

If McCarthy learned anything during his time off watching cut ups and building his analytics of play calling, it is to run the ball and feed the running back with touches. That is what he did not do during his last years as Packers HC. Forgetting the run game got him fired.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Philbin can teach the Olineman how to hold and get away with it. There is a YouTube video out about the technique he teaches the lineman
This is exactly what I was thinking. Dak gets 6 seconds now if he needs it

blumayne38

Reaction score
Damn, Jerry really let him have full control.
This is what we wanted, I didn’t like the fact it was McCarthy honestly. But hey if it means we trim some of the fat I’m all with it. No pun intended.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jim Fassel was a head coach for the New York Giants from like 1997-2003. I had to look it up because I thought he had been a HC at one point too. He was even NFL Coach of the Year in 1997.
How does that relate to John...

Reactions: BAT

Them

Reaction score
Damn. McCarthy is sparing NO ONE (except Moore). I expected a clean house but not this. Jerry isn’t playing this time.... he must’ve been really angry or disappointed to let it come to this.

...Everyone knows that changes were needed...and changes change things...lol

Reaction score
#ColomboHate
I don't hate Columbo. I just don't understand why people like yourself close your minds to potential upgrades.

Blocking techniques are going to change based on McCarthy's offensive system. Why not bring in a guy who already knows the system instead of having to teach the old coach too? Basic common sense.

A HC needs to bring in his own guys he's confident with. This is simple, basic logic. I'm sorry you are unable to grasp this.