Colts hiring Eberflus as DC

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The defensive problems were largely inability to stop the run as well as the year before, not necessarily more lapses in the secondary. And as the season went on the secondary got better and better, to the point the evidence points to a much stronger group going forward.

That's right Philip Rivers 434 yards was all down to a inability to stop the run.
And they got better in no small part due to playing crappy teams in the latter part of the season (The Eagles wern't trying).

The evidence may point to a stronger group but I'll believe that when it actually happens.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's right Philip Rivers 434 yards was all down to a inability to stop the run.
And they got better in no small part due to playing crappy teams in the latter part of the season (The Eagles wern't trying).

The evidence may point to a stronger group but I'll believe that when it actually happens.

So, you're one of those that cherry picks examples and acts like the other party is saying "always" or "every game" when he is talking about the overall season.

But why worry about the fact the Cowboys gave up an average of 260 yards per game through the air last season, but only 214 ypg through the air this season ... that one individual game against the Chargers tells the whole story, right?

Not much hope for rational discussion with you.

Last edited:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
His job was to coordinate the front seven to the secondary. To make sure they worked cohesively. His job was not to game plan or call plays or in any way coach the secondary. I will also say that, from the moment he got that title, the secondary got continually better and there were far less busted coverages between the linebackers and secondary that plagued this D before then.

His job was to coordinate the linebackers in relationship to the back end not the front seven.

“We’re going to make Matt Eberflus our passing game coordinator with an effort to really tie the whole backend together,” Garrett said. “At different parts, times during the day, the linebackers and the secondary guys will meet. Again, working on the coverage part of our defense and we thought there was some real value to that and the continuity across positions.”

Last edited:

IrishAnto

Reaction score
So, you're one of those that cherry picks examples and acts like the other party is saying "always" or "every game" when he is talking about the overall season.

But why worry about the fact the Cowboys gave up an average of 260 yards per game through the air last season, but only 214 ypg through the air this season ... that one individual game against the Chargers tells the whole story, right?

Not much hope for rational discussion with you.

I think you might find that teams were having to play catch-up last season and therefore had to throw more.

Not so much this season right?

I see you are one to whom “stats” tell the whole story.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
Some very close sources tell me that several names will be brought in to take over as LB's coach and possibly defensive coordinator if Marinelli happens to retire. Greg Ellis, Rolando McClain, and Randy Gregory are all being heavily considered.

ROFLOL!!! That could only be true in the reality that is the Jerry Jones / Jason Garret world...

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Does Tom Pellisero make it official? And who reported McClay was offered a job as GM by the Texans when he hadn't even been interviewed. Eberflus will be a bigger loss than any of the other assistants IMO. Hey, our success in helping develope coaches really isn't that bad after all :thumbup:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But you are takling about the Cowboy organization as a whole right?
So last off-season's clearout of vets after a 13-3 season is part of their plans (or lack thereof).
And anyhow it wasn't just 3 players was it?
That was just the secondary.
No, I just got done saying the coaching specifically. I don't know how much clearer I could possibly be.
And 3/4 CBs being replaced by rookies was mentioned and I don't see a comparison between suggesting replacing players is the same as replacing coaches. It's just not the same. Coaches don't come and go at the same rate, they don't have depth at each coaching position and as a result it would be much harder to bring in a coach in the same way.
Not to mention this thread is about Eberflus leaving and I'd like to stay on subject.
I think it's reasonable to be concerned that we have 6 and counting coaches leaving. Just my opinion.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you might find that teams were having to play catch-up last season and therefore had to throw more.

Not so much this season right?

I see you are one to whom “stats” tell the whole story.

There is always more than one reason for just about everything, and sure that may have been one of the factors, but that doesn't justify acting as if one 434 yard passing game against the Cowboys was the standard for judging a Cowboys defense that actually gave up less than half that amount on average. That's a ridiculous stretch of the truth.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
There is always more than one reason for just about everything, and sure that may have been one of the factors, but that doesn't justify acting as if one 434 yard passing game against the Cowboys was the standard for judging a Cowboys defense that actually gave up less than half that amount on average. That's a ridiculous stretch of the truth.

That’s it focus on one point and ignore the rest.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s it focus on one point and ignore the rest.

What rest? You made one point about the Cowboys giving up a lot of passing yards in one game, and I quoted you the stats for the entire year. You act as if one game defined the entire year, while I'm telling you that the stats for the entire year don't support your one game argument. Sorry buddy, but logic not only isn't on your side, it's not even in your neighborhood.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I have a feeling that of all the guys we lost...this one might be the one that actually amounts to something down the road.

Of course...who knows how he will turn out but I think he was one of the better coaches we had.
yea, i don't pay a lot of attention to names anymore but i do know he's been one of our good ones. seldom if ever hear anything negative about him.

good luck to him and getting out of this mess.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
His job was to coordinate the linebackers in relationship to the back end not the front seven.

“We’re going to make Matt Eberflus our passing game coordinator with an effort to really tie the whole backend together,” Garrett said. “At different parts, times during the day, the linebackers and the secondary guys will meet. Again, working on the coverage part of our defense and we thought there was some real value to that and the continuity across positions.”

Yeah, I clarified that later. Thanks though I guess.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Yeah, I clarified that later. Thanks though I guess.

Not a problem my friend, I was not trying to be critical just stating what his position description entailed.

You had it right at the end of your statement that is why the first part through me on the subject, no biggie and you were right, they were better!

Pants

Reaction score
He isn't jumping because he is worried about Dallas, he is leaving for a promotion to a better position. At least be fair instead of twisting to fit a narrative.
My “narrative “ is that Garrett and his coordinators are the rats (they aren’t jumping). ME is a good coach, it is a shame if he leaves

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not a problem my friend, I was not trying to be critical just stating what his position description entailed.

You had it right at the end of your statement that is why the first part through me on the subject, no biggie and you were right, they were better!

All good homie. That came across more snarky than intended.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
What rest? You made one point about the Cowboys giving up a lot of passing yards in one game, and I quoted you the stats for the entire year. You act as if one game defined the entire year, while I'm telling you that the stats for the entire year don't support your one game argument. Sorry buddy, but logic not only isn't on your side, it's not even in your neighborhood.
Obviously reading isn't your strong point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously reading isn't your strong point.

Obviously logic isn't yours. I can trade insults, and the nice thing is you are just typing empty one liners while facts and logic are on my side.