Colts hiring Eberflus as DC

SlammedZero

Reaction score
At least something is changing. Maybe we can find somebody competent enough to come in here and hold Jason Garrett's hand.

Pants

Reaction score
Can't blame ME for leaving...the problem with this team is that the rats aren't jumping from this sinking ship, they are safe as long as Admiral Jones just sails along to nowhere

Fast forward to January 2019::

Media after a 7-9 season: "Jerry, isn't it time to move on from Garrett? He is not good at all, how do you not know this?"
Jones pours another drink: "Well, I think we need to give Jason more time. He has to insert his process to all of our new coaches from this season. They haven't had enough time yet."

Noclaf

Reaction score
Now that the Cowboys defense is consistently actually acquiring talented players, the defense has dramatically improved. Coaching turnover is as inevitable as player turnover. It happens. There is no point in getting too riled up about it.
Dramatically? Same D that was absolutely destroyed in more then a few game, a D that if Lee is not playing they can't stop a pop Warner team? Take a step back this D is average at best

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Its funny how you look around at other teams in the league trying to get better and they hire assistant coaches that are doing well through out the league. When it comes time for Dallas to hire someone you can bet they will be doing poorly. Linehan and Marinelli were on the scrap heap. Those two bums will go down in history as progress stoppers for the Lions and the Cowboys. Even Garrett was let go as a QB coach of the giants and went to miami where he didnt do anything to help them when Jerry rescued him off the scrap pile and went from QB coach to offensive coordinator in a matter of weeks. Its called the Dallas way! Lets not try hiring coaches from teams that win consistently!

To be fair Jason Garrett was never a coach in NY and was never let go as a coach in NY. He was still a player until the 05 season where he retired and became the qb coach under Nick Saban in Miami

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
My point is how has made the LBs better?
We'll sure find out after this season. I just want to hear any excuses as to why we're .500.
Our LBers have been good. Not great. Smith gets a pass. Lee can't stop getting injured. And everyone else is mediocre. It remains to be seen.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys need to jump on Kris Richard, who's in limbo in Seattle. Will improve secondary and overall defensive play.

38-yeards old, coached CBs, then secondary, then was the DC under Carroll.

Would love to see him work with Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, and Byron Jones.

Would also help land Earl Thomas if Seahawks decide to make him a cap casualty.

this seems like a really really smart move. He could help the young secondary and then be an in house replacement for Coordinator in a year or two if Garrett is still here. Throw in the fact that it could land Thomas and that is two thumbs up.

also since Garrett hires generally only have connections to his playing days or coaching year in miami it might help that he played for saban and the dolphins briefly in 05.

He helped mold the legion of boom and his defenses this december first squeezed the life out of Wentz and the eagles but then Prescott and the cowboys.

This seems like a very good hire if it were to happen.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Linehan has a job here still. Marinelli has been talking of retiring. Our QB coach is let go. Our WR coach left. And now Eberflus is leaving.

If this halfassed staff thinks we are going anywhere in the near future trying to replace THAT many coaches and keeping Linehan they're dumber than I thought.

Well last year they thought they could loose 3/4 of the secondary while replacing them with Nolan Carroll and a bunch of rookies and things would be better.

So it depends on how dumb you think they are?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well last year they thought they could loose 3/4 of the secondary while replacing them with Nolan Carroll and a bunch of rookies and things would be better.

They ARE better, and likely will be even better in the second year for some of these rookies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't blame ME for leaving...the problem with this team is that the rats aren't jumping from this sinking ship, they are safe as long as Admiral Jones just sails along to nowhere

Fast forward to January 2019::

Media after a 7-9 season: "Jerry, isn't it time to move on from Garrett? He is not good at all, how do you not know this?"
Jones pours another drink: "Well, I think we need to give Jason more time. He has to insert his process to all of our new coaches from this season. They haven't had enough time yet."

He isn't jumping because he is worried about Dallas, he is leaving for a promotion to a better position. At least be fair instead of twisting to fit a narrative.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

I'm not talking about our roster, I'm talking specifically about the coaching vacancies. 3 players isn't as big a whole to fill as 6 and counting coaches.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I'm not talking about our roster, I'm talking specifically about the coaching vacancies. 3 players isn't as big a whole to fill as 6 and counting coaches.

But you are takling about the Cowboy organization as a whole right?
So last off-season's clearout of vets after a 13-3 season is part of their plans (or lack thereof).
And anyhow it wasn't just 3 players was it?
That was just the secondary.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
They ARE better, and likely will be even better in the second year for some of these rookies.
But they weren't better last season or did you miss the defencive collapses.
In addition you're assuming they won't missmanage them like they've done in the past.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they weren't better last season or did you miss the defencive collapses.
In addition you're assuming they won't missmanage them like they've done in the past.

The defensive problems were largely inability to stop the run as well as the year before, not necessarily more lapses in the secondary. And as the season went on the secondary got better and better, to the point the evidence points to a much stronger group going forward.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The exodus continues... The biggest issue for me is there is no long term stability for our defense. ME was the heir apparent to Rod. With Rod considering retirement already, we'll be fortunate to get him for this year.

IMO-- they need to force Rod to retire and go after a guy for DC that they can build around for the future. If the system is going to change when Rod leaves/retires, go ahead and yank the bandaid off now and get a guy in this year to install it and develop the young guys. Don't waste a year of their development in Rod's system at this point.