combines dont mean squat

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
IMO, you have to take thier Highschool,College stats, Senior bowl stats or anyother optional games, combine numbers, personal interviews. Take all of that, and put it together, and make your decision on that.

You can't just make a decision based on 1 aspect of that persons career. Usually, if a person puts up strong numbers year after year, that shows me consistancy. If they have one great year, I would be worried, unless they didn't really get to start or injuries or whatever.

If they've increased their speed or BP, maybe it's because they've worked their butts off, and maybe I like the fact that this person does what it takes to get better.

But the biggest thing I like to see from a player is Heart. Does this person show up when the lights are on. Does this person finds a way to get it done regardless. When all the odds are stacked against him, can he still make it happen. Does he make the perfect decisions in the games that count. Can he make that clutch throw, or that clutch block, or get to that QB, or knock down that pass, or catch that 4th and 13 pass to get a 1st down to keep the chains moving. Can he make that clutch kick, even though he wasn't the best at the combine? Can he sell a block (TE) and turn it up for a reception to get a TD. CAn he knife thru the oline and get that stop behind the line to prevent a 1st down on 4th and inches?

These are the things we need to ultimately look at , and not JUST combine or workout numbers.

jman

Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
duh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he played more games....are you serious? all I will tell you is this...merriman made DROY in less games...made the PROBOWL in less games...and dominated more games! did you see what he did to payton manning? did you see what payton said about him? didnt you see merriman dominate games? dware had one or two dominating games...and one in preseason....i would rather have merriman than ware....ware is going to be good but merriman is going to be great

DROY...So what!

You look at the bright flashy stats and you think you know everything. Ware was learning a new position while the entire defense was learning how to play the 3-4.

I'll keep Ware, you head on over to SanDiegoChargers.com and share your man crush with them.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
leave it to a homer to screw up a perfectly good conversation! i get it you are a fan...so no one is better than our players...i get it...thats all you had to say...when you are ready to take the glasses off let me know...

jman said:
DROY...So what!

You look at the bright flashy stats and you think you know everything. Ware was learning a new position while the entire defense was learning how to play the 3-4.

I'll keep Ware, you head on over to SanDiegoChargers.com and share your man crush with them.

VirusX

Reaction score
IMO, the combine unless you just completely blow it and I mean COMPLETELY will not hurt your stock. I would only use the combine to rise stock unless the do what I've stated above. I am one who believes in the production that I have seen.

Ex. A.J. Hawk slipped during 2 different drills. Does that mean he will slip when trying to make a play in the NFL? No, I go on what ive seen in the film and that is one beast of a linebacker.

One guy who semi slipped down my draft board is my 3rd LB. Greenway, he had a horrible turn out and his stock slipped slightly. He is very productive in College but not in the combine. Does that mean he will fail at the next level? No.

jman

Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
leave it to a homer to screw up a perfectly good conversation! i get it you are a fan...so no one is better than our players...i get it...thats all you had to say...when you are ready to take the glasses off let me know...

No, you don't get it.

Yes, I'm a homer...but that has nothing to do with the fact that Ware, although didn't have the sack numbers, nor win the shiney little trophy, he was a heart beat from getting to the QB more often than anyone (you) cares to notice.

Yes, Merriman was a force to deal with towards the end of the year, you can't over look the fact that Ware had a major impact on our season. And building on his lessons learned last season, and having another year in the 3-4, I'll keep Ware (yes, my homer opinion) rather than to live in the past and whine about not having Merriman.

The fact is you have said nothing of substance except complain about not having the Rookie of the Year winner.