Comics and Movies

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
ok just curious, do any of you have actual comics? collections ? Old ones what years, do you like these new comics?
I sold a bunch of mine back in late 80's, and now wish I had kept them!
I still have some 60's marvels, some 80's marvels, think I have x-men 164-220
and I have almost all of Groo, did any of you read Groo? I liked the art and simple stories.

I have some I would like to sell, like Lobo and some x factor etc.

I have what I think is a mint FF Annual # 1, bought it in 84, I would sell that if I could get mint price.
It has been in a mylite bag with backing board since 84 so still same.
When I started collecting comics comics and sodas were pretty similar in price 35 cent comics and quarter sodas, right around there. Oddly enough, drinking a soda is kinda how I started getting into comics. Cokes were a quarter a bottle(plus deposit), but the corner store had a deal on 'ol Royal Crown Cola, only 10 cents plus deposit. Me and my best friend would ride our bikes and then stop and drink ourselves silly on RC, throw in a bag of peanuts that we would put in the sodas..... that was living! lol :D

One day me and my buddy were sitting on the ground out front of the store with our Royal Crowns and peanuts and just happened to look into the store window and saw their comic book rack. That's when I saw it, a Conan the Barbarian comic. By that time I had read most of the Conan paperbacks, a friend's older brother had given me a couple to read and between Robert E. Howard and those Frazetta covers, I was hooked. I never knew until that day there was a Conan comic book :omg:

I didn't have any money left that day, so the next day begged my Mom for some change, we foraged some empty soda bottles from around the neighborhood to turn in for deposit money. We rode down to the corner store got our Royal Crowns, peanuts and bought a Conan the Barbarian and a DC's Warlord comic. My comic collecting started from there.

quickccc

Reaction score
ok just curious, do any of you have actual comics? collections ? Old ones what years, do you like these new comics?
I sold a bunch of mine back in late 80's, and now wish I had kept them!
I still have some 60's marvels, some 80's marvels, think I have x-men 164-220
and I have almost all of Groo, did any of you read Groo? I liked the art and simple stories.

I have some I would like to sell, like Lobo and some x factor etc.

I have what I think is a mint FF Annual # 1, bought it in 84, I would sell that if I could get mint price.
It has been in a mylite bag with backing board since 84 so still same.

i still do have several collections . and i used to have many original classics until an unfortunate apt unit fire destroyed them.

i've always liked Daredevil because how his astounding super powers that enhanced his five senses help overcome his blind handicap ..but my interest in the Frank Miller series really skyrocketed once Miller created Elektra in the DD series .... That was a stroking work of genius !

And i had the original introduction comic book until well the fire .. (i only have the reprint)

a7b2853f1e1806620281b8b008f2ba09.jpg

Needless to say much of the Marvel nation also was quite infatuated with Elektra ..up to several comic classic surrounding DD and Elektra
Including the expansion of several characters and groups such as Stick and the Chaste (trained Elektra), The Hand, Kirigi ..and eventually the villain Bullseye became that much popular ...

Elektra became so popular that Marvel spun her own comic series on more than one occasion,
And she's been both an ally and a enemy to several other superheroes
i'm still trying to find the comic issue where Elektra fought against Black Widow (i heard who was the winner but i won't spoil it for you ;))

bfd0bb928a29bde2400aa7add2bdefab.jpg

aa52597e7007b79097d427ddb18e346d.jpg

bcf26d6a1391e252198e20c5ca038488.jpg

Elektra was so huge in the Daredevil comic series that she was also the biggest factor in the Daredevil
live action movie with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Gardner; to which i rather enjoyed it a lot vs many fans and critics that hated it.

..but of course then came the forgettable Elektra solo film with Jennifer Gardner. to which i saw it once and never bothered to see it again .. Uggh ..Terrible !

But it didn't kill the intrigue image of Elektra as she not only continued to build interest in the comic series but she was a huge impact in the Netflix version of Daredevil featuring Charlie Cox - and Elektra portrayed by Elodie Yung.

quickccc

Reaction score
Some of my most memorable Marvel comics:

Hulk vs Dardevil
1e83619385b8237616c90e57f0db57c7.jpg

Iron Man vs Justin Hammer's horde of villains
0f9f721261c2b6c6f2fd52b027d9dd13.jpg

Captain America vs Vermin ....
a9683dd9d63d01829f67c0b9596476bd.jpg

Thor vs Mephisto
51NjnYnIGIL.jpg

Gwen Stacy Dies ...
61d70cb4a94c8423d4f37b421e5c648b.jpg

Spider man revenge vs Green Goblin

Iron Man vs Dr. Doom
s-l300.jpg

Iron Man vs Dr. Doom #2
753451.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i still do have several collections . and i used to have many original classics until an unfortunate apt unit fire destroyed them.

i've always liked Daredevil because how his astounding super powers that enhanced his five senses help overcome his blind handicap ..but my interest in the Frank Miller series really skyrocketed once Miller created Elektra in the DD series .... That was a stroking work of genius !

And i had the original introduction comic book until well the fire .. (i only have the reprint)

Needless to say much of the Marvel nation also was quite infatuated with Elektra ..up to several comic classic surrounding DD and Elektra
Including the expansion of several characters and groups such as Stick and the Chaste (trained Elektra), The Hand, Kirigi ..and eventually the villain Bullseye became that much popular ...

Elektra became so popular that Marvel spun her own comic series on more than one occasion,
i'm still trying to find the comic issue where Elektra fought against Black Widow (i heard who was the winner but i won't spoil it for you ;))

Elektra was so huge in the Daredevil comic series that she was also the biggest factor in the Daredevil
live action movie with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Gardner; to which i rather enjoyed it a lot vs many fans and critics that hated it.

..but of course then came the forgettable Elektra solo film with Jennifer Gardner. to which i saw it once and never bothered to see it again .. Uggh ..Terrible !

But it didn't kill the intrigue image of Elektra as she not only continued to build interest in the comic series but she was a huge impact in the Netflix version of Daredevil featuring Charlie Cox - and Elektra portrayed by Elodie Yung.
Geez, what's she wearing on that last cover, spray paint?

quickccc

Reaction score
i collected (and still have) these Official Marvel Universe Handbooks
that were really handy in learning about Marvel universe characters
(thru these i found out Mystique was the mother of Nightcrawler)

And offered much information database such as:
Name(s) former alias
Birth Place
Death Place
Origin
Relatives
Super powers or abilities
Technology training
Eyes
hair
height
weight

61LECmFAYDL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51qqA2u9XgL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

9780785119364-us.jpg

61K-dgpD-9L._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

613Sm29CZNL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Even had Handbook series of those who Died:
Book of the Dead

51feWbCf4xL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

612mvsf5hIL._SX360_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Definitely was huge Frank Miller Daredevil fan, had his whole run. When he brought in Elektra, took it to another level. The Frank Miller DD is probably my favorite run in all of comics. I had pretty much all Frank Miller DD/Elektra issues and mini series. Miller's Wolverine mini-series where he also featured "The Hand" was awesome. Of course had the epic The Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year one. Also had his the first Sin City story in Dark Horse comics.

latest

4133781-bmtdkr1nm94m093.jpg

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think it was Episode 4, but possibly 5, at the latest. It was essentially a Mandolorian episode. I don’t think Boba Fett was even IN IT! And it was SO MUCH better than anything before.
I am watching it now lol and it is 5 watched 4 first, and it was the usual lame crap.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When I started collecting comics comics and sodas were pretty similar in price 35 cent comics and quarter sodas, right around there. Oddly enough, drinking a soda is kinda how I started getting into comics. Cokes were a quarter a bottle(plus deposit), but the corner store had a deal on 'ol Royal Crown Cola, only 10 cents plus deposit. Me and my best friend would ride our bikes and then stop and drink ourselves silly on RC, throw in a bag of peanuts that we would put in the sodas..... that was living! lol :D

One day me and my buddy were sitting on the ground out front of the store with our Royal Crowns and peanuts and just happened to look into the store window and saw their comic book rack. That's when I saw it, a Conan the Barbarian comic. By that time I had read most of the Conan paperbacks, a friend's older brother had given me a couple to read and between Robert E. Howard and those Frazetta covers, I was hooked. I never knew until that day there was a Conan comic book :omg:

I didn't have any money left that day, so the next day begged my Mom for some change, we foraged some empty soda bottles from around the neighborhood to turn in for deposit money. We rode down to the corner store got our Royal Crowns, peanuts and bought a Conan the Barbarian and a DC's Warlord comic. My comic collecting started from there.
so what was the # of the conan you bought that day? was it the barry smith era or john buscema?
I used to pick up deposit bottles too ! lol.
I still have some frazzetta posters, which were on the covers of books, but were sold as posters. He was great artist.
Also Roy thomas was credited with writing the conan comics, but it looked to me he copied the books word for word.
That would be on the early stories, I know he did on Red Nails.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
so what was the # of the conan you bought that day? was it the barry smith era or john buscema?
I used to pick up deposit bottles too ! lol.
I still have some frazzetta posters, which were on the covers of books, but were sold as posters. He was great artist.
Also Roy thomas was credited with writing the conan comics, but it looked to me he copied the books word for word.
That would be on the early stories, I know he did on Red Nails.
Can't remember exactly, right around issues #77-79, so firmly in the John Buscema era with Ernie Chan inking, he was great penciler as well, but loved his inks over Buscema's pencils. It took awhile to collect some of the Barry Smith issues, grew up in a small town that didn't have a comic book shop, so had order them or at the flea market when we could find a way out there and they were pretty pricey at the time. Fortunately, found some of the BWS stuff that got reprinted in Savage Sword of Conan and some of the other mags of the day.

The art of BWS is just insane, the amount of detail..... his stuff was beautiful. Roy Thomas did do a great job in writing, he was pretty faithful to Howard's original work.

I had a couple of Frazetta posters as well, also had a couple of his artbooks.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
1e83619385b8237616c90e57f0db57c7.jpg

I like this cover , simple but says a lot nice color, you wont see covers like this anymore.
And is it just me or do you guys hate the bar code box on the front covers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why couldnt it have been on the back cover ???????
I don't see a bar code.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see a bar code.
That copy is likely a direct sales issue distributed to comic book vendors between the mid-1970s and early 1980s. Those copies had usually no barcode, an icon (usually Spider-Man's head as a Marvel Comics example, or a blank box located in the lower left corner. Newsstand editions, the ones found at retail outlets like drug stores and supermarkets, had barcodes imprinted as a standard publishing practice. Over time, the bulk of published comics, regardless whether they were newsstand or direct versions, had barcodes printed on their covers.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That copy is likely a direct sales issue distributed to comic book vendors between the mid-1970s and early 1980s. Those copies had usually no barcode, an icon (usually Spider-Man's head as a Marvel Comics example, or a blank box located in the lower left corner. Newsstand editions, the ones found at retail outlets like drug stores and supermarkets, had barcodes imprinted as a standard publishing practice. Over time, the bulk of published comics, regardless whether they were newsstand or direct versions, had barcodes printed on their covers.
Wow, just couldn't let that go, huh?:laugh:

I was pointing out the irony that he chose an image without the bar code.:p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, just couldn't let that go, huh?:laugh:

I was pointing out the irony that he chose an image without the bar code.:p
Yeah, I do not let much go. :p To be fair, he referred to the bar code box and not a bar code.

I do agree with him that there is very little need for barcodes on the front of not just comics but any type of publication. For example, magazines have them commonly on their front cover but barcodes are usually seen on the backs of hardcover books. Heck. Even greeting cards have barcodes on their back cover and those things are usually quick once or twice read before being discarded, lol!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Don’t know if anyone has seen those short Marvel one shots on Disney+? I started watching some the other day because I didn’t even realize they existed. They’re pretty good. My favorite are the Thor and Darryl ones. Remind me of Deadpool humor.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, I do not let much go. :p To be fair, he referred to the bar code box and not a bar code.

I do agree with him that there is very little need for barcodes on the front of not just comics but any type of publication. For example, magazines have them commonly on their front cover but barcodes are usually seen on the backs of hardcover books. Heck. Even greeting cards have barcodes on their back cover and those things are usually quick once or twice read before being discarded, lol!
I agree. Bar codes often ruin the covers of men's magazines as well. (No, that's not taking a shot at comic book readers.;))

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don’t know if anyone has seen those short Marvel one shots on Disney+? I started watching some the other day because I didn’t even realize they existed. They’re pretty good. My favorite are the Thor and Darryl ones. Remind me of Deadpool humor.
Yeah, those are pretty entertaining. I like the ones with Coulter.