Comics and Movies

The Five Biggest Gambles That Were Make-Or-Break For the MCU, And One Absolutely Failed​

By Clay Pitman | ComicBook.com
September 14, 2026

The MCU is the highest-grossing movie franchise of all time, and despite the massive success that it has found, it took a lot of major risks to get there. In its early days, the MCU was an underdog, with it focusing on lesser Marvel heroes in comparison to FOX’s X-Men series and DC’s The Dark Knight trilogy. It might be hard to imagine in hindsight but Iron Man was hardly a sure-thing at the time – and Downey Jr. was an equally risky pick. Nowadays, the MCU is the gold standard of superhero cinematic universes, and while it’s had some hurdles to get over, the experiment has overall been a success... Read more
5) Making Jean Grey A Spider-Man Villain
4) Killing Marvel Television In Favor Of Disney+ Shows​
3) The Ending Of Avengers: Infinity War​
2) Recasting Bruce Banner In The Avengers​
1) The Casting Of Robert Downey Jr. As Iron Man​
 

The Five Biggest Gambles That Were Make-Or-Break For the MCU, And One Absolutely Failed​

By Clay Pitman | ComicBook.com
September 14, 2026

The MCU is the highest-grossing movie franchise of all time, and despite the massive success that it has found, it took a lot of major risks to get there. In its early days, the MCU was an underdog, with it focusing on lesser Marvel heroes in comparison to FOX’s X-Men series and DC’s The Dark Knight trilogy. It might be hard to imagine in hindsight but Iron Man was hardly a sure-thing at the time – and Downey Jr. was an equally risky pick. Nowadays, the MCU is the gold standard of superhero cinematic universes, and while it’s had some hurdles to get over, the experiment has overall been a success... Read more
5) Making Jean Grey A Spider-Man Villain
4) Killing Marvel Television In Favor Of Disney+ Shows​
3) The Ending Of Avengers: Infinity War​
2) Recasting Bruce Banner In The Avengers​
1) The Casting Of Robert Downey Jr. As Iron Man​
I think the biggest risk was starting a franchise with the character of Iron Man, period. This isn't Spider-Man, Batman and some of the usual suspects who could make a billion dollar theater pull no matter who plays the part.

I still prefer Ed Norton as Bruce Banner, just like I still prefer Terrence Howard as Rhodey. The replacements all did admirable enough jobs to make me forget, but I still thought they were the best for those roles.

And honestly... old or new format, I didn't watch many of the Marvel TV Shows. Daredevil is still the one I watched the most episodes of in both formats.
 
I think the biggest risk was starting a franchise with the character of Iron Man, period. This isn't Spider-Man, Batman and some of the usual suspects who could make a billion dollar theater pull no matter who plays the part.

I still prefer Ed Norton as Bruce Banner, just like I still prefer Terrence Howard as Rhodey. The replacements all did admirable enough jobs to make me forget, but I still thought they were the best for those roles.

And honestly... old or new format, I didn't watch many of the Marvel TV Shows. Daredevil is still the one I watched the most episodes of in both formats.
I kike Ed Norton, but I honestly didn't care for him as Banner.
Terrance Howard is a nut job, and one of the most unlikeable people I've ever seen.
 
I think the biggest risk was starting a franchise with the character of Iron Man, period. This isn't Spider-Man, Batman and some of the usual suspects who could make a billion dollar theater pull no matter who plays the part.

I still prefer Ed Norton as Bruce Banner, just like I still prefer Terrence Howard as Rhodey. The replacements all did admirable enough jobs to make me forget, but I still thought they were the best for those roles.

And honestly... old or new format, I didn't watch many of the Marvel TV Shows. Daredevil is still the one I watched the most episodes of in both formats.
I do not have a preference between Ed Norton and Mark Ruffalo playing the role. That said, I do have a huge issue with how Norton's film has been treated in the Marvel Cinematic Universe continuity. Essentially, Thanos blipped it out of franchise's legacy for lack of a better example.

I love Don Cheadle to death, but his James Rhodes is timid by comparison to Terrence Howard's portrayal. And Howard never had an opportunity of playing War Machine. I can only imagine whether Howard's armored heroics would have been better or worse than Cheadle's, but methinks Howard would have done a slightly better job.

No Jessica Jones or Luke Cage? I will not ask for anyone's opinion about Iron Fist. Danny Rand became an almost instant pariah of conversation about the series and the character.
 
I do not have a preference between Ed Norton and Mark Ruffalo playing the role. That said, I do have a huge issue with how Norton's film has been treated in the Marvel Cinematic Universe continuity. Essentially, Thanos blipped it out of franchise's legacy for lack of a better example.

I love Don Cheadle to death, but his James Rhodes is timid by comparison to Terrence Howard's portrayal. And Howard never had an opportunity of playing War Machine. I can only imagine whether Howard's armored heroics would have been better or worse than Cheadle's, but methinks Howard would have done a slightly better job.

No Jessica Jones or Luke Cage? I will not ask for anyone's opinion about Iron Fist. Danny Rand became an almost instant pariah of conversation about the series and the character.
I had the same issue with Don Cheadle in the role. Just looks like a wimp.

I could accept Ruffalo much better. But I sort of liked that nerdy evil dark side that Ed Norton always gave off in most of famous movie characters. For Bruce Banner, it was perfect.
 
Saw episode 5 of Lanterns and still love this show. Disappointed to see so many bad reviews from fans on Rotten Tomatoes while critics are close to 100%. Must be some butthurt comic book fans. John Stewart is an absolute bada** and I see in the trailer for next episode we finally get Guy Gardner involved. IMDB says he is in 4 episodes. I know "The Batman" is not yet considered part of the same universe, but they might as well include it. Between that and Lanterns, they are showing how to make a great "dark DC" compared to Zack Snyder's attempts. Marvel needs to take some notes on HBOMax from Penguin and Lanterns on how to make quality streaming TV.
 
Saw episode 5 of Lanterns and still love this show. Disappointed to see so many bad reviews from fans on Rotten Tomatoes while critics are close to 100%. Must be some butthurt comic book fans. John Stewart is an absolute bada** and I see in the trailer for next episode we finally get Guy Gardner involved. IMDB says he is in 4 episodes. I know "The Batman" is not yet considered part of the same universe, but they might as well include it. Between that and Lanterns, they are showing how to make a great "dark DC" compared to Zack Snyder's attempts. Marvel needs to take some notes on HBOMax from Penguin and Lanterns on how to make quality streaming TV.
I prefer Wandavision and Loki over anything DC.
 
Saw episode 5 of Lanterns and still love this show. Disappointed to see so many bad reviews from fans on Rotten Tomatoes while critics are close to 100%. Must be some butthurt comic book fans. John Stewart is an absolute bada** and I see in the trailer for next episode we finally get Guy Gardner involved. IMDB says he is in 4 episodes. I know "The Batman" is not yet considered part of the same universe, but they might as well include it. Between that and Lanterns, they are showing how to make a great "dark DC" compared to Zack Snyder's attempts. Marvel needs to take some notes on HBOMax from Penguin and Lanterns on how to make quality streaming TV.
haha. I have sometimes commented how I view paid critics and audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, etc. I take the bulk of both perspectives with a grain of salt about anything being reviewed.

What I have usually done is scope out certain critics opinions instead. Sometimes our thoughts align. Sometimes they do not. Either way, I get a *feel* from where their opinions are coming from based on their history of well-thought out analysis.

I am not totally against Nathan Fillion playing Guy Gardner. He is good in Peacemaker and Superman in my opinion. It's just that I would have liked an actor playing that role in Aaron Pierre's 30ish age range. Someone snobbish but does not look so old that he should have grown old enough to know better.

Of course, I am being a hypocritic pushing ageism. Kyle Chandler is my age and six or seven years older than Fillion.

I agree with tying Lanterns with The Batman, The Penguin, etc. Clayface will fit right in with that subset too. If anyone can orchestrate and mesh all that together into something cohesive, continuity based, and entertaining, it is James Gunn. Then again, I think of Supergirl and my confidence starts to dip...
 
I prefer Wandavision and Loki over anything DC.
Loki and Hawkeye are the only Marvels shows I enjoyed enough to keep watching through. I see Wandavision has good ratings, and is linked to two other shows with same people making it including the last entry which is about Vision? I may one day try and binge them.
 
So I finally dragged myself out to watch Supergirl, and you know what? I agree with @Runwildboys that everyone’s losing their minds over nothing. It’s a solid 7/10. I still like Black Widow and the first Wonder Woman better, but it’s right there on par with the first Captain Marvel.

The trailers made it look like a Guardians of the Galaxy knockoff, but it actually feels like one of those newer Disney+ Star Wars shows—Andor, Obi-Wan, you name it. Unfortunately, that also means it drags its feet just as much as TV, which probably explains why the internet mob tore it to shreds.

The lead actress kills it—cute, tough, does the whole nine yards. But man, whoever was in charge of Lobo's costume needs to step down to public television. Like @Runwildboys commented, that cigar looks like a glowing orange Cheeto every time he takes a drag, and the guy's already built like a brick outhouse, so why are they forcing him into goofy fake chest-plate muscle pads? $200 million CGI budget and couldn't get freaking Lobo right with probably the most naturally "meant to be actor" in the role.

The Superman cameos and that little origin detour were neat, but I'm still not sold on their Superman. It feels like Clark Kent is 95% of the personality and the cape is just an afterthought—did they miss that whole monologue from Kill Bill? It’s almost like this movie was meant to be watched with Superman on speed dial, but audiences didn't get the memo. Which no one should be surprised. Anytime you try a "girl power" theme, which in this case is some type of female rebel without a cause, you have to understand that your core fanbase are still males. Might work, might not. But I think it's that the Superman film was overrated and just didn't get anyone excited enough to watch the quasi-sequel. Bad timing.

Still, I'm actually digging where this new Gunn Universe is going. I sort of like how they throw everyday DC characters at the wall and see what sticks. They do need to figure out what to do with The Batman universe, though. Either fold it in and keep him out of the goofy spandex crossovers—Paul Dini, Greg Rucka, Ed Brubaker, et al wrote great solo detective crime stories for years without needing the Justice League—or drop the new version of Batman into other projects like Marvel did with Spider-Man before his solo flick. As popular as the character is, it still might work having 2 different versions, but trying to juggle two separate cinematic Batmen at the same time is a great way to give ticket buyers a migraine.
 

George Lucas Defends STAR WARS Special Edition Changes​

Eric Diaz | Yahoo Entertainment/Nerdist
September 23, 2026


[excerpt] Most movies aren't finished, they're simply yanked out of your hands and put in the theaters. So you're always saying 'oh, I wish I could have just finished that one piece of thing.' But it's not that way. You have a deadline, you've got to make the deadline. But then I went back, after Star Wars, and redid all the movies, in terms of finishing them. So that they're actually finished. And of course, a lot of people got upset about that, because they said 'you're not allowed to do that.' I said 'fans are doing that. They're making alternate versions and all kinds of stuff. Read more...​
 

George Lucas Defends STAR WARS Special Edition Changes​

Eric Diaz | Yahoo Entertainment/Nerdist
September 23, 2026


[excerpt] Most movies aren't finished, they're simply yanked out of your hands and put in the theaters. So you're always saying 'oh, I wish I could have just finished that one piece of thing.' But it's not that way. You have a deadline, you've got to make the deadline. But then I went back, after Star Wars, and redid all the movies, in terms of finishing them. So that they're actually finished. And of course, a lot of people got upset about that, because they said 'you're not allowed to do that.' I said 'fans are doing that. They're making alternate versions and all kinds of stuff. Read more...​
I hope they are being honest about the original cut next year. And he did do an alternate cut when he redid the Han Solo/Greedo exchange. What he really missed with the changes and prequels was his ex-wife Marcia. He was the artist and she was the brains - or sounding board. She would tell him when things weren't working.
 
I hope they are being honest about the original cut next year. And he did do an alternate cut when he redid the Han Solo/Greedo exchange. What he really missed with the changes and prequels was his ex-wife Marcia. He was the artist and she was the brains - or sounding board. She would tell him when things weren't working.
Rumor is Marcia divorced him because he kept wanting to make a Special Edition of their marriage with bonus footage. (just kidding...I had to make a joke about stupid Special Editions.)
 
Rumor is Marcia divorced him because he kept wanting to make a Special Edition of their marriage with bonus footage. (just kidding...I had to make a joke about stupid Special Editions.)
They should just call them "More Money Editions".
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,007
Messages
14,656,687
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top