Coming to Dallas again!

brickman

Reaction score
Last year I made my first trip to Dallas for opening game with my son (who is 26). Had a blast, so we're doing it again. Just got our tickets for Jacksonville game and also going to Texas-Baylor game in Austin. Staying at the Comfort Suites near the Stadium on Thursday night, going to Austin Friday & Saturday and back to Arlington for the game on Halloween. Any suggestions by you regulars as to where we might be able to see some of the Cowboys players on Thursday night .. do they do any tv shows, or any place they might hang out? Just thought it would be kinda' cool. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

brickman

Reaction score
Any suggestions of anything to do (Cowboy related)in the Arlington area on Thursday night?

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
brickman;3533875 said:
Any suggestions of anything to do (Cowboy related)in the Arlington area on Thursday night?

You could rent a horse and spit a lot.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
brickman;3534040 said:
Thanks. I appreciate the tip.:bang2:

No offense dude, but what exactly is a "Cowboy related" activity, that you think is going to be taking place in a major city, the night prior to an NFL game?

I mean seriously! If you're looking for like a pep-rally and a bonfire to spontaneously breakout in some Walmart parking lot, you need to head S. on I-45 for about 2 1/2 hours.

brickman

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3534092 said:
No offense dude, but what exactly is a "Cowboy related" activity, that you think is going to be taking place in a major city, the night prior to an NFL game?

I mean seriously! If you're looking for like a pep-rally and a bonfire to spontaneously breakout in some Walmart parking lot, you need to head S. on I-45 for about 2 1/2 hours.

I'm already going to Austin for the Texas game vs. Baylor. I just thought there might be some tv appearance shows, or public appearances some of the players make. We're in Arlington Thursday night and it would be cool to see if there was something luike that. I live in upstate NY and the Bills have some of their players do live appearances and a couple of them have live tv shows they do where fans can attend. Didn't know if any of the Cowboys did that. I'm in Austin Friday and Saturday night and will be throwing back some beers with my son on those nights (great town by the way). Also, is the Cowboy Stadium tour worth doing?

By the way, I've been to quite a few NFL games and have done my share of tailgating and pre-game partying, so I was quite aware of the lack of bonfires & pep ralliesfor NFL games. Was just trying to get a feel for anything that might be happening that is worth doing. Remember, we are not around it all the time like you guys are.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
brickman;3535187 said:
I'm already going to Austin for the Texas game vs. Baylor. I just thought there might be some tv appearance shows, or public appearances some of the players make. We're in Arlington Thursday night and it would be cool to see if there was something luike that. I live in upstate NY and the Bills have some of their players do live appearances and a couple of them have live tv shows they do where fans can attend. Didn't know if any of the Cowboys did that. I'm in Austin Friday and Saturday night and will be throwing back some beers with my son on those nights (great town by the way). Also, is the Cowboy Stadium tour worth doing?

By the way, I've been to quite a few NFL games and have done my share of tailgating and pre-game partying, so I was quite aware of the lack of bonfires & pep ralliesfor NFL games. Was just trying to get a feel for anything that might be happening that is worth doing. Remember, we are not around it all the time like you guys are.

I believe the team stay at the Gaylord Texan. You might be able to pick up an autograph or two there....

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-texan/

Maximum Sports have an evening with a few Cowboys players where the fans can ask questions. It's usually part of the Maximum Sports Cowboys Game package, but I think tickets are available. It's usually the Saturday evening before the game. I've not done this myself, as my friends and I usually find somewhere around the DFW area to listen to music.

Listen to the local radio shows as they advertise if players are at a store in the area signing autographs. Check out the Pro Shop. I met Mel Renfro there one game day at Texas Stadium. He was signing autographs. Not sure if that happens at Cowboys Stadium as I've only been to one game there.

I did the Stadium tour last year. We waited an hour before we actually got into the Stadium. Every man and his dog wanted get in as it was the first year of opening. I believe the tours stop 24 hours before the game for security reasons. I'm going to try to do the tour again this year to see if there are any changes. The enormity of the place is indescribable. It's like a small city on it's own. Worth checking out.

Hopefully someone else will come up with something a bit more useful than my input.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your trip.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Hey ya Brickman, it's the guy who wrote you last year when you and your son came down. Hope you guys have as much fun this time, more even. Some time, hit Dallas during the State Fair (late Sept.-Early Oct.). Even if there are no (affordable) tickets to the Texas-OU game, it's fun just to be in town and hang out (if you can find a room, that is ....). The State Fair here is more like a annual world's fair than a state fair.

As far as tv and radio shows with Cowboys. There are no TV shows at a bar or anything that I know of. There are live radio shows with Cowboys though - I see 105.3 "The Fan" has one Monday, and one with some old-timer Cowboys on Wednesdays this fall. You might keep an eye on Websites for 1) 105.3 The Fan. 2) ESPN Dallas 105.3. 3) 1310/104.1 The Ticket. 4) KRLD 1080 AM, and even 4) KKDA (K104) and see if they'll be any Thursday night shows. I don't see much yet, maybe next week once the season fires up. ... These shows may have kind of run their course. There's just so much an NFL player has to say in an hour-long interview every week it's a "tune-out" for me.

As far as where they hang out (do they still hang out at bars like Too Tall Jones etc. used to?) ... you might try some places around Valley Ranch where most players live, but it's kind of dull in the strip centers right around the facility, I think. A few years ago, Cool River was a hot spot in Irving - kind of a pricey steakhouse with a kind of big kinda casual sports-bar-type scene (?). Also, there's a great sports bar in the Gaylord Hotel, don't know if players hang there.

Hope you guys drive 281 to Austin (maybe get some BBQ along the way), hit Barton Springs Pool (will be open till the 31st barring rain), see downtown FW and environs if you haven't (TCU, Will Rogers complex, Joe T. Garcia's etc.). High school football Friday nights can't be beat. I can't think of other stuff, will PM you if I do ...