Coming to San Antonio

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bounce;1509870 said:
I'm down here, so maybe I can help a little bit.

As for food, depending on what you're willing to spend, you have a ton of options on the riverwalk.

For breakfast, what I'd definitely recommend is Las Canarias in La Mansion del Rio. It's a huge buffet - amazing food - but pricy. Worth it, though, but I wouldn't do it every morning. Cheaper places down the way with good food as well.

If you're there for a few days, also try the Guenter House. Off the Riverwalk, probably about ten minutes away by cab - but they'll all know where it is. Indoor/outdoor place at an old house in a flour mill. Great waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, etc. Not too expensive, either.

For regular meals, there's a great restaurant called Boudro's. A Bistro type. http://www.boudros.com/boudros/

Paesano's has great Italian food. And for Mexican food, I'd leave the riverwalk and go to the Market Square to, as has been mentioned, Mi Tierra or La Margarita. Owned by the same family - both in the market.

Biga on the Banks is a really good restaurant, too. www.biga.com

And there's Sushi Zushi, if you're into that.

As far as Fiesta Texas tickets - HEB has them, but you can get them at the gate with no real problems.
Thank you. I'll have to try the breakfast place. No on sushi, I'm allergic to seafood.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday;1509686 said:
Hos, how long are you going to be in Tejas?
5 days man. I'm going to leave work on Thursday and drive until at least El Paso though my goal is Ft. Stockton where I used to live.

Then up early on Friday and on to San Antonio. We hope to get there by noon. Friday we want to spend all day on the Riverwalk, the Alamo, etc.

Saturday afternoon we have a wedding and reception to attend. Saturday morning is undecided for now on what kind of stuff we'll do.

Sunday we're going to go to 6 Flags for the majority of the day and when done head back west. I'd like to make it to at least El Paso but if I'm not tired may continue on to my Mom's in New Mexico. Just another hour and a half to her house.

We're definitely stopping there on Monday for a short break before we get home Monday night. Back to work early Tuesday. I am going to be one tired son of s gun by the time we get back, but I don't sleep much anyway so it won't matter.

One of my best buddies moved to Austin last year. His daughter and my oldest are best pals. His son Joey is my boy. He is all boy. They're going to come spend the day with us at 6 Flags Sunday. Then his daughter is coming home with us to spend a week with our kids before we put her on a plane to fly back home.

I'm looking forward to this very much. Especially the wedding because I'm hoping to get to meet Mickey Spagnola. :D

bounce

Reaction score
One thing about the Alamo - don't think you're going to be able to stretch it into a day thing, or even anything more than an hour. It's a few (empty) rooms, save for some maps, diagrams, and a few other little things - the back section.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool thing to see, but you're going to be done in an hour.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
bounce;1509870 said:
I'm down here, so maybe I can help a little bit.

As for food, depending on what you're willing to spend, you have a ton of options on the riverwalk.

For breakfast, what I'd definitely recommend is Las Canarias in La Mansion del Rio. It's a huge buffet - amazing food - but pricy. Worth it, though, but I wouldn't do it every morning. Cheaper places down the way with good food as well.

If you're there for a few days, also try the Guenter House. Off the Riverwalk, probably about ten minutes away by cab - but they'll all know where it is. Indoor/outdoor place at an old house in a flour mill. Great waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, etc. Not too expensive, either.

For regular meals, there's a great restaurant called Boudro's. A Bistro type. http://www.boudros.com/boudros/

Paesano's has great Italian food. And for Mexican food, I'd leave the riverwalk and go to the Market Square to, as has been mentioned, Mi Tierra or La Margarita. Owned by the same family - both in the market.

Biga on the Banks is a really good restaurant, too. www.biga.com

There are some good restaurants in the Hotel Valencia of which I'm drawing blanks on their names. If you haven't booked a place to stay, I'd look at the Valencia - a very modern hotel (http://sanantonio.hotelvalencia.com/san-antonio-riverwalk-home.php), the Watermark Hotel - which has a full service spa for the wife, La Mansion del Rio - an old spanish feeling hotel. Or the new Hotel Contessa. All of them are on the quieter end of the riverwalk.

And there's Sushi Zushi, if you're into that.

If you have kids with you, there's Hard Rock Cafe and The Rainforest Cafe.

As far as Fiesta Texas tickets - HEB has them, but you can get them at the gate with no real problems.

Boudros is the best restaurant on the riverwalk hands down.

From what i hear paesanos lost there head chef and has kind of went downhill.

As for good mexican food try La Fogata. Its a drive but very very good.

I might actually be there around that time as well.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
i can give you all kinds of good info.

heck, sounds like you'll be here in time to celebrate our 4th nba championship!!!!

:D

i'll gladly meet up with you if i can work it out. keep me posted.

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
Hostile;1509876 said:
I'm looking forward to this very much. Especially the wedding because I'm hoping to get to meet Mickey Spagnola. :D

i've met him. he is VERY short.

:laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover;1512613 said:
i can give you all kinds of good info.

heck, sounds like you'll be here in time to celebrate our 4th nba championship!!!!

:D

i'll gladly meet up with you if i can work it out. keep me posted.
I love the Spurs. I met some of them a few years ago in Utah during the playoffs when my nephew was getting married. As nice a group of athletes as I have ever come across.

If you would like to meet and say hi I would be glad to. I'll get you my cell number when the time gets closer.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Have fun with that drive, Hos. I drove out to Tucson from Alpine this past weekend and that was one boring drive. I would recommend filling up there in Tucson for gas before you leave, that was the cheapest I found the whole weekend. I would also recommend topping off in Las Cruces, because El Paso was pretty expensive.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboysfan31;1512736 said:
Have fun with that drive, Hos. I drove out to Tucson from Alpine this past weekend and that was one boring drive. I would recommend filling up there in Tucson for gas before you leave, that was the cheapest I found the whole weekend. I would also recommend topping off in Las Cruces, because El Paso was pretty expensive.
Good info. Thanks.

SA_Gunslinger

Reaction score
Hostile;1512634 said:
I love the Spurs. I met some of them a few years ago in Utah during the playoffs when my nephew was getting married. As nice a group of athletes as I have ever come across.

If you would like to meet and say hi I would be glad to. I'll get you my cell number when the time gets closer.

sounds great....looking forward to it!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Boudros Bistro is one of the few restaurants on the river walk that isn't a chain, a local favorite.

http://www.boudros.com/boudros/

La Fogata is one of the better Mexican Restaurants, Mi Tierra's is fair if you are a conosouirre, I like their menudo at 3 am when drunk.:beer2:

It's cheaper to get a season pass at Fiesta Texas than to pay for a one time entry but you can find discounts at HEB on coke cans.

I'm over the road Mon-Fri but I'm home on weekends. I used to drive a cab in SA for 1.5 years so I know how to get around.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
staubach to pearson;1517321 said:
I'm from San Antonio, a person can have ball in this town. It don't take much to make this city party!

Where do you hang out?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Heading out in 2 days. Man am I looking forward to this trip. Gonna make it to Van Horn that first day and get up early so we can enjoy San Antonio. I think we're going to the Riverwalk Friday afternoon and all evening. We're trying to decide if we're going to go to Seaworld or not. I want to.

Printing out all the mapquest stuff tonight so we have directions to the wedding, reception, hotel, 6 Flags.

Also have priced gas all the way along the trip so we know the cheapest places to get it and not lose time. I hate the gas prices.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Mi Tierra has crappy food.....i dont drink, but they do make great drinks.

If you want good mexican food....simply go right down the street to Pico de Gallo or Piedras Negras la Noche.....if you go to Piedras try the Queso Flameado, it will rock your taste buds.

Alamo Cafe on 281 just north of Bitters, has some awesome tortillas.

If you want an awesome Hamburger.....try Chris Madrid's....it is on Blanco close to the Blanco/Hildebrand intersection.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I had a great time on the Riverwalk and at Six Flags. I advise anyone who is going to Training Camp though to avoid the Airport Hilton as a place to stay. I had a bad experience and the roads are so torn up in that area.

I ate at Boudros per some advice in here. Best guacamole I have ever had and I would go there again.

For Mexican food we at at Casa Rio on the Riverwalk. It was very good.

I hadn't been to the Alamo or SA since I was 8 years old. I have a much better appreciation of the History now. I couldn't help but be moved by the tour and thinking of the sacrifice.

Can't wait to come back for a longer visit.

Oh and Dale's wedding and reception was beautiful.

DA FAN

Reaction score
Hostile;1536968 said:
I had a great time on the Riverwalk and at Six Flags. I advise anyone who is going to Training Camp though to avoid the Airport Hilton as a place to stay. I had a bad experience and the roads are so torn up in that area.

I ate at Boudros per some advice in here. Best guacamole I have ever had and I would go there again.

For Mexican food we at at Casa Rio on the Riverwalk. It was very good.

I hadn't been to the Alamo or SA since I was 8 years old. I have a much better appreciation of the History now. I couldn't help but be moved by the tour and thinking of the sacrifice.

Can't wait to come back for a longer visit.

Oh and Dale's wedding and reception was beautiful.

Sounds like you had a good time. I really like SA, and if I ever had to relocate, that would be my first choice. Dallas 2nd.

Graphic Violence

Reaction score
Hostile;1505028 said:
Will be leaving Tucson on Thursday June 21st and arriving in San Antonio around noon on Friday June 22nd. Going to be attending a wedding on Saturday the 23rd at 3:00 PM and then the reception. Sunday the 24th will be taking the family to 6 Flags and then we'll head part of the way home later that day.

Best place to buy 6 flags passes?

Anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do Friday afternoon & evening as well as Saturday morning? Good places to eat, etc.

My wife really wants to go to the Riverwalk Friday, so if you can recommend a good restaurant in that area I'd appreciate it.

If anyone wants to meet me while I am down there, please PM me and we'll swap cell numbers.

The hotel we're staying at is near the airport.

Hostile hit a convenience store when you get into town and check out the soda bottles and cans. Usually Sprite or Coke has some kind of discount offer on them for Fiesta Texas. Sometimes the hotel you stay in will have a special discount it might even be better so ask when you check in. Take the kids to McDonalds and look close to the registers they usually have some coupons for FT Six Flags. As far as catching a meal on the riverwalk you probably won't find a bad one...at least I haven't. Some of them can be a little pricey but there is a good range. If you're looking for a sports type atmosphere there is always Champions in the River Center Mall and you can never go wrong at Hooters if you ask me. If you have any other questions I would be happy to try and help my email...graphicviolenceff@yahoo.com

Sorry just realized it was June and not July you were hitting SA.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GV1;1542233 said:
Hostile hit a convenience store when you get into town and check out the soda bottles and cans. Usually Sprite or Coke has some kind of discount offer on them for Fiesta Texas. Sometimes the hotel you stay in will have a special discount it might even be better so ask when you check in. Take the kids to McDonalds and look close to the registers they usually have some coupons for FT Six Flags. As far as catching a meal on the riverwalk you probably won't find a bad one...at least I haven't. Some of them can be a little pricey but there is a good range. If you're looking for a sports type atmosphere there is always Champions in the River Center Mall and you can never go wrong at Hooters if you ask me. If you have any other questions I would be happy to try and help my email...graphicviolenceff@yahoo.com

Sorry just realized it was June and not July you were hitting SA.
Funny you should post this. My wife noticed that on the soda cans while we were at the wedding. So she drank 2 Cokes, my daughters each had a Sprite and we took 4 empty soda cans to 6 Flags to buy our tickets and got $60.00 off. Out of all the deals we looked at, that was by far the best.

My DJ friend simply went in to work and got comped 4 free passes.