Wimbo said:
http://www.Commanders.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15756
The players released are as follows:

Matt Bowen, S
Walt Harris, CB
Brandon Noble, DT
Cory Raymer, C
Tom Tupa, P

Harris will hurt, the others aren't such a big deal. I just realized what a dinosaur Tom Tupa is, I can't believe he's still in this league.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Wimbo said:
http://www.Commanders.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15756
The players released are as follows:

Matt Bowen, S
Walt Harris, CB
Brandon Noble, DT
Cory Raymer, C
Tom Tupa, P

Matt Bowen, S - Meh... no big deal

Walt Harris, CB - Hurts the depth, but he was no longer a starter. If Rogers goes down... they'll miss Walt quite a bit. They might miss him in the capacity of a nickel corner anyway.

Brandon Noble, DT - The Ol' blocker magnet never really got cranked up in DC. He played very little, so no, they won't miss him... However, he represents yet another free agent blunder by the Skins. This is exactly the kind of signing that keeps the Commanders from being able to say they came out a winner instead of going into cap hell. No, they didn't go into cap hell... but all the big dollars they spent on free agency the past 5 years or so (Noble, Deion, Bruce Smith, Dan Wilkinson, Stubblefield, Gardner, Barrow, Trotter, L. Coles, Hall, Morton, etc.) did no good because only a select few of those free agents ever did anything at all. They spent all this money and it did them NO good. Almost every one stunk in DC. The fact that they didn't have to go into cap hell because of all those players merely keeps it from being a double whammy. Had Snyder paid big bucks, then had them not do crap in DC, then had to suffer cap hell for it all... that might've been too much for little Danny's mind to handle. As it is... they wasted a lot of money, have nothing to show for it, and the good news is they're starting from zero instead of negative. :laugh2:

Cory Raymer, C - Not a good player, that's for sure. However, they now have zero depth at center. How is that okay?

Tom Tupa, P - Healthy, he's still a very good punter. Are they happy with who they have punting? I'm not sure, so they may or may not miss Tupa.

All in all, not terribly bad for the skins... but don't let them fool you. These cuts merely represents the end of a terrible half decade of personell acquisitions... not any kind of win for that poor franchise.

clayman

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Matt Bowen, S - Meh... no big deal

Walt Harris, CB - Hurts the depth, but he was no longer a starter. If Rogers goes down... they'll miss Walt quite a bit. They might miss him in the capacity of a nickel corner anyway.

Brandon Noble, DT - The Ol' blocker magnet never really got cranked up in DC. He played very little, so no, they won't miss him... However, he represents yet another free agent blunder by the Skins. This is exactly the kind of signing that keeps the Commanders from being able to say they came out a winner instead of going into cap hell. No, they didn't go into cap hell... but all the big dollars they spent on free agency the past 5 years or so (Noble, Deion, Bruce Smith, Dan Wilkinson, Stubblefield, Gardner, Barrow, Trotter, L. Coles, Hall, Morton, etc.) did no good because only a select few of those free agents ever did anything at all. They spent all this money and it did them NO good. Almost every one stunk in DC. The fact that they didn't have to go into cap hell because of all those players merely keeps it from being a double whammy. Had Snyder paid big bucks, then had them not do crap in DC, then had to suffer cap hell for it all... that might've been too much for little Danny's mind to handle. As it is... they wasted a lot of money, have nothing to show for it, and the good news is they're starting from zero instead of negative. :laugh2:

Cory Raymer, C - Not a good player, that's for sure. However, they now have zero depth at center. How is that okay?

Tom Tupa, P - Healthy, he's still a very good punter. Are they happy with who they have punting? I'm not sure, so they may or may not miss Tupa.

All in all, not terribly bad for the skins... but don't let them fool you. These cuts merely represents the end of a terrible half decade of personell acquisitions... not any kind of win for that poor franchise.

YOu had me before the ending....Momma always said bitter is as bitter does.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
No, the Commanders will be alright! Just ask them!

While everyone else in the NFL will be eating a different dinner this year, the Commanders will be eating the same old left over crap they had last year. :laugh1:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I been reading the ES Board,, Forgive me please,, but they are acting like they have 40 mil in cap room now lol.. "all it took was 4 or 5 cuts from players we didn't use and we are good now,, bring on the FA's" And I am thinking,, uhhhh,, u guys are about 1.5 mil under after Lavar and this round of cuts.. not even enough to sign your draft picks,, let alone pay for a practise squad,, and def not enough to go shopping.. they still have some serious work to do before they can get enough cap room to do anything in FA

Woods

Reaction score
MsCowboy said:
I been reading the ES Board,, Forgive me please,, but they are acting like they have 40 mil in cap room now lol.. "all it took was 4 or 5 cuts from players we didn't use and we are good now,, bring on the FA's" And I am thinking,, uhhhh,, u guys are about 1.5 mil under after Lavar and this round of cuts.. not even enough to sign your draft picks,, let alone pay for a practise squad,, and def not enough to go shopping.. they still have some serious work to do before they can get enough cap room to do anything in FA

They will probably announce yet another contract restructuring . . . . :banghead:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
MsCowboy said:

But, you see, the Redstinks made the playoffs last year! And, they are bringing back the same team this year, minus some serious depth...so they are going to the SuperBowl this year!

What is funny is, while the rest of the NFL are REALLY going to upgrade their team, the Redstinks are bringing back the same old tired one year wonder players of last year!

;)

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I can see it now the Sking sign the first FA and grossly over pay....
Like WR Randel EL 8Yrs 10mill ... I could see that..

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Does anyone even know the schedule for the Boyz and the Commanders this year? The Redstinks say they are bringing back the same old team, but I would really like to know who they are playing this year, so that I can see what THOSE teams are doing, as far as upgrades to their teams!

What I think that those fans are doing is living in last year, and they are not really looking at the big picture...things change, and they are happy with the same old thing....

:laugh1:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
clayman said:
YOu had me before the ending....Momma always said bitter is as bitter does.

I wasn't trying to "have" you. I guess your momma didn't tell you that all negative words aren't bitterness or envy... sometimes it just the plain truth.

The end, as you put it, is merely saying that from 1999 to 2004 Snyder made some really bad personell decisions and spent a whole boatload of money for nothing. That's the truth. Why would I be bitter about that? Frankly, I'm glad it happened to the Commanders and not someone else. Seriously, why would I be bitter about that?

Dallas has beaten the Commanders what, like 14 out of the last 17 times. Dallas has way more money to spend in free agency without restructuring or cutting anyone other than a NT that was about 40 pounds too light and just didn't fit our scheme. The Commanders are having to cut players and continue to push more money forward so they can even get below the cap. If they do that enough, they might be able to sign a player or two. Dallas has a first round pick while Washington doesn't.

I honestly can't think of one reason why I would be bitter towards the Commanders. I've even pulled for them to get better so we could have a rivalry again like the good ol' days, instead of just a whipping boy for us to get two wins a year.

The only thing that bothers me at all in any way regarding the Commanders is their fans who suddenly act like they're 25 million below the cap and will sign about 5 top tier free agents. :laugh2:

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:
No, the Commanders will be alright! Just ask them!

While everyone else in the NFL will be eating a different dinner this year, the Commanders will be eating the same old left over crap they had last year. :laugh1:

which was a sweep of the boys and eagles and a trip to the playoffs .

your confidence is appreciated.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
danny continues to use his 7 cap lives

Bah! He's taking his poison in sips. He's playing for keeps, with handcuffs on. He's hopping up and down over regular season victories and asking his HoF coach to win it all, wearing cap-shackles.

If you can't sign good players without cutting players, if you can't keep your number one draft picks and your high-priced RFAs on your roster, if you insist on mortgaging future flexibility to cover present-day bad risks, you need to be doubly-sure every roster change you do make pans out because you're limiting your team in ways your similarly-talented competition isn't.

The only interpretation of that chain of events that doesn't consider it to be 'cap hell' comes from a team or a fan base that's grown accustomed to losing and, so, doesn't recognize hell when they're in it. It's the difference between throwing a frog in boiling water, and boiling it a degree at a time.

Jerry needs to buy the Commanders a big screen tv so he can watch us in the post-season from home. We'll see how hellish their cap situation looks once the FA signing period is over.

MrRedskin28

Benched
Reaction score
Did you'all hear Vinnie Cerrato on NFL Total Acsess?

He said the Our Private Jets aka the Air Snyders will be REALLY BUSY when FA starts!

:D Thats all for now! :)

HTTR!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Here is my question for all the Redskiners on here.. at the start of the day, you guys were 4.9 million OVER the cap.. after you cut the players today, that makes ya about even.. So realistically.. you guys have to come up with 10-11 million in additional savings to have any shot at one big name FA.. I think the Commanders are looking more for middle of the pack type players to provide some death..and with no #1 this year.. the draft is not going to help you guys that much. You can be in denial about cap hell.. and you might be right in the fact that you can at least buy something in the store.. but it sure is nice to shop the entire store and not just the bargin bin.. ..

clayman

Reaction score
MsCowboy said:
Here is my question for all the Redskiners on here.. at the start of the day, you guys were 4.9 million OVER the cap.. after you cut the players today, that makes ya about even.. So realistically.. you guys have to come up with 10-11 million in additional savings to have any shot at one big name FA.. I think the Commanders are looking more for middle of the pack type players to provide some death..and with no #1 this year.. the draft is not going to help you guys that much. You can be in denial about cap hell.. and you might be right in the fact that you can at least buy something in the store.. but it sure is nice to shop the entire store and not just the bargin bin.. ..

Adam said they could be 15mil under so I doubt thats bargain basement....just being realistic with the numbers as they could have over half of what we have...but will we spend all 25mil or so? doubtbully but they will prob spend most of theirs.

seoulman

Reaction score
Actually that's not true. The Commanders have traditionally been extremely creative in their ability to manipulate the cap and sign big name free agents. Snyder definitely gambled the last few years and counted on a new CBA...a gamble he won. The fact of the matter remains that he will be able to continue to structure contracts in the same way he has been since he became owner. We will be probably a few mil under the cap once we trade Ramsey and if we get a few of our vets to restructure (which we will do), we will have enough money to go after some free agents. We don't need 10-11 mil to go after a big name by the way, especially if we can spread the bonus over multiple years the way we have in the past.