Commanders hire Joe Whitt Jr as defensive coordinator

Carson

Reaction score
If Quinn fails in year one and/or two, his coordinators will be the first to go. It's the nature of the business. That said, a 3 year contract in DC vs. a one year deal here is clearly the safer choice, regardless of if they do well or not.
Oh absolutely you are correct.

I am just saying that if guys like Ben Johnson etc go back on the market they won’t stick around losing with Quinn

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well.....not what I wanted to see. So much for this being his dream job

Now we can start focusing on who. If it's Rivera I may Ill for a few days.
That's odd I thought his loyalty was to Mike McCarthy and you were almost sure that he was being hired here isn't that ironic.... Now what are you gonna tell us that al Harris is the next guy up and you're gonna give me a book to read on why you think that he should be hired here because we should keep some consistency on defense...

And in that Last Post you tried to tell me that these guys aren't available look when they get into an interview room with Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy Mike vrabel can be coaxed out of retiring or waiting a year there are other guys like Zimmer that are on people's list it's not just Rivera... That is what the interview process is all about and next week they'll do all that by Friday and I'm sure have a better idea who's gonna be the next DC here...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Oh absolutely you are correct.

I am just saying that if guys like Ben Johnson etc go back on the market they won’t stick around losing with Quinn
we saw the Arizona Cardinals do it get a first round quarterback and a brand new coaching staff and a head coach and decide the next year they changed again... It does happen

DFWJC

Reaction score
Quinn getting his guys in there asap

Going to say MM and Jones did not fight for him....let him walk.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's odd I thought his loyalty was to Mike McCarthy and you were almost sure that he was being hired here isn't that ironic.... Now what are you gonna tell us that al Harris is the next guy up and you're gonna give me a book to read on why you think that he should be hired here because we should keep some consistency on defense...

And in that Last Post you tried to tell me that these guys aren't available look when they get into an interview room with Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy Mike vrabel can be coaxed out of retiring or waiting a year there are other guys like Zimmer that are on people's list it's not just Rivera... That is what the interview process is all about and next week they'll do all that by Friday and I'm sure have a better idea who's gonna be the next DC here...
We didn't offer him the DC job, so loyalty was not a factor
He left because he got a big promotion with a Head Coach he knows well

blueblood70

Reaction score
Quinn getting his guys in there asap

Going to say MM and Jones did not fight for him....let him walk.
I think it's hilarious when everybody wants to snowball this Jerry had a choice thing Jerry did this wrong Jerry didn't do that fast enough he already had his mind made-up most people knew Joe Witt was going with Dan Quinn that was almost obvious... Sure if it makes you feel better I don't want any of the guys here anyway you all have your own opinions but I don't want any remnants of the old defense here I saw what they did in big games and it was horrifying I don't care all the bully ball they played against the worst teams but all I needed to see is they couldn't hold the lead in Jacksonville or Green Bay in 2022 just blew those big leads in the fourth quarter I've seen Dan Quinn do that in Atlanta I've seen it this year one point lead in Miami with four minutes to go everyone says we scored too fast you know that's a code for the defense isn't good and we don't trust the defense I saw it in the Seattle win how bad the defense just couldn't stop anyone all these games we could just go pick them all Arizona Buffalo they couldn't stop the run they couldn't make stops without turnovers they gave up how many touchdowns in the Green Bay lost in the playoffs???

Somehow you guys feel that we just lost out on something and I'm telling you that this is what Jerry needs I am glad he doesn't have the choice on keeping what was left on the defensive staff I prefer a new defensive coordinator pick his own staff a brand new staff.... And yes I wish we would have purged all of everyone from Mike McCarthy down but at least we have one side of the ball that we can expect some kind of change whether it's good or bad grass is greener could blow up in our face I get it but I prefer to see that side of the ball something changed because I've been watching this the last two seasons and again they beat up on bad teams and they just get walked over in the big games,,,

yeah Quinn's getting his guys out quick huh yeah that's his big plan and none of these guys wanted to say because it's all garry's fault no they were going where the loyalty sends them and I knew this was gonna happen it is not a surprise to me....

Anyone who's surprised just really didn't have their eyes wide open... Most coordinators and head coaches that leave take their guys with them Parcells did it all the time players and coaches it happens this is normal this isn't aunt Jerry these people had their minds made-up just like a lot of the free agents or people at the trade deadline chose other teams it wasn't because of Jerry they did it because they had a personal reason to do so...

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious when everybody wants to snowball this Jerry had a choice thing Jerry did this wrong Jerry didn't do that fast enough he already had his mind made-up most people knew Joe Witt was going with Dan Quinn that was almost obvious... Sure if it makes you feel better I don't want any of the guys here anyway you all have your own opinions but I don't want any remnants of the old defense here I saw what they did in big games and it was horrifying I don't care all the bully ball they played against the worst teams but all I needed to see is they couldn't hold the lead in Jacksonville or Green Bay in 2022 just blew those big leads in the fourth quarter I've seen Dan Quinn do that in Atlanta I've seen it this year one point lead in Miami with four minutes to go everyone says we scored too fast you know that's a code for the defense isn't good and we don't trust the defense I saw it in the Seattle win how bad the defense just couldn't stop anyone all these games we could just go pick them all Arizona Buffalo they couldn't stop the run they couldn't make stops without turnovers they gave up how many touchdowns in the Green Bay lost in the playoffs???

Somehow you guys feel that we just lost out on something and I'm telling you that this is what Jerry needs I am glad he doesn't have the choice on keeping what was left on the defensive staff I prefer a new defensive coordinator pick his own staff a brand new staff.... And yes I wish we would have purged all of everyone from Mike McCarthy down but at least we have one side of the ball that we can expect some kind of change whether it's good or bad grass is greener could blow up in our face I get it but I prefer to see that side of the ball something changed because I've been watching this the last two seasons and again they beat up on bad teams and they just get walked over in the big games,,,

yeah Quinn's getting his guys out quick huh yeah that's his big plan and none of these guys wanted to say because it's all garry's fault no they were going where the loyalty sends them and I knew this was gonna happen it is not a surprise to me....

Anyone who's surprised just really didn't have their eyes wide open... Most coordinators and head coaches that leave take their guys with them Parcells did it all the time players and coaches it happens this is normal this isn't aunt Jerry these people had their minds made-up just like a lot of the free agents or people at the trade deadline chose other teams it wasn't because of Jerry they did it because they had a personal reason to do so...
Do what fast enough?

Do we even know that MM and Jerry wanted Whitt as DC?

Just wrote a page rant saying "you guys" this and "you guys" that and you don't even know if we wanted the guy

Gambit

Reaction score
That's odd I thought his loyalty was to Mike McCarthy and you were almost sure that he was being hired here isn't that ironic
This report has been shown to be erroneous. I, like several, took it to mean it was true, it is not. As of last night no interview had been scheduled with us or Washington.

And, yes, I was and until I hear definitively otherwise, I do think he's the guy for all the reasons I've educated you on.
And in that Last Post you tried to tell me that these guys aren't available
You have reading issues. I never said they weren't available I said I don't want them and provided 2 reasons.
when they get into an interview room with Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy Mike vrabel can be coaxed out of retiring or waiting a year
Man you have some high opinions of Jerry, is your name Stephen by chance?
there are other guys like Zimmer that are on people's list it's not just Rivera..
What do I care about any elses list? By your logic Whitt is on someone else's list so he naturally should be hired.
you're gonna give me a book to read on why you think that he should be hired here
It's called educating a guy who knows nothing about the person he is talking about, even suggested that a Passing Games Coordinator) DB coach had something to do with the onsides kick not being recovered by Atlanta.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself, and there may be another poster demand you show him how embarrassed you are.

And , no, I don't think Al Harris is ready for DC even he's said that he hasn't ever worked in x,s and X's and O's just position coaching.

Now go along and sniff Zimmer or Rivera jick some more.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Does the rule also apply to promotion to Assistant Head Coach?
Not anymore. If his contract were up and he wanted to make a lateral move, Dallas could theoretically add "assistant head coach" to his title with a raise just to keep him from leaving, but another team can't interview him for that position if he's already under contract.

Gambit

Reaction score
Do what fast enough?

Just wrote a page rant saying "you guys" this and "you guys" that and you don't even know if we wanted the guy
Up until yesterday he thought Whitt was responsible as a passing game coordinator for Atlanta not recovering an insides kick. So there is that

blueblood70

Reaction score
Do what fast enough?

hey it's a reply to your statement if you don't know what ASAP means do I have to say as soon as possible meaning you think that they were bailing on a sinking ship as if this wasn't a plan in place already we already pretty much knew that Joe Witt and probably out Harris all going with him that that to me took them out of the running and everyone talking about why they should stay here and I've been saying we're going outside the roster to find our next DC..been saying it..

I'm saying the writings on the wall usually when a head coach or coordinator leaves for a new job they take a lot of their assistance with them and some of their players if it's possible they it's been known in the NFL in sports for a very long time This is why I never even thought it was much of A possibility for any of them staying nor did I want it I want a new philosophy a new voice with a new plan here whether it backfires or not... You all that means this whole place the bickering the opinions everyone thinking who should stay who should go some of them are all standing at the Cliff saying it's about the all burn that the ship is sinking and it's over yeah this is the off season attitude ohh every off season we hear all this stuff you already know the conclusion why even bother watching the games...

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Not anymore. If his contract were up and he wanted to make a lateral move, Dallas could theoretically add "assistant head coach" to his title with a raise just to keep him from leaving, but another team can't interview him for that position if he's already under contract.
In that case, im keeping Harris and any other supposed promising defensive assistants under contract. The chances of finding better assistants by the time Dallas hires its coordinator are slim to none. They may be salty at first if they wanted to follow Quinn, but they'll get over it

_sturt_

Reaction score
I thought Mike Nolan would be good, so my judgement on DCs is CLAERLY off.
I remain skeptical that he may have been more a victim of circumstances than we could ever know... I mean... covid... not everyone had the same experiences... it really rocked the worlds of some, and others, not so much. In a world where we all have to choose if we're going to lean toward cynicism or the benefit of a doubt, I'm big on the benefit of a doubt thing, since I have often wanted/needed that for myself in life. And circling back to my point, what if Nolan, like my wife, had someone incredibly close to him who got sick and eventually died? We're not robots. Things affect us, and they should. I'm not saying that's what happened, of course, I'm saying Nolan came to the job with some regard and left the job with almost no regard... and it could just be a one-off.

Back to the topic at hand...

I'm surprised today that Whitt's hire hasn't been confirmed. Could it be that there's a tug-of-war of some kind? Dunno. I mean, Whitt and Quinn became close colleagues from all appearances, but Whitt's history is with McCarthy, and that would seem to be the stronger rooted relationship.