Commanders Insider Blog from Washington Post - Cowboys Breakdown

EGTuna

Reaction score
Posted by Skins beat writer Jason La Canfora, who is really good imo.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 2:43 PM ET, 11/14/2007
Practice\Cowboys Stuff
Most of the guys who missed practice were as expected.

During the portion we get to watch, no Santana Moss, Randy Thomas James Thrash, Sean Taylor. Marcus Washington was in pads but we'll have to wait to find out how much work he actually did.

Pete Kendall was not practicing eithe. He has the arthritic knee condition and we're guessing this will be termed a "veteran's day off" as it has in the past.

Other than that, had a few thoughts after getting to watch several hours of game film on the Cowboys with a veteran player the other night. We watched most of the Dallas games against the Giants, New England and Philadelphia, getting to see plays from the overhead view and from the end zone view - the coaches tape - and you came away very impressed with that the Cowboys are doing on offense.

We we watching the Dallas O specifically, and I'm not sure there is a more aggressive O coordinator in the NFL than Jason Garrett right now. Even against teams playing a Cover-2 shell, and even when backed deep in their own territory, the Cowboys are taking shots.

They repeatedly had TO run deep go routes to the end zone, sometimes 2-3 plays in a row, and even when they didn't throw the ball there, it left an impression. As a defense you had to respect the bomb all the time, and when Dallas gets between the 40s, look out. Then they really go for the throat.

Several times during drives they sent TO deep and drew attention from the deep safety on his side of the field and threw screens to Barber on the weak side for big gains. A few plays looked similar to the one Westbrook broke on the Skins last week.

Romo is fearless. He sliced up the Giants secondary with outs to the sideline from the opposite hash mark - tough throws to make - and if the Skins ends don't contain Romo and prevent him from planting his foot when he rolls out of the pocket it could be a very long day.

New England had good success against Dallas with a 3 man rush, as their linebackers were outstanding in underneath coverage and at times Belichick actually ended up in a Cover-4, with two linebackers taking halves underneath and two deep safeties. The Pats corners also sloughed off quite a bit and while Dallas put up some points they weren't going to get the big plays against them.

With no Sean Taylor, and an ailing Smoot, this is going to be a tough task. The Skins corners know they will be tested heavily and it's going to be tough to see the Skins D Line getting a whole lot of pressure on their own against this beefy O Line (Leonard Davis is thriving as a guard; I thought he would be a bust). So what do you do? If you bring the blitz and go Cover-0, Romo is too athletic and squirms away and kills you. If you sit back, Whitten and Barber can gut you underneath. (Whitten is having a tremendous season and excelling at disengaging from a blocker at the line, getting out into 20 yard routes and wreaking havoc with the safeties. That dude is much quicker than he looks when you slow down the tape and really see how ground he covers. As for Barber, there was a play against New England where he broke 7 tackles to avoid a safety and covered the length of the end zone from one side to the other, breaking away from Rodney Harrison and then working right to the opposite pylon. It was pretty sick. Not having Taylor deep to step up and hammer him is not good, because he will flat out run over most corners in this league.)

As London Fletcher told me today, "There aren't a whole lot of weaknesses there for you to really pick on." And given the fact Dallas is about to get Terry Glenn back and is essentially healthy on O, and the Skins could be without Marcus and Taylor, it's a little crazy to expect Dallas isn't going to score 28 points.

The Skins have to open it up offensively. I don't think there's any other way. They have some talent there - banged up or not - and have to give the players more of a stake in the attack, stick with the no huddle stuff, keep it simplified and show more go-for-the-throat mentality. Because there's no doubt that's how Dallas is going to come at the Skins D.

I asked Campbell today if he was impressed with the way Garret calls a game. He smiled a little nervously, kind of tried to talk around the question, then said: "All I'll say is their exciting to watch." It was pretty obvious what he was thinking, and I know a lot of the veterans around here feel like if the Skins keep with their ball control, grinding style, then this season is gonna' slip away. They have to put pressure on these defenses, stretch them vertically and horizontally and play to win, rather than hoping merely not to lose a close game

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If the Commanders open that offense up they're going to be asking for turnovers. It could get pretty nasty. Expect 20+ point differential.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;1766234 said:
If the Commanders open that offense up they're going to be asking for turnovers. It could get pretty nasty. Expect 20+ point differential.

I agree which is why I don't think they will. I think they will try and play the time of possesion and field position game.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
theogt;1766234 said:
Yup, skins best chance to win (which they won't) is to be very conservative, controlling the clock, keep scores low is their only chance because they don't have fire power to keep up with Dallas.

1fisher

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1766244 said:
I agree which is why I don't think they will. I think they will try and play the time of possesion and field position game.

I absolutely hate that brand of football! I like to see petal to medal.........:bow:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1766234 said:
I agree. They need to control the clock and slow the game to a crawl. Run Portis until he throws up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
1fisher;1766287 said:
I absolutely hate that brand of football! I like to see petal to medal.........:bow:

If you are outmanned then that is the best way to go. Also the skins have a good defense to go along with a top 8 running game so I expect them to play to their own strength until Dallas forcing them out of it.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I don't think there's a Commanders fan out there who doesn't want to swap OCs with us.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
From reading this, seems as this reporter and the player he was with do not think they have much of a shot

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
It would be very unwise for the Commanders to turn this game into a Track Meet.

Their best bet is to run the ball, take limited shots down field to keep the Cowboys secondary awake and play solid defense....kind of like we use to do in 2003.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/11-23-2006.n1a_23James1A.G6621BOCK.1.jpg
greater-than.gif
p1_portis.jpg

1fisher

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1766297 said:
If you are outmanned then that is the best way to go. Also the skins have a good defense to go along with a top 8 running game so I expect them to play to their own strength until Dallas forcing them out of it.

Probably won't take long for that to happen!

Mansta54

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1766297 said:

Ahh, I think you're giving their D way too much respect. They really aren't that good at all. They get ZERO pressure on the QB and they're corners are terrible. Springs is ok but Smuut and those other cats are flatout awful. We will destroy their D. It won't even be close...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mansta54;1766356 said:
Ahh, I think you're giving their D way too much respect. They really aren't that good at all. They get ZERO pressure on the QB and they're corners are terrible. Springs is ok but Smuut and those other cats are flatout awful. We will destroy their D. It won't even be close...

I did not say they had a great defense I said they had a good defense. Overall D they are ranked 11 in the NFL.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1766385 said:
I did not say they had a great defense I said they had a good defense. Overall D they are ranked 11 in the NFL.

I know, I hear ya. Not pickin at you at all. I've watched everyone of their games this year and I just don't think their D is very good at all. We will SCORE BIG POINTS on them...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mansta54;1766413 said:
I know, I hear ya. Not pickin at you at all. I've watched everyone of their games this year and I just don't think their D is very good at all. We will SCORE BIG POINTS on them...

I have seen them as well. Part of why we got the Sunday Ticket to see the Cowboys when they are not on locally but also to see the other teams in the east play.

I agree that the Skins are not a great defense but they are good and I do expect them to play us hard this coming weekend. I do think the key for the Commanders is to be able to run the ball and control the clock so that their defense is not left out there all day.

I guess one thing I learned from Tom Landry is to find the quality in the opponent the Cowboys face. I could sit here and say the Skins suck and we will just blow them out instead I look for the strength in our opponents to see what leads to them having success in games. When the skins have things going to me it appears to be in large part because they are able to run the ball and play good defense.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1766430 said:
I have seen them as well. Part of why we got the Sunday Ticket to see the Cowboys when they are not on locally but also to see the other teams in the east play.

I agree that the Skins are not a great defense but they are good and I do expect them to play us hard this coming weekend. I do think the key for the Commanders is to be able to run the ball and control the clock so that their defense is not left out there all day.

I guess one thing I learned from Tom Landry is to find the quality in the opponent the Cowboys face. I could sit here and say the Skins suck and we will just blow them out instead I look for the strength in our opponents to see what leads to them having success in games. When the skins have things going to me it appears to be in large part because they are able to run the ball and play good defense.

Ok, sounds good but I bet we hang 30 plus on that D.. Just saying...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mansta54;1766447 said:
Ok, sounds good but I bet we hang 30 plus on that D.. Just saying...

That would not shock me. Dallas has done a great job of putting 30 or more point in many wins this year. This is a game I expect Dallas to win but I will say it is the Commanders so I don't go into the game thinking blowout.