Commanders Offseason

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is going to be one interesting watch. They have the 2nd overall pick in a draft with two legit franchise QB's. 5 picks in the top 100. A ton of cap space. They could probably even move Howell for a top 100 pick if they wanted too

This  should be a situation that could attract high caliber HC candidates. But it is Washington. The new ownership has to really sell the idea that this isnt Snyders franchise anymore. That things will be done differently

RoboQB

Reaction score
First order of business should be to return the original
name. There's some traction toward that happening.
Probably won't, but if so, the fan base would explode!
I live in the area. They walk around like lost souls.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a joke, right?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope.
Check out Native American Guardians Association.
Yeah, they're nuts.

"The majority of these efforts have not been successful, due to members of local Native tribes advocating for the elimination of Native mascots."

RoboQB

Reaction score
Yeah, they're nuts.

"The majority of these efforts have not been successful, due to members of local Native tribes advocating for the elimination of Native mascots."
Wasn't a mascot. He was an actual Chief.
He was very proud to be portrayed on the helmet.

I get it though. Too many have been told it was wrong.
They are wrong but I'll leave it there.

Where did you find that quote? Go to their site and read up on the word we can't use.

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't a mascot. He was an actual Chief.
He was very proud to be portrayed on the helmet.

I get it though. Too many have been told it was wrong.
They are wrong but I'll leave it there.
Some people will believe anything. The logo was a composite of Native American photographs, which included a long-dead chief; it's safe to say he had no opinion on the matter.

Anyway, you're completely wrong about everything except this: best to leave it here.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Some people will believe anything. The logo was a composite of Native American photographs, which included a long-dead chief; it's safe to say he had no opinion on the matter.

Anyway, you're completely wrong about everything except this: best to leave it here.
Well, you're right in that some people will believe anything.

A composite of Blackfeet chief named White Calf.
(Yes, that's really a tribe and a chief... not a joke)
His family wants him returned on the helmet.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Enough of this nonsense. They dumped the old name because a lot of large and powerful corporations refusing to do business with because of that name. It was costing the organization money. Football is also not about a team's mascot. It's about the game. If this team can rebuild itself to its winning ways, the fans will be okay with the new name. I also kind of like their new design with just a simple W on their helmet. It's old school, and it works. Furthermore, this wasn't the first time that franchise changed their name. They used to be the Braves before they were the [old name redacted].
You're asking a team to make a change that will cost them money again. They can't build a winning team if they aren't making money. I understand that a lot of people didn't like the name change, but that's over and done with. Let it rest. It's about the game that's played on the field, not about teams' mascots. I would have been okay with them sticking with "Washington Football Team." That's actually literally who they are. If they build that team into a playoff-caliber one, or even a championship-level one, I still won't root for them because I'm a Cowboys fan. However, I will respect them.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Enough of this nonsense. They dumped the old name because a lot of large and powerful corporations refusing to do business with because of that name. It was costing the organization money. Football is also not about a team's mascot. It's about the game. If this team can rebuild itself to its winning ways, the fans will be okay with the new name. I also kind of like their new design with just a simple W on their helmet. It's old school, and it works. Furthermore, this wasn't the first time that franchise changed their name. They used to be the Braves before they were the [old name redacted].
You're asking a team to make a change that will cost them money again. They can't build a winning team if they aren't making money. I understand that a lot of people didn't like the name change, but that's over and done with. Let it rest. It's about the game that's played on the field, not about teams' mascots. I would have been okay with them sticking with "Washington Football Team." That's actually literally who they are. If they build that team into a playoff-caliber one, or even a championship-level one, I still won't root for them because I'm a Cowboys fan. However, I will respect them.
Respectfully, changing the name was nonsense.
I stand by my comments. I live in the area.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Respectfully, changing the name was nonsense.
I stand by my comments. I live in the area.
You want that team to lose money? Because that's exactly what will happen if they change the name back. I don't give a crap about the woke BS. It's money that keeps these teams afloat. Dan Snyder didn't give a crap about that either. He made the name change for money reasons, and money reasons only. He may have been a lousy owner, but even he understood the threat of having all those corporations pull out their advertising. The petition to change the team's name back is a petition to bankrupt the team. If the new owner is sane, he's not going to do that. No team owner, and no owner of a big company for that matter, is going to take action that destroys a huge portion of their revenue. They could get away with changing their name to something else. They could change it to the "Red Hawks" or one of the other name's they were considering, but changing it back to their old name would be economic suicide for them. They might as well give all their bank account passwords to hackers in India.
The name change issue is OVER. You may not like the result, and that's fine. Plenty of things happen in reality that we don't like. We don't like getting old, but all we can do is accept it. You meditate for ten hours straight with your mantra being "I am young, I am young," but the fact is, your age is whatever it is. Wishful thinking doesn't change that fact. They're not going to make a change that will shoot a bazooka at their pocketbook. It would be the dumbest decision any team has ever made.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You want that team to lose money? Because that's exactly what will happen if they change the name back. I don't give a crap about the woke BS. It's money that keeps these teams afloat. Dan Snyder didn't give a crap about that either. He made the name change for money reasons, and money reasons only. He may have been a lousy owner, but even he understood the threat of having all those corporations pull out their advertising. The petition to change the team's name back is a petition to bankrupt the team. If the new owner is sane, he's not going to do that. No team owner, and no owner of a big company for that matter, is going to take action that destroys a huge portion of their revenue. They could get away with changing their name to something else. They could change it to the "Red Hawks" or one of the other name's they were considering, but changing it back to their old name would be economic suicide for them. They might as well give all their bank account passwords to hackers in India.
The name change issue is OVER. You may not like the result, and that's fine. Plenty of things happen in reality that we don't like. We don't like getting old, but all we can do is accept it. You meditate for ten hours straight with your mantra being "I am young, I am young," but the fact is, your age is whatever it is. Wishful thinking doesn't change that fact. They're not going to make a change that will shoot a bazooka at their pocketbook. It would be the dumbest decision any team has ever made.
You've given your opinion. I disagree. Feel free to move on. You're starting to unravel.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
You've given your opinion. I disagree. Feel free to move on. You're starting to unravel.
No, I just spoke the truth. If you owned an NFL team, you would not do something that destroyed its value either. You can claim you would, but you wouldn't. Dan Snyder was defiant at first too. He claimed he would never change the team's name, but that's exactly what he did when he realized how much money he would lose. You would do the same thing. Your only other choice would be to own a bankrupt team.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That is going to be one interesting watch. They have the 2nd overall pick in a draft with two legit franchise QB's. 5 picks in the top 100. A ton of cap space. They could probably even move Howell for a top 100 pick if they wanted too

This  should be a situation that could attract high caliber HC candidates. But it is Washington. The new ownership has to really sell the idea that this isnt Snyders franchise anymore. That things will be done differently
A lot of mocks now have QBs going 1-2-3
Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels in various order

I'm not convinced the Bears will give up on Fields and go QB. If they don't, they can get a boatload of picks this year and still have 2 picks in the top 10 picks this year.

RoboQB

Reaction score
No, I just spoke the truth. If you owned an NFL team, you would not do something that destroyed its value either. You can claim you would, but you wouldn't. Dan Snyder was defiant at first too. He claimed he would never change the team's name, but that's exactly what he did when he realized how much money he would lose. You would do the same thing. Your only other choice would be to own a bankrupt team.
It doesn't seem to be hurting the KC Chiefs.
Revenue is split evenly amongst all 32 teams.
Nobody was overly concerned about it until
about 200 activists got involved and people got
scared.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be hurting the KC Chiefs.
Revenue is split evenly amongst all 32 teams.
Nobody was overly concerned about it until
about 200 activists got involved and people got
scared.
The corporate sponsorship didn't threaten to pull out from the Chiefs.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The corporate sponsorship didn't threaten to pull out from the Chiefs.
The NFL is a nearly $20 billion a year machine.
Corporate sponsors are lined up around the corner.
Never bend the knee.

Snyder was pushed out because he's a perv who
pimped out cheerleaders as eye candy for his private
parties with high rollers. This left the door open for
activists to get a win in what was otherwise laughed
off every year prior.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The NFL is a nearly $20 billion a year machine.
Corporate sponsors are lined up around the corner.
Never bend the knee.

Snyder was pushed out because he's a perv who
pimped out cheerleaders as eye candy for his private
parties with high rollers. This left the door open for
activists to get a win in what was otherwise laughed
off every year prior.
I never said Snyder was a good owner. He made a lot of bad decisions. Renaming his team wasn't one of them, however. He stood to lose billions of dollars if he didn't, so it was basically a no-brainer. We can't read his mind, of course, but he may have realized he would have to sell the team at some point. So, of course he would want to sell it for as much money as he can get for it. Even if he had no plans to sell at that point, there's no owner alive who wants the value of his team to take a huge hit.
I understand that you see it as ridiculous, but it's not something that you or I can change. It makes more sense to just let it go. I personally didn't like the change that started happening in about the 90s where they started naming football stadiums after corporations. I've always thought it would be more meaningful to name our stadium "Landry Stadium" than the name that it has. However, they went with the corporate name because that worked better financially. So, I decided to just let it go and not worry about it.
And, one more thing to be clear. I'm not saying that, because you don't like the name change, that that makes you some kind of racist or neo-fascist or whatever. I don't know you, but I make no assumptions that you hate indigenous tribal people, or anyone else. My points are about money, and only about money. That team made the change because they needed to for their financial survival. We can just agree to disagree if you want, but I have no hard feelings toward you, and I would hope that's reciprocal.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I never said Snyder was a good owner. He made a lot of bad decisions. Renaming his team wasn't one of them, however. He stood to lose billions of dollars if he didn't, so it was basically a no-brainer. We can't read his mind, of course, but he may have realized he would have to sell the team at some point. So, of course he would want to sell it for as much money as he can get for it. Even if he had no plans to sell at that point, there's no owner alive who wants the value of his team to take a huge hit.
I understand that you see it as ridiculous, but it's not something that you or I can change. It makes more sense to just let it go. I personally didn't like the change that started happening in about the 90s where they started naming football stadiums after corporations. I've always thought it would be more meaningful to name our stadium "Landry Stadium" than the name that it has. However, they went with the corporate name because that worked better financially. So, I decided to just let it go and not worry about it.
And, one more thing to be clear. I'm not saying that, because you don't like the name change, that that makes you some kind of racist or neo-fascist or whatever. I don't know you, but I make no assumptions that you hate indigenous tribal people, or anyone else. My points are about money, and only about money. That team made the change because they needed to for their financial survival. We can just agree to disagree if you want, but I have no hard feelings toward you, and I would hope that's reciprocal.
It's all good here. I appreciate that last paragraph.
I have some Cherokee blood but not enough to claim
I'm tribal. My great, great grandmother on my dad's
side was Cherokee. It was about money on my end as well. Like I mentioned, living in the area, there would be a huge jump in ticket sales.

Did you notice, one of Dak's signals at the line yesterday
was "Red Wolf"? I thought that was interesting.
"Washington Red Wolves" does have a nice sound to it.
Now, I gotta read up on Red Wolves, I guess.
Enjoy the rest of your day 'Rev.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

no one's taking Howell, but I do agree, they should be able to turn this around

just gotta hope this is closer to the 2004 draft with Eli, Rivers and Big Ben and not the 2020 draft with Lawrence, Wilson and Trey...