Commanders Seek to Restructure Contracts for Salary Cap Space

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Is this the only team that has such big cap problems? Crazy with how fast the cap is going up.

Commanders Seek to Restructure Contracts for Salary Cap Space
Tuesday, January 30, 2007; Page E02

The Commanders have begun contacting agents for several key players, attempting to create additional space under the 2007 salary cap, and reworked wide receiver James Thrash's deal last week, according to sources with knowledge of the situation who requested anonymity because some of the negotiations are in the early stages.

Thrash, 32, who has been a special teams player and a solid receiver in limited duty, was set to make $1.3 million in base salary in 2007, but some of that money was converted into a bonus, trimming about $380,000 of Washington's cap. He also received a two-year extension as part of the deal, the sources said.

Several more players will have to agree to lower their cap figures in order to make space to sign free agents as the Commanders seek to improve a 5-11 team. They have approached several key veterans already, sources said, and likely will speak with agents for quarterback Mark Brunell, cornerback Shawn Springs, tackle Jon Jansen, and defensive linemen Renaldo Wynn and Phillip Daniels, among others.

Teams must be under the cap, estimated at $109 million, in early March, which is when clubs are eligible to begin signing free agents from other teams.

-- Jason La Canfora

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I wonder how many times they are going to redo Burnell and Jansen's contract?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
What's the use of the Salary cap if their are so many loop holes, teams can consistantly beat it?

Make it simple, set the cap, if you go over, you can't prorate crap, you just have to cut big time players. In other words, don't just sling money around and expect to continuously manipulate the system, and still get great players.

Om

Reaction score
Remember when Snyder charged admission for training camp? He used the money to pay off the commissioner (wasn't a hard sell; rememeber, Tags was a season ticket holder) to look the other way while his secret weapon (Vinny Cerrato, who sucks at scouting but is a MASTER hacker) broke into the league's computer network, accessed the CBA and put asterisks next to each rule related to the salary cap. Then, at the very bottom in very VERY fine print, he wrote "Except for Washington."

So far its stood up in court. The suit (brought by Art Modell, who hates Snyder more than most because he's shorter AND has more money) has been kept hush hush because its kind of embarrassing to the league when you think about it.

Plus, Snyder bought the judge.

Hey, they don't pay me enough to keep ALL their secrets.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Clove;1348531 said:
What's the use of the Salary cap if their are so many loop holes, teams can consistantly beat it?

Make it simple, set the cap, if you go over, you can't prorate crap, you just have to cut big time players. In other words, don't just sling money around and expect to continuously manipulate the system, and still get great players.

It sure has brought them great success every season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Om;1348571 said:
Remember when Snyder charged admission for training camp? He used the money to pay off the commissioner (wasn't a hard sell; rememeber, Tags was a season ticket holder) to look the other way while his secret weapon (Vinny Cerrato, who sucks at scouting but is a MASTER hacker) broke into the league's computer network, accessed the CBA and put asterisks next to each rule related to the salary cap. Then, at the very bottom in very VERY fine print, he wrote "Except for Washington."

So far its stood up in court. The suit (brought by Art Modell, who hates Snyder more than most because he's shorter AND has more money) has been kept hush hush because its kind of embarrassing to the league when you think about it.

Plus, Snyder bought the judge.

Hey, they don't pay me enough to keep ALL their secrets.
You should have scooped Pittman4Two about this. His bloodhounds could have had a major story.

Om

Reaction score
Hostile;1348581 said:
You should have scooped Pittman4Two about this. His bloodhounds could have had a major story.
Would have, but I've been busy forging letters of recommendation from various well-respected coaches, front office people and media members on behalf of Norv Turner to Jerry Jones. There are priorities.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Om;1348610 said:
Would have, but I've been busy forging letters of recommendation from various well-respected coaches, front office people and media members on behalf of Norv Turner to Jerry Jones. There are priorities.
Well, then I commend you on your scruples. Excuse me while I get back to this e-mail to my friends Dan and Vinny in the DC area. Once again I am pointing out the fallacies of the NFL Draft and why they should avoid it like the plague. I know they are on the edges of their seats waiting to see how the story ends.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Om;1348610 said:

AHA...the truth finally comes out.

I guess this is payback for the secret cowboys getting signed by the Commanders and under achieving...you know like the "blocker magnet"

However it is ok.

I have been using a plan for years now, and although it is going slowly I am positive that it will finally work in the end.

I have been secretly using my shrinking ray and sending the ray out to Danny Snyder's office. Of course it loses some of it's power over such a distance but I can tell Danny has shrunk some over the years.

I figure I will keep using it until he is only about the size of vern troyer. I don't want him to lose his ownership of the skins, just irritate him some more and keep him playing madden/trading card decisions in the offseason.

I thought of making him a tad smaller but I am afraid Vinny would blink those huge bug eyes and danny would get caught in them.

His short man, chip on the shoulder ego problem will get worse and worse and he will never allow the skins to win it all.

I figure if face lift jerry is going to screw the cowboys, I will do my part to make sure that Danny keeps doing the same.

So THERE...how do you like those apples Mr Commanders Fan!!!

;) :p:

Om

Reaction score
You guys are so naive. I counteracted your feeble attempts at undermining Snyder as soon as El Dorado told me about them.

That's right, brudda's been moling for us since leaving SF. Snyder initially wanted him to suck the soul out of that tall bastige Modell in Balto, but thought better of it and ended up keeping it in the the NFCE. First it was Philly to get under Reid's skin (no easy task--man's well insulated), then on to Dallas. The returns have been so good THERE that TO (that greedy mofo) wants to renegotiate already. Again.

Anyway, when he told us about you guys and your dollar-store Jedi mind trick stuff on The Dan, I did the obvious thing. I put lifts in his Bruno Magli's.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Om;1348668 said:
You guys are so naive. I counteracted your feeble attempts at undermining Snyder as soon as El Dorado told me about them.

That's right, brudda's been moling for us since leaving SF. Snyder initially wanted him to suck the soul out of that tall bastige Modell in Balto, but thought better of it and ended up keeping it in the the NFCE. First it was Philly to get under Reid's skin (no easy task--man's well insulated), then on to Dallas. The returns have been so good THERE that TO (that greedy mofo) wants to renegotiate already. Again.

Anyway, when he told us about you guys and your dollar-store Jedi mind trick stuff on The Dan, I did the obvious thing. I put lifts in his Bruno Magli's.
Well, since confession is good for the soul, I might as well see the soul doctor. It was me who recommended Adam Archuleta as the solution to your secondary problems. I sent pictures of his wife in every e-mail about how she was married to the guy who should be the highest paid Safety in the NFL to keep her looking that good. I felt it was my state of Arizona duty to help.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Om;1348668 said:

Did you put lifts in his pants and skull?

Maybe a shoe horn in his backside to help him get up on chairs?

Back to my evil Plans

The TO one is a good one, but I have never trusted him so the gig was up for me on that one.

However just the other day I contacted Sherman and Peabody.

They let me use the way back machine.

I went back in time and planted Vinny as Dannys sidekick aka Smithers to Burns.

The rest so far...as they say...is history.:D

Om

Reaction score
Hostile;1348689 said:
Well, since confession is good for the soul, I might as well see the soul doctor. It was me who recommended Adam Archuleta as the solution to your secondary problems. I sent pictures of his wife in every e-mail about how she was married to the guy who should be the highest paid Safety in the NFL to keep her looking that good. I felt it was my state of Arizona duty to help.
Forgot to thank you for that one. Sure, AA was a bit of a disappointment at safety this season, but damn that's one fine lady. Reminds me ... she asked me to pass on a message. I don't understand it myself, but she told me you would. She said, "Tell Hos I'm wasn't really upset--it happens to guys sometimes."

Now I'm off to finish up the draft of Backpedalling for Dummies I've been working on. AA's got dibs on the first signed copy and time is short.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Om;1348717 said:
Forgot to thank you for that one. Sure, AA was a bit of a disappointment at safety this season, but damn that's one fine lady. Reminds me ... she asked me to pass on a message. I don't understand it myself, but she told me you would. She said, "Tell Hos I'm wasn't really upset--it happens to guys sometimes."

Now I'm off to finish up the draft of Backpedalling for Dummies I've been working on. AA's got dibs on the first signed copy and time is short.

I bet she is talking about Hos and his gas problem. He sounds like a fog horn on steroids some times.

One sure way to figure it out...look and see if her eyebrows look real or fake.:laugh1:

CounterTrey

Reaction score
Hostile;1348689 said:
Well, since confession is good for the soul, I might as well see the soul doctor. It was me who recommended Adam Archuleta as the solution to your secondary problems.

So YOU'RE the one!

Om

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1348691 said:
Did you put lifts in his pants and skull?
Um, no. You specifically reserved that for you and Hos, remember?

You guys ever work out who had which?

Back to my evil Plans

The TO one is a good one, but I have never trusted him so the gig was up for me on that one.

However just the other day I contacted Sherman and Peabody.

They let me use the way back machine.

I went back in time and planted Vinny as Dannys sidekick aka Smithers to Burns.

The rest so far...as they say...is history.:D
Well, like I said, it's been about 50/50 so far. Our scouting dept may have its occasional off day, but we're kicking some serious arse in the cheating under the cap dept.

My countermeasure of turning the clock back to 1991 by bringing back Gibbs hit an unexpected temporal snag--something about g-string theory according to Vinny--last season, but we think we've got that ironed out. The wallpaper's going up in S. Hawking's office this weekend, so he should be ready to pitch in come draft day.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Om;1348733 said:
Um, no. You specifically reserved that for you and Hos, remember?

You guys ever work out who had which?

I think that is Art's job...since he is around that area to kiss butt anyways. :D

Well, like I said, it's been about 50/50 so far. Our scouting dept may have its occasional off day, but we're kicking some serious arse in the cheating under the cap dept.

My countermeasure of turning the clock back to 1991 by bringing back Gibbs hit an unexpected temporal snag--something about g-string theory according to Vinny--last season, but we think we've got that ironed out. The wallpaper's going up in S. Hawking's office this weekend, so he should be ready to pitch in come draft day.

Yes...nothing like that killer cap strategy...there has to be a way to make it work in order to sign players like Adam A and B. Lloyd.

:laugh1: