Comp pick question

Verdict

Reaction score
If we end up losing more than 4 net comp pick qualifying players does the formula bump up the level of the comp picks to a higher round??

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I know what your asking but I don't know for sure. I don't think so though. If we lose 7 net qualifying free agents and the top 4 equate to a 4, 5, 5, 6, I don't think they take the value of the remaining 3 and add it in giving the team higher picks.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Talking to Nick some more on Twitter, if Claiborne signs a contract elsewhere for $5.6M APY or more, one of the 6's would turn into a 5.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Talking to Nick some more on Twitter, if Claiborne signs a contract elsewhere for $5.6M APY or more, one of the 6's would turn into a 5.
That figures. If he signs with Baltimore at their current rumored offer, it is below the $5.6M.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score

AbeBeta

Reaction score

erod

Reaction score
So If Claiborne signs with the Ravens for $5,000.000 (think that's the rumor) that would be another 6th rounder ? Guess we will see if Carr signs with anyone also ....

But these will all be for next year. Not this draft.

LittleD

Reaction score
It may be a few weeks before we have a good idea. We can only get a max of 4 comp picks for the 2018 (next year's draft) but,
since there are only 32 total comp picks for the NFL ours will get ranked in the 32. We could get 3 or less under many
scenarios depending who signs for higher money.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The goal should be to go out and get the best talent to help the team; comp picks 5 years down the road should not be a motivation.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don't fall in love with the 6ths. Those could easily be 7ths and may not exist at all if there are 32 higher value comp picks
agreed.
a WAG from me would be come next draft we have an extra 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th.
that's a great haul but we aren't exactly stacking top 100 picks.
re-signing DMC versus signing AP helps obviously.
team appears very aware of stacking these picks.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
But these will all be for next year. Not this draft.
Yep, we get nothing this year. Was Just looking to see if we can somehow increase the value of the picks - doesn't really look like it. Really struggling to get a grip on this years draft, so many different positions needed to fill with late round picks. It's going to be difficult, and I keep going back and forth on our first pick, which will be critical to get right ! DE, CB, SS I've looked at each in the first and honestly have no idea what way to go - I guess in Will we trust ...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If we end up losing more than 4 net comp pick qualifying players does the formula bump up the level of the comp picks to a higher round??
The max is 4 and there is no extra bonus for losing more than 4 net

At 9m AAV Leary is right on the cusp of 3rd/4th round..... it would have been a 3rd last year but will most likely be a 4th this years since more players were signed to larger deals

they had 11 3rd comps this year and that is way too many

the only benefit to losing more than 4 net FAs is that we can sign a couple of our own before losing one of the 4 comp picks

erod

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think comp picks should be given to teams, period.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
The goal should be to go out and get the best talent to help the team; comp picks 5 years down the road should not be a motivation.
The only positive is that now that comp. picks can be traded, is that they can be used to help in trading up if we felt the need to. I.E. say if next year we wanted to trade up from 4th back into third and offer the 4th and say a 6th comp. pick. Just a hypothetical but more picks better - usually.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yep, we get nothing this year. Was Just looking to see if we can somehow increase the value of the picks - doesn't really look like it. Really struggling to get a grip on this years draft, so many different positions needed to fill with late round picks. It's going to be difficult, and I keep going back and forth on our first pick, which will be critical to get right ! DE, CB, SS I've looked at each in the first and honestly have no idea what way to go - I guess in Will we trust ...
Knowing we are getting 4 comp picks this year we could always trade a 2018 4th for a 5th this year

A little instant gratification and present day value of money to even things out

We don't need 11 picks next year and no 5th this year

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

this is part of the rules of operation and utilizing an approach that nets extra draft picks is simply smart management.
dallas look to be on an every other year plan regarding free agency and that is all built into the cap spreadsheets as well.
keep in mind Dak was added with a comp selection.

the draft comp is 12 months down the road not 5 years. the Dak selection paid dividends 12 months later not 5 years.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Don't fall in love with the 6ths. Those could easily be 7ths and may not exist at all if there are 32 higher value comp picks

There won't be 32 higher picks awarded. There are always 7th round comps picks given out. Dallas will get their 4 unless they sign several more free agents.