CFZ Comparing Dak and Cooper's First Three Starts

GINeric

Reaction score
Looking at each players salary
Cooper is definitely the better value.

Absolutely!!! I just hope if Rush wins the starting job and they pay him a nice contract.... they don't switch up to a pass happy offense like they did Dak.

You keep doing what got the quarterbacks paid from the start. You don't pay quarterbacks then switch up the winning formula. Thats just stupid!!!

It'll be the same movie all over again.... Rush starts, Dak traded, Rush gets a max contract and then the offense switches up to do things we're not built to do personnel wise and abandoningthe run game, then Rush have issues, fake *** fans turn on Rush.....

Rush gets hurt, the new backup comes in, Moore implements more of a running game for the backup, the passing lanes open up, the new backup looks like a hero unti he starts, get paid and get the offense switched up on him and the run game is abandoned once again....

Rinse and repeat.....

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Dak was a 4th round rookie. Cooper is a +5 year veteran that has been on multiple teams.

I can tell you what Dak, Cooper, and Romo are not....Franchise QBs. This team is playing like they know Cooper Rush is their QB and not overrated Dak or Romo. They run to win, throw to score, and defense is play for championship. That's how you win in football.
Romo wasn't a franchise qb? Lol

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
So pay the guy $40m but simplify the gameplan and offense because he isnt that guy?

Sounds like they wouldve been better off finding a new QB :popcorn:
Any QB has a better chance of winning with a balanced game plan and effective running game. Dak has been the guy to put up massive numbers, but it's been proven that if he has a ground game to compliment him, football games are won. TB12 himself has won Super Bowls with middle of the road numbers. Kind of silly to assume that he has to put up 5k yards and 50 TDs to justify the contract.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
All throughout the off-season it was all about how the offense needed to run through Zeke. For whatever reason that line of thinking was a passing thought weak 1. Hopefully they remain focused on playing the same kind of ball when Dak returns. ITS HIS JOB.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Absolutely!!! I just hope if Rush wins the starting job and they pay him a nice contract.... they don't switch up to a pass happy offense like they did Dak.

You keep doing what got the quarterbacks paid from the start. You don't pay quarterbacks then switch up the winning formula. Thats just stupid!!!

It'll be the same movie all over again.... Rush starts, Dak traded, Rush gets a max contract and then the offense switches up to do things we're not built to do personnel wise and abandoningthe run game, then Rush have issues, fake *** fans turn on Rush.....

Rush gets hurt, the new backup comes in, Moore implements more of a running game for the backup, the passing lanes open up, the new backup looks like a hero unti he starts, get paid and get the offense switched up on him and the run game is abandoned once again....

Rinse and repeat.....
Be nice to go back to what worked for Dak
Because with Dak's salary he's going to be here awhile!

plasticman

Reaction score
I think some fans are mistaken if they think that Dak started after Romo came back just because they were winning. That's not how coaches think.

Dak continued to start because the coaches felt that he gave them a better chance to win over Romo. That is debatable and I'm not going to get into that right now. My point is, the present coaches have made their evaluations and are convinced that, even though Cooper quarterbacked these last two games, they see no reason to believe that a healthy Dak wouldn't have done the same.

I'm not saying they are right but I did imagine what it would have been like for Cooper to start against the Bucs regardless of his amount of preparation. Based on the intensity of the pressure and the other events like Connor's injury, I don't believe the results would have changed.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
So pay the guy $40m but simplify the gameplan and offense because he isnt that guy?

post of the day. We have to dummy our offense down finally because the coaches may finally be seeing that Dak is not brain smart. Pay 40mm for a game manager and someone who cannot win A big game let alone the big game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What distorts the comparison is you’re comparing Dak as a rookie and Rush who’s in his 5th season. Dak kept getting better with each game. I think Rush has played as good as he can. Go compare Aikman’s first three starts as a rookie with Rush. Lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
.......Because I'm in the mood to stick a broom into a hornet's nest and wiggle it around.

I'm joking. My purpose is to demonstrate that the Cowboys are gameplanning Cooper in almost exactly the same way they did Dak when he first started and Cooper is coming up with practically the same numbers.

Here are the comparisons:

Pass attempts:

Dak 99
Cooper 102

Completions:

Dak 66
Cooper 64

Yards

Dak 767
Cooper 775

Sacks

Dak 4
Cooper 4

INT's

Dak 0
Cooper 1

Yards per attempt

Dak 7.7
Cooper 7.6

TD's:

Dak 1
Cooper 4

QB rating:

Dak 93.3
Cooper 95.0

Record:

Dak 2-1
Cooper 3-0

My point is, instead of focusing on Dak's salary they should be looking at ways to help him win. Instead of justifying Jerry's poor management of the cap by trying to turn Dak into Rodgers or Mahomes, they should return to the times when the offense was more balanced and Dak had to take less risks.

As you can all recall, 2016 was not a bad season. So far, even under the circumstances, 2022 isn't a bad season.

That is what they are trying to do. Their main focus in the offseason was to fix the Oline and get the run game going again. Its one of the reasons that Rush has been able to drive the bus and still win. Along with the defense and weak competition.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
READING and COMPREHENSION is a lost art in this world. So many people are just sitting back and waiting to try and make someone else look stupid.

The OP is bringing up these two QB's stats to show posters that a QB doesn't have to be great if his team has a balance attack. Not just Rush or Dak, but any QB.

If your name isn't Tom Brady, then you probably need a balance attack to appear in multiple Super Bowls.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

plasticman

Reaction score
READING and COMPREHENSION is a lost art in this world. So many people are just sitting back and waiting to try and make someone else look stupid.

The OP is bringing up these two QB's stats to show posters that a QB doesn't have to be great if his team has a balance attack. Not just Rush or Dak, but any QB.

If your name isn't Tom Brady, then you probably need a balance attack to appear in multiple Super Bowls.
Actually, in the early part of Brady's career, that's exactly how they had three Super Bowl championship seasons.

The first championship year of Brady as a starter, they passed 50.4% of the time. The second championship season they passed 53% of the time and the 3rd championship season they passed 48.6% of the time. The early championship seasons of the Patriots were extremely balanced.

In truth, even Brady's first four seasons as a starter he took on a bus driver role. He was the best because he knew and his coach knew that he had to play within himself, play smart. I think the Cowboys messed up by not keeping Dak in the same role. He was almost the perfect busdriver his rookie season. Its when they tried to turn him into a passing superstar that they ran into trouble.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Actually, in the early part of Brady's career, that's exactly how they had three Super Bowl championship seasons.

The first championship year of Brady as a starter, they passed 50.4% of the time. The second championship season they passed 53% of the time and the 3rd championship season they passed 48.6% of the time. The early championship seasons of the Patriots were extremely balanced.

In truth, even Brady's first four seasons as a starter he took on a bus driver role. He was the best because he knew and his coach knew that he had to play within himself, play smart. I think the Cowboys messed up by not keeping Dak in the same role. He was almost the perfect busdriver his rookie season. Its when they tried to turn him into a passing superstar that they ran into trouble.
Yes Brady evolved, but most don't. The front offices of some of these teams think they have a budding star on their hands, but it never materializes.

Keep it simple and play smart.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yes Brady evolved, but most don't. The front offices of some of these teams think they have a budding star on their hands, but it never materializes.

Keep it simple and play smart.

I think the Cowboys would have stayed on the right track with Dak had they not elevated Kellen Moore. Garrett was often criticized for trying to replicate the 90's. But he was half right.. He wanted to build the offense around the running game, play action and timing passes. His problem was that the teams he coached weren't as talented as those 90's teams so they couldn't afford to be predictable like those 90's team were. When the elevated Moore the only thing that really changed is they threw away about a third of the play book.. which was basically all but 5 of the running plays.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
They are playing now as a team and Rush is one of them not standing out
once Dak is in that will change..it will be him first team second

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Yeah that is probably mostly on the jones boys , who
like passing, and big stars, and they want their qb to have the big stats etc. Dont forget they run a circus, not a team lol.

Also though I remember media, and some here complaining about dak, saying he cjouldnt get over 200 and then 300 yds, and then that he cjouldnt throw
deep ball , and some other stuff. It was like they all wanted more than just wins, but they wanted stats and a certain template to be met.

So dak and coaches changed things, and team and dak wound up a flashy loser with good stats !! here we are now seeing that crap
doesnt make team a winner.

But no worries, jerry will put dak back in , and soon the flashy loser with stats will be here again, and I dont just mean dak, but the team and owners.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Which you and most NFL teams know is simple. Share the plan please.