CFZ Comparing Dak and Cooper's First Three Starts

Cmac

Reaction score
So pay the guy $40m but simplify the gameplan and offense because he isnt that guy?

Sounds like they wouldve been better off finding a new QB :popcorn:
Once again.....salary is the issue. We might be the only fan base/franchise that marvels for minimum-waged players.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
No it's not. Comparing a rookie to a guy who has been in the NFL for 5 years is ludicrous. Rush has more years in this offense than Dak had months in 2016. And lest we forget, before Romo went down against Seattle in that preseason game and then Moore trashed his achilles, Dak was the 3rd or 4th QB depending on who you asked. He was getting table scraps for reps up to that point. So he really only got a week or two of first team reps before the season started.. Apples to Winnebagos..

In reference to the bolded, that's more than what Rush got. You are absolutely right there is no possible way to compare someone who has 5 years experience as a starter to someone who has started 3 games. I truly believe if Rush had the same amount of starts as Dak has (though I am not saying Rush is better) I think the comparison would be much closer than some want to admit... The only way you can compare the 2 is by their first 3 games that each played. Any other comparison is just talking out of rear ends.

But honestly (and I have said this in a few threads) at the end of the day, both of them are bus drivers. Nothing more, nothing less... Unfortunately one of them is getting paid 20 times more than the other... No, it's not Dak's fault for that. It's the idiots in the front office. Dak lit it up his rookie season. There is no denying that. but right after that, I believe (at that point) he had peaked and shouldn't have gotten the offer that he got. But because he did, we are in the situation that we're in. I don't think either one is our future. I never have thought either one was.

Qcard

Reaction score
So pay the guy $40m but simplify the gameplan and offense because he isnt that guy?

Makes you wonder why Giants cut Cooper Rush

Dak Hater logic:muttley:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

This is the point right? You overpaid for a bus driver. Everything Dak has shown in 7 years proves that he is a game manager and there is nothing wrong with that, you can win with that provided you pay him like a game manager and use the savings to surround him with the talent he needs to be successful

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE-YvlGJ7k_Y67YB2MMJq0xsjqQ_SaD5XwDw&usqp=CAU

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2016 offense was designed specifically for Dak's strengths and weaknesses.

Since he has been moved into the pocket he has become defensed and is no longer effective.

why don't you look at Dak's last 3 games and compare them to Cooper's 3 as they're in the same offensive system.
Keep in mind one of those teams that Dak faced was an eagles squad that was less effective than a high school team by the end of last season.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The 2016 offense was designed specifically for Dak's strengths and weaknesses.

Since he has been moved into the pocket he has become defensed and is no longer effective.

why don't you look at Dak's last 3 games and compare them to Cooper's 3 as they're in the same offensive system.
Keep in mind one of those teams that Dak faced was an eagles squad that was less effective than a high school team by the end of last season.

Also playing teams like the Eagles 2nd string squad last years is how the Cowboys ended up with the overrated stat of #1 offense in the league. They had 2 games against a horrible Giants team that they beat up and one meaningless game where they hung 50 on the Eagles practice squad which was no more surprising that the US womens national soccer team losing to the U-14 boys team.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Funny to watch the Dak defenders come out and tear apart a thread that wasn't a knock on Dak but rather a comparison about how the Dallas offense is being structured for team success. Some will stop at nothing to tear apart any QB that isn't Dak leading this team, especially if that QB is helping the team win.

The fact of the matter is Dallas, under Dak, had its most success in 2016 (in part because Dak was a rookie and teams didn't have enough film to plan for him) when Dak had his lowest pass attempts (459) while seeing the team rush for 495 attempts.....and the TEAM finished with a 13-3 record that season.

By way of comparison 2021 was Dak's best statistical season which saw him throw 596 pass attempts and Dallas finishing 12-5 (Dak missed 1 game due to injury)....while Dallas had 464 rushing attempts.

Now say what you will but look at the pass attempts of Dak by year and the Dallas record:

2016: 459 attempts (495 rushing attempts) 13-3 record
2017: 490 attempts (478 rushing attempts) 9-7 record
2018: 526 attempts (439 rushing attempts) 10-6 record
2019: 596 attempts (449 rushing attempts) 8-8 record ****of note this was Dak's last year of his rookie contract****
2020: 222 attempts (124 rushing attempts) 2-3 record (Dak was under the franchise tag and got a season ending injury; he was on a pace to throw over 700 pass attempts)
2021: 596 attempts (464 rushing attempts) 11-5 record (Dak signed a 4-year/$160M contract before the season; converted $6.25M into signing bonus for cap room before season began)
2022: 29 attempts (18 rushing attempts) 0-1 record (Dak injured late in 1st game of season; converted $18.4M into signing bonus for cap room before season began)

Total Pass Attempts: 2,918 Total Rushing Attempts: 2,467 (In 2016 & 2017 Dallas had a more balanced offense: 949 passes to 973 rushes with a team record of 22-10 or a .688 winning percentage. From 2018-2022 it has been pass heavy: 1,969 passes to 1,494 rushes with a team record of 31-23 or a .574 winning percentage.

Dak's pass attempts jumped in 2019 (end of rookie contract) and 2020 (playing on franchise tag) but at no point has Dak's increased pass attempts led to a repeat of the success Dallas saw in 2016 when the team was a run first, pass to manage the game type of team. While some will say poor defenses played a role in Dak's increased pass attempts (and to a degree it may have), could money have played a bigger role in the need to pass more????

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Using Dak 1st starts as a very raw rookie compared to Rush 1st 3 games a guy who has been in the league 5 years is not exactly the same. Dak Rookie season he goes on to win Rookie of the year. I like Cooper and he is showing we can win with him filling in. I would also agree that Dak needs to play within himself instead of trying to take on the load of the offense. There is no doubt Dak is a better QB that is very capable of putting up a lot more points than Rush. I find Interesting that many here praising him today are the same people jumping down Jerry throat to get a real backup and Rush was a bum who had no business on the team. Personally I think you guy are wrong on both accounts, he is not a better than Dak and not a bum.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also playing teams like the Eagles 2nd string squad last years is how the Cowboys ended up with the overrated stat of #1 offense in the league. They had 2 games against a horrible Giants team that they beat up and one meaningless game where they hung 50 on the Eagles practice squad which was no more surprising that the US womens national soccer team losing to the U-14 boys team.
That pretty much sums it up:muttley:

stinkface

Reaction score
Last year shouldn't really count in some ways. We went 6 and 0 against 3 of the worst teams in the league as that was the nature of the NFC East last year. We won't go 6 and 0 this year in our division I'm thinking, although our defense is even better then last year and we were decent last year. IMO our 0 line will only get better baring injury.

starfan1

Reaction score
Funny to watch the Dak defenders come out and tear apart a thread that wasn't a knock on Dak but rather a comparison about how the Dallas offense is being structured for team success. Some will stop at nothing to tear apart any QB that isn't Dak leading this team, especially if that QB is helping the team win.

The fact of the matter is Dallas, under Dak, had its most success in 2016 (in part because Dak was a rookie and teams didn't have enough film to plan for him) when Dak had his lowest pass attempts (459) while seeing the team rush for 495 attempts.....and the TEAM finished with a 13-3 record that season.

By way of comparison 2021 was Dak's best statistical season which saw him throw 596 pass attempts and Dallas finishing 12-5 (Dak missed 1 game due to injury)....while Dallas had 464 rushing attempts.

Now say what you will but look at the pass attempts of Dak by year and the Dallas record:

2016: 459 attempts (495 rushing attempts) 13-3 record
2017: 490 attempts (478 rushing attempts) 9-7 record
2018: 526 attempts (439 rushing attempts) 10-6 record
2019: 596 attempts (449 rushing attempts) 8-8 record ****of note this was Dak's last year of his rookie contract****
2020: 222 attempts (124 rushing attempts) 2-3 record (Dak was under the franchise tag and got a season ending injury; he was on a pace to throw over 700 pass attempts)
2021: 596 attempts (464 rushing attempts) 11-5 record (Dak signed a 4-year/$160M contract before the season; converted $6.25M into signing bonus for cap room before season began)
2022: 29 attempts (18 rushing attempts) 0-1 record (Dak injured late in 1st game of season; converted $18.4M into signing bonus for cap room before season began)

Total Pass Attempts: 2,918 Total Rushing Attempts: 2,467 (In 2016 & 2017 Dallas had a more balanced offense: 949 passes to 973 rushes with a team record of 22-10 or a .688 winning percentage. From 2018-2022 it has been pass heavy: 1,969 passes to 1,494 rushes with a team record of 31-23 or a .574 winning percentage.

Dak's pass attempts jumped in 2019 (end of rookie contract) and 2020 (playing on franchise tag) but at no point has Dak's increased pass attempts led to a repeat of the success Dallas saw in 2016 when the team was a run first, pass to manage the game type of team. While some will say poor defenses played a role in Dak's increased pass attempts (and to a degree it may have), could money have played a bigger role in the need to pass more????

you dont see it because youre on the same side but this whole dak thing was started by a known Romoholic. I like the OP and it makes sense. This thread wasnt about daks salary but thats the direction it went. me personally i could give a crap who plays QB although i know who possess more talent. There are a whole lot of people looking at this 3-0 record and thinking we could be on to something dak can stay seated which is just dumb and it isnt going to happen.

The same type of responses were see here are in every thread and it always comes down to the saltiness of Romo fans who cannot stomach the fact that an average QB was given his job and took away another chance for him.( Nevermind his broken body) so its ABD because dak has failed just like he did.

Dak can be gone and they will still be upset. This constant back and forth will never end until someone comes in and takes this team to heights it hasnt been for 27 years and Im not sure it will be dak i have my doubts but i know it wont be Romo.

and I agree with you btw a more balanced approach is necessary whether dak had to throw more by design or because he got behind because of a crappy defense is unknown but he and every other QB performs better with more balance