Compensatory picks

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
theogt said:
The Patriots have had to release players because of cap room. Fortunately for them, they've been freakishly good at drafting/signing even more young talent. However, this does NOT affect my point. In fact it somewhat reinforces it. Most would say the "window is closing" for these teams.

All of that said, I would say that I think compensatory picks are a bit silly. Though they may be silly, they DO NOT AT ALL reward failure. That's an even more silly idea.

depends on how you're looking at it. i can see what everyone is saying and a few points made helped me better understand it, and i'll agree "rewarding failure" is merely 1 point of several, not an all encompassing point.

but if you can't or don't want to resign your own players, then don't. but that's where it should end.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
iceberg said:
but if you can't or don't want to resign your own players, then don't. but that's where it should end.
They don't reward picks for releasing players that you simply do not want to keep (i.e., Dallas releasing Glover).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt said:
They don't reward picks for releasing players that you simply do not want to keep (i.e., Dallas releasing Glover).
Dallas didn't draft Glover. There would be no "reward" anyway.

The bottom line is this measure is meant to accomplish one thing, and one thing only, to increase the odds of a parity driven league.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I dont really mind it... lets face it coaches and GM's are gonna miss on some players and they dont work out or are a bust or just dont fit... so instead of leaning out the teams... you get a 2nd opp to HIT on someone... whether the odds on getting someone are good or not - I dunno....

anyone know of any teams that have got a comp pick and hit it big or just hit it period?

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
iceberg said:
but why should we? just "because" it's cool?

From a purely "practical" standpoint, it sure would be. Suppose Ellis left as a FA this offseason and we were awarded a 2nd-round pick. We'd have a 1st, 2 2nd's, and a 3rd to spend in the draft and Manny Lawson + Donte Whitner + Greg Jennings + Rod Wright is a nicer haul than just Manny Lawson + Donte Whitner + Greg Jennings. I agree with you when you say that teams shouldn't get rewarded for mismanagement of their payroll, but if WE end up getting compensatory draft picks when we dump older higher-salaried no-longer-useful vets, then it's like having a garage sale where you've managed to get a $1 or $2 for that otherwise worthless Alanis Morrissette-I-shriek-and-call-it-music-CD your wife bought when she was younger and dumber. It's an accomplishment.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I understand. I was just using that as an example of a team releasing a good player because they wanted to and not because they had to.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
The reason for having compensatory draft picks is the same reason that teams with the worst records draft first and play a softer schedule the next year. It's all about parity and leveling the playing field.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt said:
I understand. I was just using that as an example of a team releasing a good player because they wanted to and not because they had to.
I admit, I don't like the concept of something for nothing.

We'll make no effort to keep said player, but give us something for not keeping him.

It doesn't make any difference to me that said player costthe teama Draft pick. If he has value, keep the value. If you determine he's no longer a viable option then move on without sticking your hand out for a donation.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man said:
The reason for having compensatory draft picks is the same reason that teams with the worst records draft first and play a softer schedule the next year. It's all about parity and leveling the playing field.
Exactly. I'm not a fan of parity. I much prefer hard work and study giving a team its just rewards.

xpistofer

Reaction score
iceberg said:
just seems like the kid who lost the race has the adult running around saying "oh, you came in 15th place - isn't that great!!! you're a winner!!!!!!

no, you came in 15th freaking place - you suck and get better if you wanna "win".

damn pc generational garbage spillover.

:lmao2:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
iceberg said:
i just don't see why owners should get a benefit when for whatever reason they choose to not keep their picks.

Because the owners make the rules. And it was a condition for giving the players unrestricted free agency.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hostile said:

It doesn't matter who drafts the player. You don't have to have drafted a player to get a comp pick for losing him.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
It doesn't matter who drafts the player. You don't have to have drafted a player to get a comp pick for losing him.

And since we cut him he wouldn't factor into comp equation anyway?

Correct?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
And since we cut him he wouldn't factor into comp equation anyway?

Correct?

Correct. That's what was said in the post Hostile replied to.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AdamJT13 said:
Because the owners make the rules. And it was a condition for giving the players unrestricted free agency.
Right.

Now I'm thinking the reasoning behind this has something to do with helping the fringe players as well. Maybe there's a guy on a team that could do with a different situation (say...like a Boiman or someone).

All things being equal, the team that had a player would be more inclined to let him go if there was an advantage to letting him go.

I'd say most of these comp picks are pretty low rounders so it's not like teams are getting first rounders for it. Knowing that compensation is coming can be a deciding factor in whether or not to bring a player back.

Greases the wheels for some players to get a fresh start by leaving a place where they may be buried on a depth chart.

It's not just owners who are rewarded here. It's the player who's given that new chance, which is probably something the NFLPA negotiated for.

GMs aren't surprised when a comp pick comes in. I'm sure they know what would be coming at the time a decision has to be made.

Also, there are no comp picks unless a particular player is picked up by another team...meaning that this other team sees value. Now the original team may see value as well, but then there's the potential value of that pick on the other hand.

If a pick is a "failure" then he's cut and out of football. Now compensation for just busting on a pick alone would be an improper reward.

I don't see this as rewarding failure as much as it's simply a part of the equation in the decision making involved with building a roster.

Rumor

Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
How is it hurting you so much? It gives more college players a chance to be drafted which is not a bad thing.

Hmmm...I like the others argument....But you do have a good point...