Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Did you read it? Megatron and Dez catches should have been ruled complete. Under the rule. Read the tweet man lol
MarcusRock used to deny (with 100% proof shown to him) just as much in the now defunct Official Cowboys Fan Forum. Some people never change.

Gator88

Reaction score
Everyone knows Dez intended to lunge for the line of gain but he did not execute and that's what did him in.
If Dez didn't lunge, then how did he land in a position where he was laying out with the ball extended past all of his body besides what he was reaching with? The only way you land in that position is after lunging.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Gene Steratore: "In our judgment he maintained possession but continued to fall and never had another act common to the game."
What's hilarious is that right after saying there was never another act common to the game, Steratore actually let it slip that he saw Dez reaching for the goal line. Which Blandino is on record as saying was an act common to the game that (prior to 2015) established a player as a runner.

"Although the receiver is possessing the football, he must maintain possession of that football throughout the entire process of the catch," Steratore said. "In our judgement he maintained possession but continued to fall and never had another act common to the game. We deemed that by our judgement to be the full process of the catch, and at the time he lands and the ball hits the ground, it comes loose as it hits the ground, which would make that incomplete; although he re-possesses it, it does contact the ground when he reaches so the repossession is irrelevant because it was ruled an incomplete pass when we had the ball hit the ground."

cowboyec

Reaction score
nice goin' goodell...you empty-suited,ill-prepared swamp hagg.

send'em to hell!!!!!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
nice goin' goodell...you empty-suited,ill-prepared swamp hagg.

send'em to hell!!!!!

What does Goodell have to do with it? The Competition Committee makes these decisions. Goodell simply selects the competition committee. Right now the members are:

• Rich McKay (chairman) – president, Atlanta Falcons
  • John Mara – owner, New York Giants
  • Stephen Jones – owner, Dallas Cowboys
  • Mark Murphy – president, Green Bay Packers
  • Ozzie Newsome – general manager, Baltimore Ravens
  • Mike Tomlin – head coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
  • John Elway – general manager, Denver Broncos
  • Sean Payton – head coach, New Orleans Saints

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hey, man. I get it. I was all over that "Ertz catch was just like Dez' play" thread and shot all this down already. Even the fact that people think those 2 plays were the same tells you something about the emotional mindset of people concerning this play.

The indisputable evidence was the ball hitting the ground which is death if the going to the ground rule applies. If the ball never touches the ground, then Dez could have bobbled that ball 10 times so long as he clutched it in the end. Everyone knows Dez intended to lunge for the line of gain but he did not execute and that's what did him in. He needed more solid footing on that final step and couldn't get it. Even your forum's "it was a catch" champion admitted it was a futile attempt.

The indisputable evidence has to be as Steratore says that Dez did not do an act common to the game after catching the ball. If he made a move common to the game, such as reaching for the goal line, then going to the ground doesn't matter. I disagree with you that Dez did not execute lunging for the goal line. Instead of tucking the ball he reached it out toward the goal line, which is why it came out. Because I disagree with you and millions of people disagree over this, including those who play the game and have coached the game, it is disputable evidence.

Again, if the ruling on the field had been that Dez had not caught the ball, then it would have been understandable if the officials did not overturn it for the same reason. As it was, because he caught the ball, took three steps, shifted the ball into one hand and reached out, changing it to a non-catch was disputable.

You are blaming people's emotions for disagreeing with you, but I don't get emotional over things like this. I get logical and look at the rules. The rules of the game favored the Cowboys in that situation because of the need for "indisputable evidence." The officials went against that mandate for replays.

kskboys

Reaction score
What does Goodell have to do with it? The Competition Committee makes these decisions. Goodell simply selects the competition committee. Right now the members are:

• Rich McKay (chairman) – president, Atlanta Falcons
  • John Mara – owner, New York Giants
  • Stephen Jones – owner, Dallas Cowboys
  • Mark Murphy – president, Green Bay Packers
  • Ozzie Newsome – general manager, Baltimore Ravens
  • Mike Tomlin – head coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
  • John Elway – general manager, Denver Broncos
  • Sean Payton – head coach, New Orleans Saints

Just silly hate for the boss stuff.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If the should have been ruled complete why would there be a need to relax the going to the ground requirement?
Because, as you've been told several times, the going to the ground requirement wasn't changed until after Dez's overturned catch. In 2014, a player didn't have to remain "upright long enough" to become a runner. An act common to the game made him a runner.

And that's probably what they'll go back to.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground.
If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground.
A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is
incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm just glad that they finally admit it. Almost worse that the ruling was Blandino's excuse-making for why it wasn't a catch.

The worst part was that they *overruled* the call on the field. "Indisputable visual evidence". Yeah, right.

gimmesix

Reaction score
What's hilarious is that right after saying there was never another act common to the game, Steratore actually let it slip that he saw Dez reaching for the goal line. Which Blandino is on record as saying was an act common to the game that (prior to 2015) established a player as a runner.

"Although the receiver is possessing the football, he must maintain possession of that football throughout the entire process of the catch," Steratore said. "In our judgement he maintained possession but continued to fall and never had another act common to the game. We deemed that by our judgement to be the full process of the catch, and at the time he lands and the ball hits the ground, it comes loose as it hits the ground, which would make that incomplete; although he re-possesses it, it does contact the ground when he reaches so the repossession is irrelevant because it was ruled an incomplete pass when we had the ball hit the ground."

Yes, they spun a web trying to explain it but only ended up catching themselves in it, which is what led to the language change in the rule.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The indisputable evidence has to be as Steratore says that Dez did not do an act common to the game after catching the ball. If he made a move common to the game, such as reaching for the goal line, then going to the ground doesn't matter.

And that is exactly what they say didn't happen, which is why going to the ground did matter and those sets of rules kick in.

I disagree with you that Dez did not execute lunging for the goal line. Instead of tucking the ball he reached it out toward the goal line, which is why it came out. Because I disagree with you and millions of people disagree over this, including those who play the game and have coached the game, it is disputable evidence.

So you say he didn't tuck, others say he did tuck. There's even dispute about what Dez even did or didn't do. All those people who disagree don't matter. You're talking about feelings. I'm talking about a black and white rule book. And when going to the ground kicks in, those rules apply and the ball can't hit the ground and come loose. Dez never got traction to push off and reach all the way out.

Again, if the ruling on the field had been that Dez had not caught the ball, then it would have been understandable if the officials did not overturn it for the same reason. As it was, because he caught the ball, took three steps, shifted the ball into one hand and reached out, changing it to a non-catch was disputable.

If you know about the going to the ground rule, you'll know that the number of steps one takes is irrelevant. Why is that? It is because the going to the ground requirement takes precedence over those things. As I said, I debated this in the other thread but here is a quick tutorial to prove what I'm saying. The "it was a catch" crowd loved throwing around these case plays as "proof" that one could complete the catch process while falling and here's one of them. You tell me if this is somewhat similar to the Dez play.

A.R. 8.12 GOING TO THE GROUND—COMPLETE PASS
First-and-10-on B25. A1 throws a pass to A2 who controls the ball and gets one foot down before he is contacted
by B1. He goes to the ground as a result of the contact, gets his second foot down, and with the ball in his right
arm, he braces himself at the three-yard line with his left hand and simultaneously lunges forward toward the
goal line. When he lands in the end zone, the ball comes out.
Ruling: Touchdown Team A. Kickoff A35. The pass is complete. When the receiver hits the ground in the end
zone, it is the result of lunging forward after bracing himself at the three-yard line and is not part of the process of
the catch. Since the ball crossed the goal line, it is a touchdown. If the ball is short of the goal line, it is a catch,
and A2 is down by contact.​

So note here that bracing and lunging is what gets this receiver a completed pass. Also in the play, notice that the receiver catches the ball and then moves the ball to his left hand, then braces and lunges. Why isn't the act of moving the ball that "act common to the game" that makes this a completed pass? Yet, that act is ignored even though it would be a much shorter route to saying it was a completed pass. What saves this player from the going to the ground rule is that he does something to show that he's doing something other than just falling to the ground (the lunge). This is why in Blandino's explanation, he says that Dez' momentum carried him to the ground all "in one motion." If Dez had solid footing, he could have executed that lunge. He just didn't here. If you compare what Dez did to other players who have executed lunges, Dez' attempt looks nothing like theirs if you're being honest. This board's "it was a catch" champion even says so. Like Blandino said, where do you draw the line? Then people who shrug their shoulders on the way to the ground have a catch too if the ball comes loose.

You are blaming people's emotions for disagreeing with you, but I don't get emotional over things like this. I get logical and look at the rules. The rules of the game favored the Cowboys in that situation because of the need for "indisputable evidence." The officials went against that mandate for replays.

I told you what the indisputable evidence was by the rules but you don't want to accept it. That's your right and choice.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Because, as you've been told several times, the going to the ground requirement wasn't changed until after Dez's overturned catch. In 2014, a player didn't have to remain "upright long enough" to become a runner. An act common to the game made him a runner.

And that's probably what they'll go back to.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground.
If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground.
A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is
incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

You think they'll go back to that? I think they want to remove the going to the ground part of it. That would open up a whole other can of worms, but it would take out any necessity for a football move, clearly becoming a runner, etc. If you demonstrate that you have control of the ball before you go to the ground, then it's a catch because the ground doesn't matter.

Frankly, I think there needs to be some kind of time element to it to keep balls swatted out or dropped immediately after possession from being a catch and fumble. Time is something that can be quantified easily, limiting the judgment aspect of the call.