Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Again, your's is all based on Blandino's words. You know the guy so bad at his job he no longer has it.

Blandino was explaining the rules, not establishing them. Do the rules back what he said? You can dislike his style of explaining all you want. Who fact checked him in the press? This was a huge controversy so if Blandino was lying, it'd be all over news outlets somewhere, right? Where is your support for that?

blindzebra

Reaction score
You have to laugh because you can't answer the question about support for your ruse. This is why you and percy just keep repeating it and he even edits out my asking it in his replies to my posts to continue his story.

Is there support for your story of rules changing or not?
Posted it, anyone with an IQ bigger than their shoe size can see it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Why isn't the magical lunge in the rule book? Either they screwed up the rules or they screwed up the case book. Still does not answer why 8.12 contradicts upright long enough.

"Upright long enough" is a descriptor of a judgment call by the official just like "If a player goes to the ground .." was a judgment call prior to that language insertion. 8.12 doesn't contradict anything. If you can execute a lunge you were "upright long enough" to do so and get credit for meeting the time requirement in part (c) of the rule to escape going to the ground. Am I really having to teach you this? Didn't you claim to be an actual ref somewhere?

blindzebra

Reaction score
Blandino was explaining the rules, not establishing them. Do the rules back what he said? You can dislike his style of explaining all you want. Who fact checked him in the press? This was a huge controversy so if Blandino was lying, it'd be all over news outlets somewhere, right? Where is your support for that?
He enforced the overturn. He headed the competition committee to write the rules. He did a lot more than just explained them.

These news reports spend half their time writing about twitter sources, you think any of these lazy hacks has ever even looked at a rule book much less took the time to read it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Posted it, anyone with an IQ bigger than their shoe size can see it.

I asked for support for your story you keep repeating, not the story itself. Nice creativeness and all but who else out there says, "Yes, that's true."

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He enforced the overturn. He headed the competition committee to write the rules. He did a lot more than just explained them.

These news reports spend half their time writing about twitter sources, you think any of these lazy hacks has ever even looked at a rule book much less took the time to read it.

They took time to read the rules re-write and give opinions, didn't they?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...anges-and-points-of-emphasis-to-watch-in-2015
"Let's be clear. The rule that disallowed an apparent catch by Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in the NFC divisional playoffs, and another by Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson in 2009, remains unchanged in substance. The NFL did modify its wording, however, in hopes of making the rule make more sense to players, fans and media members in cases where a player is falling while in the process of making a catch."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...hange-catch-rule-after-dez-bryant-controversy
"To put it bluntly, the rule itself has not changed."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rule-and-it-might-actually-be-more-confusing/
"The interesting part here is that Dez Bryant's no-catch, the thing that sparked the rule change, would still be a no-catch under the new rule."

blindzebra

Reaction score
"Upright long enough" is a descriptor of a judgment call by the official just like "If a player goes to the ground .." was a judgment call prior to that language insertion. 8.12 doesn't contradict anything. If you can execute a lunge you were "upright long enough" to do so and get credit for meeting the time requirement in part (c) of the rule to escape going to the ground. Am I really having to teach you this? Didn't you claim to be an actual ref somewhere?
You cannot become a runner after you start going to the ground under the 2015 rules, the case plays clearly state that the player went to the ground BEFORE the lunge. In the case play he never established himself as a runner before the lunge... I can believe I am having to explain this to you.

blindzebra

Reaction score
They took time to read the rules re-write and give opinions, didn't they?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...anges-and-points-of-emphasis-to-watch-in-2015
"Let's be clear. The rule that disallowed an apparent catch by Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in the NFC divisional playoffs, and another by Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson in 2009, remains unchanged in substance. The NFL did modify its wording, however, in hopes of making the rule make more sense to players, fans and media members in cases where a player is falling while in the process of making a catch."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...hange-catch-rule-after-dez-bryant-controversy
"To put it bluntly, the rule itself has not changed."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rule-and-it-might-actually-be-more-confusing/
"The interesting part here is that Dez Bryant's no-catch, the thing that sparked the rule change, would still be a no-catch under the new rule."
Did they compare the re-write to the past rules and case plays? Sure they did.:rolleyes:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You cannot become a runner after you start going to the ground under the 2015 rules, the case plays clearly state that the player went to the ground BEFORE the lunge. In the case play he never established himself as a runner before the lunge... I can believe I am having to explain this to you.

Then why is case play A.R. 8.12 in the 2014 and 2015 rule book?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure they were. They had identical body positions up until they landed. When they landed both turned to the left, yet Shields continued in a straight line, while Dez went from facing forward toward the goal line to way left for the pylon.

Dez started his jump about the 10 yards line. Sheilds kept going and was ahead of Dez when he started his jump about the 7 yard line. That alone negates any argument that they did everything identically.

In addition, Sheilds, being ahead, was reaching back for the ball, and Dez, being behind because he started his jump 3 yards sooner, was reaching forward for the ball. The way they each reached for the ball also negates any argument that they did things identically.

Then, when they came down, Dez landed on his left foot, and Shields landed on his right, which also affects body position and the direction of the fall.

And Dez jumped much higher than Sheilds, probably at least a foot, and his legs were flailing and not coming down in a coordinated manner, where's Shields feet stayed at pretty much the same place in relation to each other as he jumped and came down, with his second foot hiting the ground in that same position just an instant after the first. In short, Dez stumbled on his path to the ground with his legs flailing, and Sheilds feet stayed in the same position as he jumped, landed and fell.

And, again, there is no dramatic difference in the direction they fell anyway. A slight angle of the foot as it hit the ground, or a give of the leg can easily have that much effect. And, of course, people don't necessarily stumble in a straight line.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Since we are rehashing everything:

Another thing these momentum to the ground people need to look at is what happens to Shields. As they jumped their bodies are parallel to the side line with Shield slightly in front. as they land Shields falls in a straight line while Dez goes from several feet outside the yard marks but lands inside the one yard line has mark. Both landed and turned, but only Dez moved closer to the side line. If he is falling based on just momentum why did his fall take a drastic turn? Because he is trying to extend for the pylon.

I think it's pretty clear there that Dez was diving for the end zone at the end of the play based on how he pushes off with his left foot on his last step. His legs go up in the air because of the effort. He was falling, but he dove, put the ball in his left hand and reached out with it.

The divot he made in the field is another indication of this.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Are you saying the press is not up to speed on the case plays?

Here's an article in 2015 that quotes A.R. 8.12 in talking about the going to the ground rule.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/10/01/pelissero-catch-rule-tyler-eifert/73166492/
Congrats, your boy just contradicted himself again.

So we are to believe that putting an arm down after going to the ground begins makes you a runner? But turning, taking a step, tucking the ball, putting a hand down, pushing off his left leg and reaching didn't?

I rest my case.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Congrats, your boy just contradicted himself again.

So we are to believe that putting an arm down after going to the ground begins makes you a runner? But turning, taking a step, tucking the ball, putting a hand down, pushing off his left leg and reaching didn't?

I rest my case.

LOL. What case are you resting? He's describing the case play ruling from 8.12. Wow. I know you don't like Blandino but now you're disliking him for reciting a case play ruling already in existence.

By the way, I didn't forget. Why is case play A.R. 8.12 in the 2014 and 2015 rule book if you couldn't complete a catch after starting to go to the ground? I think you missed that post of mine from above.

blindzebra

Reaction score
LOL. What case are you resting? He's describing the case play ruling from 8.12. Wow. I know you don't like Blandino but now you're disliking him for reciting a case play ruling already in existence.

By the way, I didn't forget. Why is case play A.R. 8.12 in the 2014 and 2015 rule book if you couldn't complete a catch after starting to go to the ground? I think you missed that post of mine from above.
What was your stance at the beginning of these threads? That a football move cannot end going to the ground. That Item 1 trumps everything. My stance from day 1 was that an act common to the game ends Item 1 at any time before contact with the ground. You have adopted the case book plays, now you boy Blandino used it as well.

You don't see the significance of that? We have argued this for years and my stance never changed, yours did. You went from blowing off the case plays to attempting to use them yourself. The case plays that show an act common to the game ends Item 1...you know the point Percy and others along with me have been saying all along.

The second you embraced 8.12 you lost the argument.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
What was your stance at the beginning of these threads? That a football move cannot end going to the ground. That Item 1 trumps everything. My stance from day 1 was that an act common to the game ends Item 1 at any time before contact with the ground. You have adopted the case book plays, now you boy Blandino used it as well.

You don't see the significance of that? We have argued this for years and my stance never changed, yours did. You went from blowing off the case plays to attempting to use them yourself. The case plays that show an act common to the game ends Item 1...you know the point Percy and others along with me have been saying all along.

The second you embraced 8.12 you lost the argument.

LOL. Talk about evasive maneuvers. I didn't see an answer regarding 8.12 being in the 2014 and 2015 rule books. You care to explain that? Here, let me review:

Then why is case play A.R. 8.12 in the 2014 and 2015 rule book?

So what's your answer?