Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I’m just going by what I’ve seen and by what Mike Pereira said. If anyone has a video of a Raiders receiver having the same thing happen I would love to see it and see what year it was. The Johnson play made big news because everyone was shocked that the catch was overturned. First time I had ever seen anything like that and couldn’t believe a rule like that existed.

And watch the whole thing. There is a perfect example that Pereira talks about where a WR gets smashed at the same time he gets two feet down and it's a fumble. Exactly why they put back in become a runner.

Reactions: G2

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

First time I’ve seen that play. That’s exactly like the plays we’ve seen with Johnson and Dez. What a crazy rule. The league appears to be ready to do something about it. That play should add a new element to these debates.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do so many like to torture yourselves?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
No. That's what the conspiracy theorists say happened. But maybe you meant that.

"Time enough" to commit an act was replaced with "clearly become a runner" which likewise can be demonstrated with an act or time so nothing changed there. "Upright long enough" is just a descriptor for when someone is considered to be going to the ground. That descriptor didn't exist before so they attempted to clarify what refs were using to judge slapping the going to the ground tag on someone.
Yes.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
First time I’ve seen that play. That’s exactly like the plays we’ve seen with Johnson and Dez. What a crazy rule. The league appears to be ready to do something about it. That play should add a new element to these debates.
It should have no bearing. The rules were changed 2 years later to include become a runner. When that play happened they did not have to make an act common or become a runner.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It should have no bearing. The rules were changed 2 years later to include become a runner. When that play happened they did not have to make an act common or become a runner.

They’ll get rid of the “going to the ground” part of the rule. It’s ridiculous! Another play where the receiver was going up to make the catch. Do you know if that was a regular season or preseason game? Never seen the refs dressed in that color scheme.

blindzebra

Reaction score
No. That's what the conspiracy theorists say happened. But maybe you meant that.

"Time enough" to commit an act was replaced with "clearly become a runner" which likewise can be demonstrated with an act or time so nothing changed there. "Upright long enough" is just a descriptor for when someone is considered to be going to the ground. That descriptor didn't exist before so they attempted to clarify what refs were using to judge slapping the going to the ground tag on someone.
Did you read what you wrote? The removed act common to the game, and added upright long enough, that you just said didn't exist before, but it didn't change?:huh:

BlindFaith

Reaction score
They’ll get rid of the “going to the ground” part of the rule. It’s ridiculous! Another play where the receiver was going up to make the catch. Do you know if that was a regular season or preseason game? Never seen the refs dressed in that color scheme.
Regular season. Throwback for the refs

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Tbh, I went from thinking the pass was incomplete when I first saw it in real time to thinking the overturn was a terrible call—all thanks to the kinds of arguments and research seen in this thread.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Did you read what you wrote? The removed act common to the game, and added upright long enough, that you just said didn't exist before, but it didn't change?:huh:

We're talking rule essence. That's beyond the grasp of people who solely operate in the world of literal.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Tbh, I went from thinking the pass was incomplete when I first saw it in real time to thinking the overturn was a terrible call—all thanks to the kinds of arguments and research seen in this thread.
Glad to know there are open-minded and level headed posters on the forum.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Maybe. That's about the only thing they haven't tried yet. But then at what point do you rule it a catch. Many scenarios they have to think about.