Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Glad to know there are open-minded and level headed posters on the forum.
Yeah, too bad Stephen Jones or Pereira or any NFL officials aren't on the forum. Then at least Pereira himself could tell you to your face you lied about what he said.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The rule is pretty easy to fix. Control, two feet, football move. They can even keep going to the ground, if they take away the subjective application like they used in the Dez play.

Item 1 should be used in the end zone, players going OOB, and players diving to make a catch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Maybe. That's about the only thing they haven't tried yet. But then at what point do you rule it a catch. Many scenarios they have to think about.

You simply look for control. I know it’s not that simple but with all the camera angles if you can’t see clear control you wave the play off. It’s pretty obvious on those three plays we’ve seen that the receivers clearly caught the football but the contact of the ground caused the ball to come loose and overturn the calls. Remove “going to the ground” from the equation and all three are completed passes, two of which would have been TDs.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Tbh, I went from thinking the pass was incomplete when I first saw it in real time to thinking the overturn was a terrible call—all thanks to the kinds of arguments and research seen in this thread.
There are two on this page.;)

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The rule is pretty easy to fix. Control, two feet, football move. They can even keep going to the ground, if they take away the subjective application like they used in the Dez play.

Item 1 should be used in the end zone, players going OOB, and players diving to make a catch.
So diving in this case is different than going to the ground?

Define diving.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
You simply look for control. I know it’s not that simple but with all the camera angles if you can’t see clear control you wave the play off. It’s pretty obvious on those three plays we’ve seen that the receivers clearly caught the football but the contact of the ground caused the ball to come loose and overturn the calls. Remove “going to the ground” from the equation and all three are completed passes, two of which would have been TDs.
Let's take the Dez play. Where would you like to see it be deemed a catch? Any action after two feet down? So as soon as that third foot touches, it's a catch? So if a defender hits him right as that third foot comes down and the ball comes out, it's a fumble. You ok with that?

blindzebra

Reaction score
So diving in this case is different than going to the ground?

Define diving.
Leaving the ground horizontally to catch a pass. A self-imposed going to the ground. How they ruled Dez was they claimed nothing he did was not falling related, which was subjective, and frankly incorrect. So Item 1 should only apply to players that can't complete part c of 8.1.3, and that is going OOB, the end zone, and a player diving who can realistically complete a, and can maybe drag his feet, but would never be able to complete c. In the field of play control, two feet, and anything else equals a catch.

That does exactly what the NFL wants to make the Dez and James plays catches, well both would be based on the above. And obviously many think the 2014 rule said basically the same thing minus the diving thing.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Let's take the Dez play. Where would you like to see it be deemed a catch? Any action after two feet down? So as soon as that third foot touches, it's a catch? So if a defender hits him right as that third foot comes down and the ball comes out, it's a fumble. You ok with that?
Good play by the defense. How is it different than saying a NE player knocked it loose from Ertz?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Once Dez brought the ball down to his shoulders it was a catch and that’s where I would like to see it ruled a catch when there’s clear control. I’m not interested in feet being down, steps or football moves, I’m looking strictly for control of the football and control can be achieved when a receiver is still in the air. If it looks like a catch rule it a catch. If you can’t determine full control on replay you simply wave it off.

The current rule overturns obvious catches and that’s what’s causing all the controversy. There’s no debating that these receivers caught the football, the debate is why were the catches overturned. This is what’s confusing everyone resulting in all this controversy. They made the entire catch process too complicated. They’ve made something that’s not that difficult to determine very difficult and it’s turning fans off.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Copy and paste Pete at it again. You did not correct a damn thing, per usual you are misinterpreting the rule.

Riiiiiiiight. So in your world, a player going to the ground in the case plays doesn't even have to lunge even though the case plays say the act of lunging gives them credit for a catch. Makes sense (nowhere on this planet).

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Wow................51 pages on if Dez caught it:facepalm:

A. What the hell does it matter 4 years later, that was 2014 and its now 2018. Unless we get to replay the game, its means jack now.

B. Nobody from the NFL has admitted the play was officiated incorrectly, they have said the rule is going to be changed so plays like Dez and Clavin Johnson's, and I suspect Jesse James as well, will all be ruled complete going forward. BIG DIFFERENCE

blindzebra

Reaction score
Riiiiiiiight. So in your world, a player going to the ground in the case plays doesn't even have to lunge even though the case plays say the act of lunging gives them credit for a catch. Makes sense (nowhere on this planet).
ACT COMMON TO THE GAME.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score

A. What the hell does it matter 4 years later, that was 2014 and its now 2018. Unless we get to replay the game, its means jack now.

B. Nobody from the NFL has admitted the play was officiated incorrectly, they have said the rule is going to be changed so plays like Dez and Clavin Johnson's, and I suspect Jesse James as well, will all be ruled complete going forward. BIG DIFFERENCE

It matters because it was a watershed moment. The success of the NFL is, more than anything, contingent on images. What do we see before the NFL shield comes up? The Catch. It’s the displays of athletic prowess that fans enjoying seeing and reliving over and over again, hence the success of NFL Films and highlight shows. People love rewatching game-winning catches and hard hits.

The Dez Bryant Catch was the kind of play destined to live on through NFL Films...until it was overturned. Fans were robbed of something momentous. And if Aaron Rodgers had taken Green Bay down the field right after for the win, fans were robbed of a stirring comeback. They got neither and a whole lot of drama-killing rule ambiguity.

The NFL is built on images. One was taken away due to an absurd interpretation of an equally absurdly written rule. Without those images, the league is nothing. It’s no coincidence ratings have declined in the years following the Dez overturn. I used to watch all things NFL. Not so anymore. Now, I find myself paying less attention to Cowboys games. My increasing disinterest began that January.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Give one example of any hypothetical situation we posed. Or one example where we didn't post a fully quoted explanation or a direct link. Or any example of us posting the rules out of context.

Another example of "I know you are, but what am I?"

Every post you guys have made of the rules is quoting them out of context or applying some absurd meaning.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Once Dez brought the ball down to his shoulders it was a catch and that’s where I would like to see it ruled a catch when there’s clear control. I’m not interested in feet being down, steps or football moves, I’m looking strictly for control of the football and control can be achieved when a receiver is still in the air. If it looks like a catch rule it a catch. If you can’t determine full control on replay you simply wave it off.

The current rule overturns obvious catches and that’s what’s causing all the controversy. There’s no debating that these receivers caught the football, the debate is why were the catches overturned. This is what’s confusing everyone resulting in all this controversy. They made the entire catch process too complicated. They’ve made something that’s not that difficult to determine very difficult and it’s turning fans off.
So just possession? No feet.

What about player's going out of bounds? Same thing? So they could jump out of bounds and catch it, I guess before they hit the ground. Or do you have special rules for that?

And is it immediately when they possess it or as you said, bring it to his shoulders? So a time element?

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
It matters because it was a watershed moment. The success of the NFL is, more than anything, contingent on images. What do we see before the NFL shield comes up? The Catch. It’s the displays of athletic prowess that fans enjoying seeing and reliving over and over again, hence the success of NFL Films and highlight shows. People love rewatching game-winning catches and hard hits.

The Dez Bryant Catch was the kind of play destined to live on through NFL Films...until it was overturned. Fans were robbed of something momentous. And if Aaron Rodgers had taken Green Bay down the field right after for the win, fans were robbed of a stirring comeback. They got neither and a whole lot of drama-killing rule ambiguity.

The NFL is built on images. One was taken away due to an absurd interpretation of an equally absurdly written rule. Without those images, the league is nothing. It’s no coincidence ratings have declined in the years following the Dez overturn. I used to watch all things NFL. Not so anymore. Now, I find myself paying less attention to Cowboys games. My increasing disinterest began that January.
:hammer:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

This is exactly the case. Mara said they agreed it should be a catch. And that changing the language to make it a catch is what they want to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

And if people take off their jaded glasses and read what Mara said, you'd understand nothing in his comment even hinted at the event with Dez was a catch then. The Competition Committee did not agree it was a catch and mis-called by the refs. They agreed it should be a catch going forward.

Great Post Beast...as usual.