Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Show me where I posted a rule that reads "If you are falling while in the act of completing the process you must maintain possession."
Replace falling with going to the ground. It's the same thing.

If you are falling you end up on the ground right?

I mean unless you somehow interrupt your fall...oh wait. Nah, we are making good progress on just learning the actual rules.

I'm sure a wave of the other stuff will be coming in shortly to try and distract.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Methinks they would have said so at the time.
Well they did. I and several others understand it. More importantly, the officials understood it.

And remember the hoopla when the 2015 rules came out? Everyone was hoping they would be redone to make the play a catch. But nope, just a rule clarification. And everyone was bummed.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
In 2014, if you reached while falling, you ended up going to the ground as a runner.
Reached while in the act of catching a pass?

Or were they already a runner who just dove and reached.

If it's the first, can you find an example so I can see what you're talking about?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I just wonder when you guys are going to go back to the film and watch the play? Then acknowledge Shield's tripped Dez at the very same time Dez reached out with his left foot, causing the going to the ground, which triggered the requirement to control the ball all through the process?

I see a lot of rule arguing, but all the things being argued ignores the one factor that supersedes all this he said she said rule debate.

Of course actually entertaining that notion of contact does scuttle one's rule book position. So never mind. Have fun.

I don't think anyone debates Shields did that except non-catch people.

The problem is item 1 doesn't come into play unless the player lands prior to completing the process. If anything, prior rulings would say Shields causing Dez to go to the ground after control and two feet would be a catch, even without a move.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Show me ONE quote from before 2015 where Blandino says something like, "if a player starts to fall while in the act of making a catch then he must maintain possession when he hits the ground."
Again. Use going to the ground. Same thing.

Unless there is some reason to debate that. I think we already did actually.

And Blandino clearly said in all his explanations that Dez was going to the ground. As well as everyone else.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Reached while in the act of catching a pass?
In his 2013 NFL Total Access segment, "Explaining the Calvin Johnson Rule."

What Blandino would have said, if the reach didn't matter:
"Item 1 is an exception to the catch process, in that it involves a different standard for becoming a runner. A player going to the ground can't perform just ANY act and become a runner. You must have control, two feet down, and then remain upright long enough. If you can perform all three parts in that order, you have a catch. If not, and you're going to the ground, you must control the ball when you hit the ground. Watch what happens when Calvin hits the ground. The ball comes loose. He did not remain upright long enough, so this is all one process. This is an incomplete pass."

What Blandino actually said:
"We've worked really hard to educate people in terms of the catch process...The process of the catch is a three-part process: control, two feet down, and then have the ball long enough to perform an act common to the game. If you can perform all three parts in that order, you have a catch. If not, and you're going to the ground, you must control the ball when you hit the ground. Watch what happens when Calvin hits the ground. The ball comes loose. He did not have both feet down prior to reaching for the goal line, so this is all one process. This is an incomplete pass."

On 1/11/15 Game Day Final, when asked whether Bryant's reach for the goal line could be considered an act common to the game (football move).

"Football moves don't matter when going to the ground, so in order for him to be upright long enough it needs to be more obvious than that -- putting his arm down to brace himself, then lunging for the goal line. This is all part of his momentum in going to the ground and he lost the ball when he hit the ground."

"We looked at that aspect of it and in order for it to be a football move, it needs to be more obvious than that -- reaching the ball out with two hands, extending it for the goal line. This is all part of his momentum in going to the ground and he lost the ball when he hit the ground."

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Again. Use going to the ground. Same thing.
So Item 2 is about a player who is out of bounds and starts to fall?

Item 2: Sideline Catches
If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent) in the process of making a catch at the sideline, he must maintain
complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, or the pass is incomplete.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
In his 2013 NFL Total Access segment, "Explaining the Calvin Johnson Rule."

"Item 1 is an exception to the catch process, in that it involves a different standard for becoming a runner. A player going to the ground can't perform just ANY act and become a runner. You must have control, two feet down, and then remain upright long enough. If you can perform all three parts in that order, you have a catch. If not, and you're going to the ground, you must control the ball when you hit the ground. Watch what happens when Calvin hits the ground. The ball comes loose. He did not remain upright long enough, so this is all one process. This is an incomplete pass."

"We've worked really hard to educate people in terms of the catch process...The process of the catch is a three-part process: control, two feet down, and then have the ball long enough to perform an act common to the game. If you can perform all three parts in that order, you have a catch. If not, and you're going to the ground, you must control the ball when you hit the ground. Watch what happens when Calvin hits the ground. The ball comes loose. He did not have both feet down prior to reaching for the goal line, so this is all one process. This is an incomplete pass."

On 1/11/15 Game Day Final, when asked whether Bryant's reach for the goal line could be considered an act common to the game (football move).

"Football moves don't matter when going to the ground, so in order for him to be upright long enough it needs to be more obvious than that -- putting his arm down to brace himself, then lunging for the goal line. This is all part of his momentum in going to the ground and he lost the ball when he hit the ground."

"We looked at that aspect of it and in order for it to be a football move, it needs to be more obvious than that -- reaching the ball out with two hands, extending it for the goal line. This is all part of his momentum in going to the ground and he lost the ball when he hit the ground."
First, thanks again for going back to 2013
But anyway, provide what he did say and then what you think he should have said. For all parts.

And thirdly, I am not ever going to be able to defend what he did or did not say. Or what he did or did not mean. I have only tried to explain what I think he meant and show how the rule supports that.

He has said many things. And I admit, there are times when I totally see how you can apply that towards what you are trying to support.

But he did finally start getting the Dez call explained correctly at least.

My suggestion would be to tweet him directly. It's almost too much to just defend the rule book as it was let alone defend Blandinos incomplete explanations.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't think anyone debates Shields did that except non-catch people.

The problem is item 1 doesn't come into play unless the player lands prior to completing the process. If anything, prior rulings would say Shields causing Dez to go to the ground after control and two feet would be a catch, even without a move.
This is correct.

"Is it a catch? The referee will have to make the determination, did the receiver have both feet down prior to him getting contacted, which sent him to the ground," Blandino said during his weekly segment on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access." "If that's the case, then he doesn't have to hold onto it when he hits the ground. So you're going to see control. Just as the second foot comes down, there's going to be contact, then he goes to the ground. The referee determined that this was not part of the process. He'd completed the catch process, and therefore did not have to hold onto the football."

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This is correct.

"Is it a catch? The referee will have to make the determination, did the receiver have both feet down prior to him getting contacted, which sent him to the ground," Blandino said during his weekly segment on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access." "If that's the case, then he doesn't have to hold onto it when he hits the ground. So you're going to see control. Just as the second foot comes down, there's going to be contact, then he goes to the ground. The referee determined that this was not part of the process. He'd completed the catch process, and therefore did not have to hold onto the football."

Yes, that was a catch. He was not going to the ground until he got pushed. But like he said, it could go either way.

The question is did he make a football move or have time to do so before he got shoved?

Per the letter of the rule, I don't think he did. But that's a judgment call.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Got to love how he can't explain rules and yet you believe he can apply them correctly.
There are many, many highly intelligent people that can't communicate things very well.

Even in the example Percy just posted, I would have explained it differently. He doesn't even mention what the act was that justified the decision. He just says got two feet down and that it was boarderline.

I'm just glad he's gone. I haven't heard much from the new guy.

blindzebra

Reaction score
There are many, many highly intelligent people that can't communicate things very well.

Even in the example Percy just posted, I would have explained it differently. He doesn't even mention what the act was that justified the decision. He just says got two feet down and that it was boarderline.

I'm just glad he's gone. I haven't heard much from the new guy.
The guy was a stand up comic and is now on TV covering college football. Want to try again?