Complaining about players and coaches

plymkr

Reaction score
Explain to me what Jerry is doing that is causing the team to lose? He isn’t involved in day to day activities anymore. He just shows up around the time he needs to approve (not make) big decisions like firing Jason or approving the trade for Cooper. He’s the figurehead CEO you see at board meetings and special times of the year in a normal business.

the roster turnover was around 40 percent this year I believe.

the coaches are all new.

Jerry wasn’t even allowed to be around the team for 6 months during the lockdown.

What does Jerry have to do with Zeke fumbling 4 times on something he’s learned since pop Warner? Also something he’s never done to this extent in his career.

What does Jerry have to do with the OL all getting hurt, at the same rate half the other teams are also having injuries?

What does Jerry have to do with Worley not executing a basic Cover 3 assignment?

I doubt Worley, some random FA Jerry had probably never heard of before they signed him, is telling him it’s okay to not listen to the new staff or that he doesn’t need to watch film.

If you want to blame the FO, go after pro personnel.

Yes the structure here in Dallas is different. The GM job is basically 2 separate people. McClay does player personnel work and Stephen does contracts and probably is the one who decided to hire McCarthy based on how we only heard from Stephen in the offseason and McCarthy was anything but a splashy hire.

Stephen has a flaw of trying to play too much hardball and being like the Patriots. But he’s always been that way. He got into a fight with Jerry when Jerry signed Deion.

Ultimately the on field results are the problems of the players first and foremost and the staff second. Front office is third.
To answer your questions of what did Jerry do to cause injuries, fumbles, missed assignments, etc is Jerry has created and enabled a culture in the organization of no accountability. No matter how bad they perform they will not be held accountable. So Zeke can fumble twice in a game and Jerry will still have his back. The coaches can be underprepared and Jerry will publicly endorse them. That's what Jerry is doing to cause the on the field issues. If the CEO allows poor work performance then what incentive does an employee have to work harder? Jerry is relying on the players having personal pride in their performance. I said this in another thread but Jerry is an old school owner that can't adjust to the new school NFL.

Jerry doesn't understand that someone like Jaylon Smith would rather have 20,000 likes on an Instagram post then winning a football game. He doesn't understand how players care more about the social media stats than their football stats.

I bet if Jerry put it in each players contract that if the Cowboys lose the game then no player is allowed to post on social media until they win a game or be subject to fine or suspension. I bet the DLaw's and Jaylon Smith's of the team would play much harder and with more passion than they do now. That would hurt the players the most. Take away their attention. Then we'd see real passion and effort out of some players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Week after week, year after year it's "what if we drafted this player?" or "what if we hired this coach?", which apparently pacifies some folks. That, or they're oblivious to the real problem.

How many (insert several cuss words here) decades of failure does it take for everyone, yes everyone, to acknowledge the real problem? It's not the players, it's not the coaches, it's the old fool owner and his family-run enterprise. They can screw up from now until the end of time and they'll still have their jobs. Win? Lose? Who cares? Collect your millions.

All of this chatter about whether the chaise lounge should be against the rail or not is nonsense.
You started this thread to talk about chaise lounges, didnt you

Hadenough

Reaction score
Week after week, year after year it's "what if we drafted this player?" or "what if we hired this coach?", which apparently pacifies some folks. That, or they're oblivious to the real problem.

How many (insert several cuss words here) decades of failure does it take for everyone, yes everyone, to acknowledge the real problem? It's not the players, it's not the coaches, it's the old fool owner and his family-run enterprise. They can screw up from now until the end of time and they'll still have their jobs. Win? Lose? Who cares? Collect your millions.

All of this chatter about whether the chaise lounge should be against the rail or not is nonsense.
Yes we know Jerry is the problem and we also know thats never gonna change. So the next thing to look at is this team needs a generational talent at the QB postion to increase the chances of over coming a dysfunctional organization. A solid QB isnt good enough because he needs too many first round picks on offense to make it work. The problem with Prescott is his inept play against the better teams is being masked by the defense taking the blame for everything. This team needs a real head coach that has complete control of hiring and firing his own staff. If you have a real talent at the QB position you can focus more on hiring an excellent defensive coach with a decent offensive coordinator and start drafting real men for the Dline and LB position. This team doesnt have one nasty player on defense. It has a whole lot of vanilla guys just like the QB.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
To answer your questions of what did Jerry do to cause injuries, fumbles, missed assignments, etc is Jerry has created and enabled a culture in the organization of no accountability. No matter how bad they perform they will not be held accountable. So Zeke can fumble twice in a game and Jerry will still have his back. The coaches can be underprepared and Jerry will publicly endorse them. That's what Jerry is doing to cause the on the field issues. If the CEO allows poor work performance then what incentive does an employee have to work harder? Jerry is relying on the players having personal pride in their performance. I said this in another thread but Jerry is an old school owner that can't adjust to the new school NFL.

Jerry doesn't understand that someone like Jaylon Smith would rather have 20,000 likes on an Instagram post then winning a football game. He doesn't understand how players care more about the social media stats than their football stats.

I bet if Jerry put it in each players contract that if the Cowboys lose the game then no player is allowed to post on social media until they win a game or be subject to fine or suspension. I bet the DLaw's and Jaylon Smith's of the team would play much harder and with more passion than they do now. That would hurt the players the most. Take away their attention. Then we'd see real passion and effort out of some players.
Those are generalities. So right after Jerry approves the firing of the last coaching staff, the new one who he has no ties to, takes a job just to sit around their desk and be under prepared? Have you met football coaches? They are fanatical in their preparation.

And like players they know if MM fired them to save himself then they would be risking never getting a job again.

As for contracts and social media, that’s called censorship which is illegal.

These are all conspiracy theories that are unproven. Yes there’s been guys like Dez and Zeke that we know Jerry loves, but never seen a confirmed case of him allowing them not to do the work.

The reason the team is losing this year is the all pro OL is hurt and is the backup QB and they’ve started UDFA rookies at the tackle spots.

Defensively they were without 3 of the top 4 CBs against some of the best passing attacks in the league.

As for the Cleveland game, turnovers will kill you and there are players that are sulking. But that’s not because of Jerry. The Eagles are having the same problems the last 2 years. Is Lurie allowing the team not to work after winning a Super Bowl?

Are Jerry and Stephen the issue? YES.

But not because of this culture conspiracy nonsense. They aren’t hiring the right pro personnel guys and Stephen has not done a good job of creating contracts that will reflect future performance, with the exception of the OL. La’El got better after his contract last year.

Defensively, Jaylon has not been the same since signing and Tank hasn’t been as good either but more so due to injuries. Zeke is just a mental midget going back to his college days

Will McClay is really good in the draft. But signing FAs lately has been a bust.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

When there are all these problems all the time, then its the people at the top that need the blame. Its the people bringing in the players, coaches, ect…..ect…...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's absolutely nothing we fans can do about Jerry and Co. being at the top of the food chain. There's nothing we can do about anyone in the organization.

The one thing we know is that for the foreseeable future, there's always going to be a Jones signing the paychecks, so we might as well complain and hope about the people who could possibly be ousted. After all, while it may seem inconceivable, it's actually possible that the Joneses change their way of doing things, especially if they get pissed off enough, and when the team is being openly mocked by everyone, including the press dedicated to all things Cowboys, you can believe they're gonna get pissed off.

The one thing about the team being less than mediocre that gives me hope, is that the FO will finally realize big changes need to come.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, it is but what else would we do here? When you consider the amount of space and time devoted to those two things here, complaining about the coaches and/or players, that's most of this forum.

And yet, I still see "he's the best owner, just not a good GM" and I have to wonder about that poster. Do they understand the owner's first job and do they know his second job as well? The owner's first job is to hire the GM but his second job is even more critical, hold that GM accountable so that he holds all responsible to him in the same regard. ATL and HOU owners did their job, DAL does not.

To make this even worse on us, this owner openly admits he should have fired the GM so the message has been sent that the area of accountability does not apply.

Jake, it's just frustration at a helpless and hopeless situation some of the posters find themselves in and a little rant here and there helps some steam escape.

The owner is guilty of enabling the GM by forgiving him and too much self forgiveness smothers change. After this many years, he cannot admit "I can't do that" and the only hope for fans is he won't be able to do that much longer but I have even less confidence in the one that will take his place.

cern

Reaction score
Yes, it is but what else would we do here? When you consider the amount of space and time devoted to those two things here, complaining about the coaches and/or players, that's most of this forum.

And yet, I still see "he's the best owner, just not a good GM" and I have to wonder about that poster. Do they understand the owner's first job and do they know his second job as well? The owner's first job is to hire the GM but his second job is even more critical, hold that GM accountable so that he holds all responsible to him in the same regard. ATL and HOU owners did their job, DAL does not.

To make this even worse on us, this owner openly admits he should have fired the GM so the message has been sent that the area of accountability does not apply.

Jake, it's just frustration at a helpless and hopeless situation some of the posters find themselves in and a little rant here and there helps some steam escape.

The owner is guilty of enabling the GM by forgiving him and too much self forgiveness smothers change. After this many years, he cannot admit "I can't do that" and the only hope for fans is he won't be able to do that much longer but I have even less confidence in the one that will take his place.
it's a conundrum, coach. as jerry's said before, he can't fire himself. makes no sense at all, but that's his official statement on the subject.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's absolutely nothing we fans can do about Jerry and Co. being at the top of the food chain. There's nothing we can do about anyone in the organization.

The one thing we know is that for the foreseeable future, there's always going to be a Jones signing the paychecks, so we might as well complain and hope about the people who could possibly be ousted. After all, while it may seem inconceivable, it's actually possible that the Joneses change their way of doing things, especially if they get pissed off enough, and when the team is being openly mocked by everyone, including the press dedicated to all things Cowboys, you can believe they're gonna get pissed off.

The one thing about the team being less than mediocre that gives me hope, is that the FO will finally realize big changes need to come.
Runny, the problem with that is they have to realize that they are the changes that have to be made and no way I see that happening with these ego driven celebrities.

I see two options, acceptance of what is and what will be or find another team. It helps to complain and rant here because there are so many sympathetic eyes reading our rants. I chose the former because I can purge myself here among others that understand the frustration because it doesn't have to be this way because it wasn't always like this.

cern

Reaction score
it's all jimmy's fault. his pursuit of wahoo was greater than his desire to coach the cowboys.

Brax

Reaction score
They have finally made the big move to have a real head coach but fans want instant results.

They have given McCarthy as much or more autonomy than they gave Parcells.

If you've waited this long, now is not the time to cry.

They're going to sink or swim based on McCarthy and his assistant coaches including McCarthy and the coaching staffs ability to work with Will McClay to get better players next year.
Hire presser, "The goal will never change here, it’s about winning championships, but it’s about trusting the process," McCarthy said during the Wednesday afternoon event at The Star. God I hate those words..........
MM will be here at least a few more years, I believe he is just a bag of wind saying what he believes are what everyone wants to hear, but lets give him 3 more years, and see what happens, Jerry is at the end of the road he can't wait to much longer so the rope will be very very short for MM.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's a conundrum, coach. as jerry's said before, he can't fire himself. makes no sense at all, but that's his official statement on the subject.
He cannot admit failure even though there is no good reason why he should be a good NFL GM. He doesn't have the background or training, he just bought it and wanted to run it.

His admission to Costas that night that he should have fired himself told us all we needed to know. He realized he was not the right man for the job and was going to do nothing about that.

Booger's problem is that once he became a fat cat, his comfort was all that mattered. He's a self indulgent show off that likes treating himself well and being the patriarch like you see in old paintings, "there he is, the man that built all we have".

Owners do not hire GM's to make them comfortable and GM's don't hire HC's to do that. We've seen some real tug of wars between GMs and good HC's with Harbaugh and Parcells because they were each hired to do a job.

Jake's thread here isn't about frustration, it's about being frustrated with frustration.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's all jimmy's fault. his pursuit of wahoo was greater than his desire to coach the cowboys.
Can't really blame him, if he was pissed enough to not show up at the war room and Wannstedt had to talk him into coming, time to find a new game.

What is really pushing Booger's buttons now is that he was forced to let his favorite go. Garrett loved Booger, I mean really loved him and would do anything for him, including fall on his own sword. He was part of the family and to keep him would have gotten far too much push back so he had to do exactly what he didn't want to do. You can bet the first thing that hit his mind when this disgruntled players thing showed up was think 'this didn't happen with Jason'.

kskboys

Reaction score

Excellent post.

Last paragraph: Maybe. This team is such a clusterfudge on D right now, not sure it can be fixed w/o tearing it down.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to one poster here, "it's the fans around here that are the problem." :facepalm: I won't mention any names but they're on ignore now.

Why are the fans the problem with the play on the field, or the coaching or the guy at the top. They are the ones causing the fans to complain. The fans are not losing these games.
Though a certain player not getting sacks, blamed the fans. Maybe Jerry should put DLaw on ignore. :lmao:

The FO on down is the reason. Fans still complained when they were winning even in 2014 & 2016, just not as much. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if this would be considered a "tie" or not but has anyone noticed that Jerry only hires fat coaches. Jimmy Johnson. Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips, Mike McCarthy. Then all we do is over criticize the slim coaches in Barry Switzer and Jason Garrett. We run the fat guys off too fast and accept the slim guys. I don't know, seems pretty shallow from where I'm sitting.

I think we as fans should start embracing the fat coaches as well as the slim coaches. We're the reason why coaches are starving themselves and throwing up after every meal. They're trying to live up to an impossible standard of coaching. I hope someday Cowboys fans will accept a coach for his coaching merits and not his waist size.

It is that Texas BBQ. They are slim until they have that 1st BBQ meal. it adds 100 pounds over night. :laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
Those are generalities. So right after Jerry approves the firing of the last coaching staff, the new one who he has no ties to, takes a job just to sit around their desk and be under prepared? Have you met football coaches? They are fanatical in their preparation.

And like players they know if MM fired them to save himself then they would be risking never getting a job again.

As for contracts and social media, that’s called censorship which is illegal.

These are all conspiracy theories that are unproven. Yes there’s been guys like Dez and Zeke that we know Jerry loves, but never seen a confirmed case of him allowing them not to do the work.

The reason the team is losing this year is the all pro OL is hurt and is the backup QB and they’ve started UDFA rookies at the tackle spots.

Defensively they were without 3 of the top 4 CBs against some of the best passing attacks in the league.

As for the Cleveland game, turnovers will kill you and there are players that are sulking. But that’s not because of Jerry. The Eagles are having the same problems the last 2 years. Is Lurie allowing the team not to work after winning a Super Bowl?

Are Jerry and Stephen the issue? YES.

But not because of this culture conspiracy nonsense. They aren’t hiring the right pro personnel guys and Stephen has not done a good job of creating contracts that will reflect future performance, with the exception of the OL. La’El got better after his contract last year.

Defensively, Jaylon has not been the same since signing and Tank hasn’t been as good either but more so due to injuries. Zeke is just a mental midget going back to his college days

Will McClay is really good in the draft. But signing FAs lately has been a bust.
25 years of the same ol' same ol' points very distinctly towards proof.

I think you may be having problems understanding what underlying issues are and how they derail.

Here's something specific for you: Wade tried to penalize players. Jerry rescinded the penalties.

blueblood70

Reaction score

then why are any of you still here ? why do you claim to be fans? the Jones family has owned this team since 1989 and you have been unhappy after the 3 Sbs over four years which the last one was 24years ago, yet you are on forums , on FB pages, claim to be DC fans..

yet you do nothing but complaining, unhappy, say nothing will ever change and from my seat the Jones will be around at least 5-15-20 more years..

how about shut up about it and stop all the complaining and trey being fan..yes normal fans have debates on bad games, bad plays, odd play calls , bad refs etc thats normal

However this is spiraling into a place to HATE the DC not something real fans do..

if the Jones are still her e and going to be here all the complaining is meaningless, it wont change. The only thing you can change is to stop being fan turn in your fan card. delete your accounts, and move on..

some of us can be unhappy , disappointed, irritated and down right angry but dont take up countless hours a day doing nothing but complaining like little , well you know..90% of the threads are all negative , most ridiculous kneejerk emotional outbursts with insane notions on changes that wont and cant happen..

its useless waste of time

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Explain to me what Jerry is doing that is causing the team to lose? He isn’t involved in day to day activities anymore. He just shows up around the time he needs to approve (not make) big decisions like firing Jason or approving the trade for Cooper. He’s the figurehead CEO you see at board meetings and special times of the year in a normal business.

the roster turnover was around 40 percent this year I believe.

the coaches are all new.

Jerry wasn’t even allowed to be around the team for 6 months during the lockdown.

What does Jerry have to do with Zeke fumbling 4 times on something he’s learned since pop Warner? Also something he’s never done to this extent in his career.

What does Jerry have to do with the OL all getting hurt, at the same rate half the other teams are also having injuries?

What does Jerry have to do with Worley not executing a basic Cover 3 assignment?

I doubt Worley, some random FA Jerry had probably never heard of before they signed him, is telling him it’s okay to not listen to the new staff or that he doesn’t need to watch film.

If you want to blame the FO, go after pro personnel.

Yes the structure here in Dallas is different. The GM job is basically 2 separate people. McClay does player personnel work and Stephen does contracts and probably is the one who decided to hire McCarthy based on how we only heard from Stephen in the offseason and McCarthy was anything but a splashy hire.

Stephen has a flaw of trying to play too much hardball and being like the Patriots. But he’s always been that way. He got into a fight with Jerry when Jerry signed Deion.

Ultimately the on field results are the problems of the players first and foremost and the staff second. Front office is third.

Well stated. Too bad it will be ignored by many.