Complete offense or fix defensive line

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I believe we need to commit to one or the other with our first couple of picks and not be "balanced" with our selections because I don't think trying to balance out the offense and defense is going to make us anything more than average (which is what we had been up to 2014).

If we decide to go with Elliott in the first round, then I believe we should commit to make that side of the ball as dominant as it can be by taking someone like Doctson or Will Fuller at the top of the second.

If we decide to go Bosa, then we need to follow that up with another pass rusher and possibly another in one of the next two rounds to try to make our line the "Rushmen" Marinelli needs. (Not necessarily all of those picks would have to be used on DEs as DTs also would aid our rush and rotation.)

Even if Ramsey is the top pick, we need to hit the D-line hard after that.

I would only take a couple of defensive players if we commit to an offensive approach or a couple of offensive players if we commit to a defensive approach and just focus the rest on making one unit as good as it can be.

Now, obviously if a much higher-ranked player falls into our laps, I'm not advocating taking a lower-ranked player instead just because of this approach, but I just don't believe trying to be balanced is going to get us where we want to go.

Hardline

Reaction score
BPA in both rounds regardless of position If Zeke is on the board at 4 he is BPA.

Kaiser

Reaction score
BPA in both rounds regardless of position If Zeke is on the board at 4 he is BPA.

Totally agree. I don't want to go into next season with starters like Church, DMC and TWill but it wouldn't be a showstopper if any of those were starters next year. If you can get a significantly better talent at other positions, go with BPA when you are on the clock.

gimmesix

Reaction score

BPA is relative.

For instance, most draft pundits would disagree with you that Elliott will be the BPA at 4, especially with the QBs going 1 and 2. In fact, if Tunsil falls to us, he would probably be the BPA. In that case, He would not, though, be the best player available for us.

Again, if Dallas goes Zeke than I hope the Cowboys get someone like Fuller or Doctson in the second. (Both will probably be on the same tier level as other players available to us ). Our approach next season then would be to rely on an offense that features Romo, Elliott, Bryant, Fuller and Witten to carry the load for a defense that still doesn't have much of a pass rush.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I don't think anyone who believes in the philosophy of drafting the best player on the board would say that selecting "BPA" means disregarding common sense. Not many folks are seriously advocating the selection of Tunsil.

Ramsey and Bosa may be higher on a consensus of draft boards, but neither would have the positive impact on Dallas wins and losses that Elliot would. That makes Elliot BPA in my book. If it comes down to it, I think we can win a lot of shootouts with Zeke running, Tony throwing and Dez catching while the nasty boys up front do their thing

As for drafting BPA vs. drafting to complete the team on one side of the ball or the other: I think you have to add the best football players available when it's your turn to pick and then adjust your schemes and strategies to your talent. Success in the NFL is all about players. Whoever has the best ones usually wins.

Just my $0.02.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As for drafting BPA vs. drafting to complete the team on one side of the ball or the other: I think you have to add the best football players available when it's your turn to pick and then adjust your schemes and strategies to your talent. Success in the NFL is all about players. Whoever has the best ones usually wins.

Just my $0.02.

I think you can do both. It isn't usually black and white that this player available is much better than that player available.

As you said, you feel Elliott is the BPA for our team. He's not considered the best player available by pundits if both Bosa or Ramsey are there. However, the difference in their talent levels may be negligible. I think you can draft what positions you want within reason. Reason isn't taking a player at a position of need or desire over a much higher-rated player, but it is choosing what you want and need the most if the players available are considered to be on a similar level.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I beat the drum for BPA all day everyday!

But damn we need to start infusing some real defensive talent and difference makers to our defense... I feel like its Sean "cant stay healthy" Lee and a bunch of bums out there

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think you can do both. It isn't usually black and white that this player available is much better than that player available.

As you said, you feel Elliott is the BPA for our team. He's not considered the best player available by pundits if both Bosa or Ramsey are there. However, the difference in their talent levels may be negligible. I think you can draft what positions you want within reason. Reason isn't taking a player at a position of need or desire over a much higher-rated player, but it is choosing what you want and need the most if the players available are considered to be on a similar level.

That's logical. But if it comes down to a WR and a pass rusher of similar relative ability, I'm taking the pass rusher, regardless of which side of the ball the guy I picked the round before plays on.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Elliot is the best pick by far because of the offensive line, Dez, and Romo. If we draft Ramsey the pass rush is not going to protect him. Same thing with Bosa with sack totals. Ramsey will not get any turnover opportunities because he would have no help. Same for Bosa. Gregory, Hardy and Lawrence are killing the defense. I might even draft wide receiver in the second if Fuller or Coleman are there as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
Elliot is the best pick by far because of the offensive line, Dez, and Romo. If we draft Ramsey the pass rush is not going to protect him. Same thing with Bosa with sack totals. Ramsey will not get any turnover opportunities because he would have no help. Same for Bosa. Gregory, Hardy and Lawrence are killing the defense. I might even draft wide receiver in the second if Fuller or Coleman are there as well.

Because of the OL you don't need Elliott

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Offense wins games, Defense wins championships.

Dallas could control the TOP for 45 minutes and still give up 5 TD's in the 15 they don't have it, and lose 35-28.

Build the TRENCHES. Dallas has started with the OL, and now needs to go DL. Stop the middle of the DL from going backwards, and instead get them going forward, and they can change pressure. Force the offense to stop the guys who are CLOSEST to the ball to begin with, and your defense becomes much better.

I just do not understand Dallas idea that guys under 300lbs can get pressure inside when most inside OL are 330lbs plus. Dallas doesn't control the middle, teams didn't double the 1T or 3T- which allows for an extra helper on the DE's.

Once you have the middle issues resolved, draft a guy like Myles Garrett next year, and you will get the pressure you need.

Zeke is a great player, and will help the offense, but not put Dallas in a position to win a championship, IMO.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That's logical. But if it comes down to a WR and a pass rusher of similar relative ability, I'm taking the pass rusher, regardless of which side of the ball the guy I picked the round before plays on.

I'm not if I pick Elliott, for the reason that I stated. Get a better No. 2 receiver and with Elliott, we should be able to stress the defense at every skill position while operating with one of the top offensive line's in the league.

Again, I don't know how much one second-round defensive lineman is going to help us, while I believe the combination of Elliott and that receiver could take the offense up a level.

If we're going to attack our defensive inadequacies, then I'd rather attack them full on and increase the level of play of the defense enough so that it's good enough to support the offense we've got.

All things being equal, I go defense first round, defense second round, defense third round or offense in at least the first and second.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'm not if I pick Elliott, for the reason that I stated. Get a better No. 2 receiver and with Elliott, we should be able to stress the defense at every skill position while operating with one of the top offensive line's in the league.

Again, I don't know how much one second-round defensive lineman is going to help us, while I believe the combination of Elliott and that receiver could take the offense up a level.

If we're going to attack our defensive inadequacies, then I'd rather attack them full on and increase the level of play of the defense enough so that it's good enough to support the offense we've got.

All things being equal, I go defense first round, defense second round, defense third round or offense in at least the first and second.

I see the merits of your strategy. I thought this exact same thing a couple of years ago after NE and Green Bay won championships throwing the ball around and playing no defense.

But...

If the goal in this draft is to make the Dallas offense or defense a dominating unit, in 2016 as well as for years to come, there's no way I'd choose the defense. It's more than one offseason away. The offense, on the other hand, is already very, very close, as we saw in 2014, and I think a RB like Zeke Elliot would put us over the top. This years draft is deep at several defensive positions, however, and on day two and beyond would allow me to begin laying the groundwork for the future.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
BPA is relative.

For instance, most draft pundits would disagree with you that Elliott will be the BPA at 4, especially with the QBs going 1 and 2. In fact, if Tunsil falls to us, he would probably be the BPA. In that case, He would not, though, be the best player available for us.

Again, if Dallas goes Zeke than I hope the Cowboys get someone like Fuller or Doctson in the second. (Both will probably be on the same tier level as other players available to us ). Our approach next season then would be to rely on an offense that features Romo, Elliott, Bryant, Fuller and Witten to carry the load for a defense that still doesn't have much of a pass rush.

BPA is subjective. There really isn't any head-and-shoulders-above player in this draft.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Offense wins games, Defense wins championships.

Zeke is a great player, and will help the offense, but not put Dallas in a position to win a championship, IMO.

I don't understand these sentiments at all. So if you're winning games that doesn't put you in a position to win championships?

What? By losing games, you put yourself in a better position to win championships? :huh:

I'm being a little sarcastic but serious in a way. We didn't get to the NFC Championship two years ago, yes, because our defense. But if DeMarco Murray is able to hold onto the ball going throw a hole as big as the Grand Canyon, maybe we don't have to rely on defense as much.

Ezekiel Elliott doesn't hold the ball as loosely as Murray does. And he takes it the distance whereas Murray gets tackled short of the goal line.

I guess time will tell, but I think EE is closer to Emmitt Smith than Bosa is to Reggie White or J.J. Watts. For that reason, I'd rather go with a back who will give me the impact of Emmitt rather than a DE who will give me the impact of Greg Ellis.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our offense is complete as far as I'm concerned. About all we'd need to do is get a mid-round RB, or maybe a speed WR at some point, but neither with the top 2 picks. We need to add talent to this very mediocre defense.