Complete offense or fix defensive line

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I don't understand these sentiments at all. So if you're winning games that doesn't put you in a position to win championships?

What? By losing games, you put yourself in a better position to win championships? :huh:

I'm being a little sarcastic but serious in a way. We didn't get to the NFC Championship two years ago, yes, because our defense. But if DeMarco Murray is able to hold onto the ball going throw a hole as big as the Grand Canyon, maybe we don't have to rely on defense as much.

Ezekiel Elliott doesn't hold the ball as loosely as Murray does. And he takes it the distance whereas Murray gets tackled short of the goal line.

I guess time will tell, but I think EE is closer to Emmitt Smith than Bosa is to Reggie White or J.J. Watts. For that reason, I'd rather go with a back who will give me the impact of Emmitt rather than a DE who will give me the impact of Greg Ellis.

Yes, but in a tight game with a small lead and 2 minutes left............defense keeps them out of the end zone for the win.
If you have a great running back, the D loads the box and takes time off the clock, keeping you from winning.

You need at least a very solid D to win a championship, IMO.

And I am not on the Bosa wagon either. I am on the trade down and get several starters for the D wagon.
In fact, it won't happen I know, I would rather trade down and pick up a couple extra 2's and draft A'shawn Robinson or Andrew Billings in the first. That would allow for a RB/WR in the second along with a S/CB, and a DE.

Robinson/Billings Thorton seems much stronger in the middle that what they have now.

btcutter

Reaction score
Yes, but in a tight game with a small lead and 2 minutes left............defense keeps them out of the end zone for the win.
If you have a great running back, the D loads the box and takes time off the clock, keeping you from winning.

And I am not on the Bosa wagon either. I am on the trade down and get several starters for the D wagon.
In fact, it won't happen I know, I would rather trade down and pick up a couple extra 2's and draft A'shawn Robinson or Andrew Billings in the first. That would allow for a RB/WR in the second along with a S/CB, and a DE.

Robinson/Billings Thorton seems much stronger in the middle that what they have now.

Bosa and Clark certainly shores up the DL for us.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
BPA in both rounds regardless of position If Zeke is on the board at 4 he is BPA.

Tunsil is better and Ramsey neck and neck. The biggest knock on Ramsey is that he might not be an elite outside corner. But if we assume he's a safety/nickle guy, he is an elite prospect. Whether that is worth a top 5 pick is a different story, but RB has the same question.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Bosa and Clark certainly shores up the DL for us.

I agree, it would be better than what we have now, but I don't think you get Bosa if you drop back to where you could get multiple 2nd rounders.

Bosa/Clark -- I admit I like.
Robinson or Billings(15)/ Henry or Doctson or Stillwell (34) /Joseph(43)/Nassib or other DE (45) -- I like better.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BPA in both rounds regardless of position If Zeke is on the board at 4 he is BPA.

He's your BPA....which may be what you're saying.

My guess is that he might be 3rd on their board right now with only one of those players most likely taken.
But don't know for sure

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't understand these sentiments at all. So if you're winning games that doesn't put you in a position to win championships?

What? By losing games, you put yourself in a better position to win championships? :huh:

I'm being a little sarcastic but serious in a way. We didn't get to the NFC Championship two years ago, yes, because our defense. But if DeMarco Murray is able to hold onto the ball going throw a hole as big as the Grand Canyon, maybe we don't have to rely on defense as much.

Ezekiel Elliott doesn't hold the ball as loosely as Murray does. And he takes it the distance whereas Murray gets tackled short of the goal line.

I guess time will tell, but I think EE is closer to Emmitt Smith than Bosa is to Reggie White or J.J. Watts. For that reason, I'd rather go with a back who will give me the impact of Emmitt rather than a DE who will give me the impact of Greg Ellis.

We didn't get to the NFC Championship, btw

Most would say we didn't get further because of the lack of a pass rush.
Plus, recall that Romo & Co had 3-4 miracle 4th quarter or OT comebacks that year. The wild Houston play for example.

No RB is getting 400 carries and 1850+ yards the same year Romo leads the league in both QB rating and completion % again.
I'm not sure that's ever even happened in the NFL before.

They need a better defense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

We could probably work this scenario to death (both the game time scenario and the draft scenario). I'm just ready for the draft to get here. I don't know what the Cowboys will do, but I'm not as down about the possibilities as some are. I think we'll get a great player either way. Now if we pick Dak Prescott in the first round, Best Buy will need to have flat screen televisions in stock, and then some. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We didn't get to the NFC Championship, btw

Most would say we didn't get further because of the lack of a pass rush.
Plus, recall that Romo & Co had 3-4 miracle 4th quarter or OT comebacks that year. The wild Houston play for example.

No RB is getting 400 carries and 1850+ yards the same year Romo leads the league in both QB rating and completion % again.
I'm not sure that's ever even happened in the NFL before.

They need a better defense.

I don't disagree with what you've said. I was beating the drum regarding a better defense. However, I won't overlook the need to make the offense better with an elite player on the offensive side of the ball and one that fits our needs. I think Elliott is that person.

I think he's better at his position than Bosa or Ramsey. And even if we go Elliott with our first round pick - trade down or not - we can use the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders on defense (although I think we'll sprinkle a development quarterback in those picks as well).

But we'll see.

btcutter

Reaction score
I agree, it would be better than what we have now, but I don't think you get Bosa if you drop back to where you could get multiple 2nd rounders.

Bosa/Clark -- I admit I like.
Robinson or Billings(15)/ Henry or Doctson or Stillwell (34) /Joseph(43)/Nassib or other DE (45) -- I like better.

My problem is that the drop in DE talent is very high,IMO. The drop in DT is far less. Furthermore, DT is very deep in the draft whereas DE talents much harder to come by in the later rounds. That's why I don't like to settle for 2nd tier DE talent when I can have the best DE in the draft and consensus top 5 pick for the whole year.

Hardline

Reaction score
He's your BPA....which may be what you're saying.

My guess is that he might be 3rd on their board right now with only one of those players most likely taken.
But don't know for sure

He is BPA if Tunsil is off the board. That's common knowledge.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He is BPA if Tunsil is off the board. That's common knowledge.

Not that I care...because ranking as are just opinions, but no.
Almost everyone has both Tunsil and Ramsey ahead of him. In fact more rankings than not have him closer to 6-8 range.
I did see him at 3. Even then, I think it 3rd behind both Tunsil and Ramsey. lol
(Correction: just looked about 10 rankings and 1 (Bill Polian) had him ahead of Ramsey.

Again, I don't care either way as the rankings are just a reference and opinion.

Now at least Scout has him pretty high...at 4...and you know 2 of the 3 ahead of him

bouttime

Reaction score
I don't think anyone who believes in the philosophy of drafting the best player on the board would say that selecting "BPA" means disregarding common sense. Not many folks are seriously advocating the selection of Tunsil.

Ramsey and Bosa may be higher on a consensus of draft boards, but neither would have the positive impact on Dallas wins and losses that Elliot would. That makes Elliot BPA in my book. If it comes down to it, I think we can win a lot of shootouts with Zeke running, Tony throwing and Dez catching while the nasty boys up front do their thing

As for drafting BPA vs. drafting to complete the team on one side of the ball or the other: I think you have to add the best football players available when it's your turn to pick and then adjust your schemes and strategies to your talent. Success in the NFL is all about players. Whoever has the best ones usually wins.

Just my $0.02.

If JJ's goal, is to return to be as good as we were in the early 90"s...consider this...

As much as credit as was given to the Triplets, neither of them would have been what they were without a dominate offensive line. When that line started to falter or was absent, it meant the end of the Triplets.
Irvin's career ended because he had to go over the middle into the teeth of the Eagles defense and got slammed into the concrete turf called Veterans Stadium, because of his QB not having enough time. Aikman had to end his career because of the brutal hits he was taking both trying to stay in the pocket and the unfortunate times he was forced to run. (ie, LaVar Arrington). And Emmitt's career basically came to an end on a hit from Roy Williams while playing for the Cardinals.
We have the dominate line, we have an elite quarterback and receiver once again. The only piece that is missing...is a truly elite running back. Our team from last year paid the price for this 4th overall pick....NOW USE IT!!! He's our's...!!!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We need talent at DB, DL, and QB most. Then LB, WR, and RB.

When I was watching the games I complained mostly about were

1. Velcro and gimp Crawford who got ran on a lot right up the middle. The young guys also struggled with their gap assignments all over the front 7. Thornton should help here.
2. Inconsistent pass rush. Crawford is a warrior but his injury hurt. Whoever played next to him did well be it Hardy or DLaw but we could get no production from the other side. While I think Thornton's effect could be cascading, I'm not sold on the talent outside of DLaw. That is before reliability is questioned.
3. Coverage in the middle of the field. Claiborne would blow assignments and Carr would get underneath but I never really worried about throws to the outside. Teams would throw to the gaping holes found around our LB and S right up the spine of the defense. Then there was the revolving door beyond the rookie in terms of depth. I remember how awful Patmon was. The mediocrity of Sterling Moore. Gachkar was the only pleasant surprise. We need a lot more range amongst those 5 positions. We cannot afford to have minus range like Church on the field with Wilber and McClain.
4. QB play. Weeden nor Cassell would throw the ball because they were afraid of their reads after the first. They had poor pocket presence and panicked. Their pass protection was good for the most part but they could not make plays.
5. Dez was hurt and it really exposed our lack of receiver talent. Beasley and Lucky are limited. Witten isn't what he used to be. TWill is what he is and that includes having zero impact on multiple games every year. Butler is a nice prospect but none of them have front line talent.
6. After Randle flamed out and Dunbar got hurt again I was very concerned about RB. DMC and Turbin assuaged those concerns but I am a believer that RB should be picked often as it is such a volatile position. You always want youth at the position.