Complete offseason

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
This is an attempt to build the best team possible while playing amateur GM.

I will try to keep it as realistic as possible. That is a matter of opinion of course but while I would love to sign 4 or 5 F.A.'s I will only sign one. While I would like to make wild trades involving players, I will only make one that I feel is realistic and could see happening. While I would like to make a bunch of trades involving draft picks I will keep it realistic and give sound reasoning for the trades made.

I will be using the current draft order which can be seen here.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/2016.htm

I will be using the CBS draft ranking for choosing players.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/all

I will be using this needs chart for team picks in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000551301/article/2016-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

I will be using overthecap.com for player transactions.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/dallas-cowboys/

This list of Free agents for F.A. signings

http://nfltraderumors.co/2016-nfl-free-agents-list/

This draft pick calculator for draft pick trades.

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

I will try to explain each transaction and the reasoning behind it.

Cuts

Carr- Finally makes financial sense to cut him. He will still count 7.4 mil against the cap but we gain almost 6.5 mil by cutting him. I considered doing a june 1st cut but decided to take the bandaid approach so that next year there is no dead money at all.

Church,- It's time to move on and I intend to find a better safety option. We save 2.75 mil and he only leaves 500K in dead money. He is a good tackler and hasn't been a bum but I intend to fix the secondary finally.

Gachker - Makes too much money for the role he plays and I don't intend to keep him around. Saves 1.3 mil towards the cap and represents 600k in dead money.

Terell Mcclain- Can't stay healthy gain a mil on the cap and only 100K in dead money.

Street- Butler is better Cap gain 549K and 100K in dead money.

Glaud - scrub cut

Michale Hill, Scrub cut

Guys that I didn't cut but others might wonder why not.

Wilcox = Cheap affordable backup safety. Or will be once I get my secondary.

Everyone else currently under contract either deserves to be there or is so cheap not worth cutting with one exceptions.

Free - Up to this point I have not yet decided what to do with Free. He is expensive but is still somewhat of an effective starter and we do not know what we have in Chaz Green. Ultimately I may decide to make him a June 1st cut but that is dependent upon other trransactions.

If I re-sign Bernie and Leary then I might move Collins to RT if Chaz Green doesn't work out but so far I do not know if they can be re-signed.

Current Cowboys F.A..s

Re-sign Hardy, Mincey, Roloando Mcclain, Jack Crawford, Dunbar, Heath, and Clutts.

Not re-signed Cassell, Mccray, Brown, Hayden, Hanna, Wilber, Claiborne, Turbin and Terrance Mitchell.

Notes on a few that some would want to keep.

Hanna - decent player but we already have 3 TE's and he just isn't a big enough part of the offense to justify what other teams are going to offer.

Wilber - same as Hanna

Claiborne - showed just enough this year that someone will be willing to gamble with more than I would want to spend on him.

Turbin and Mitchell are names I might try to bring back later if needed but no need to sign them now.

That leaves Bernie and Leary.

I would like to keep Leary for another year but it doesn't make sense to RFA him at a 2nd rd tender as he would cost too much and he really only plays one position. He ends up signing elsewhere for more than we are willing to.

Bernie - Backs up both guard spots and Center. Even though he is pricey, he is too valuable to let go.

This leaves me with no other choice but to keep Free one more year.

OL - Tyron, Collins, Fred, Martin, Free with Bernie and Chaz Green backing up plus emergency guys like Clay and Fortenberry.

FREE AGENCY

I am talking to a bunch of them. Berry, Gipson, Janoris Jenkins, Trumain Johnson, Leon Hall, Lamar Miller, Wilkerson, Some DT's some LB's.

Ultimately we are down to two that we are really trying to sign. Gupson and Janoris Jenkins. We think we are just about there when another team offers Gipson more and we lose him but it frees up enough that we are able to get Janoris Jenkins singed.

YAY! Draft day is here. It is the best day of the year.

This is how the draft falls.

1. Titans Take OT Tunsil
2. Cleveland takes QB Paxton Lynch (jerry is already on the phone with Cle)
3. Balt takes Jalen Ramsey (BOOOOOO!)
4. San Diego is on the clock. They need LB's and there are two great ones there. They also need a QB to groom and Goff is there But heck Bosa is still on the board and he is considered the best player available.
The phone rings. It's the Bears. They want Bosa. San DIego really needs a WR more than anything. They trade the pick to Chi. Chi takes Bosa and San diego hopes Treadwell will still be there at 10. Pick no 4 for picks no 10 and 40. 1800 points vs 1800 points.

5. Yay we are on the clock and there are tons of options. Two stud LB's, Goff, even Stanley is in consideration. He is after all the highest rated player on the board and it is not too late to make Free a Post june 1st cut.

The phone is ringing off the hook, St Louis and Philly want to jump ahead of San Fran and grab Goff. Several teams are calling about the LB's and several are calling about OT Stanley.

St Louis and San Diego are now the only two teams in the draft with two 2nd round picks. San Diego just traded back so they aren't about to give up what they just received when they think their WR could still be there at 10 but Jerry is working over St Louis hard. We want their 1st and both 2nd's for pick no 5. It is tilted in value in our favor a little but still not out of the realm of possibility. Ultimately the Rams can't be talked into it and Jerry has decided to take Jaylon Smith LB when the phone rings again. This is the Colts whom they have already spoken to. They want OT Stanley to protect Luck. It is a major need and they are willing to give up their 1, 2, and 3 for pick 5. That is picks 16, 46 and 77 for pick 5. 1700 to 1670. Jerry puts the Colts on hold and asks tells the rest of the table what the offer is.

Marinelli says, Jaylon Smith can help this team a lot.
Lineham says We could use a stud running back.
Garrett says, it's a process.
Stephen says. picks 46 and 77 can be starters on this team if we choose wisely. We can get 3 for 1.
Jerry looks at Mcclay and asks are there any Linebackers later on that you believe could make an impact.
Mcclay says, yes. They aren't Jaylon Smith but we already have Lee and Mcclain.

Jerry says, Do the deal.

The colts select Stanley OT at no 5. Dallas now has picks 16, 35, 46, 66, 77 and 101 (I am only doing 4 rounds)

Pick 16 comes along and they are discussing some 2nd tier QB's and other options when Jerrylooks at Lineham and says, didn't you want a running back? Lineham says, yes. The best back in the country is still on the board.

Jerry gets on the Phone with Cle - What are you going to do with that QB that used to be an Aggie. Well Jerry we would give him to you for pick 16. Jerry says, Nah, there are some great QB options still out there and we think Romo might stay healthy this year. O.K. Jerry let me know if you change your mind.

With Pick 16 Dallas selects Ezekiel Elliott RB

Hand slaps and high 5's and all that.

Pick 35 is coming up when the Phone rings. It is Cle calling Dallas this time. We would give you that QB from A and M for pick 35. Jerry says, I sure like that guy but we think Romo can stay healthy this year and we still like some of the options on the board to be backup QB's. O.K, Jerry, we will talk later.

With pick 35 Dallas selects Desmond King CB

Marinelli is happy. He thinks life just got a lot better adding Janoris Jenkins and Desmond King to the secondary. He says now we can play my style of defense.

Pick 46 is coming up. The guys are looking at the available players and the phone rings. Cle again. Hey Jerry, how about giving us pick 46 for a QB to groom. Jerry says, we have an early 3rd and we might just consider it then if you are still interested. Cle says, ok we will talk then.

Pick 46 Dallas Selects Vonn Bell SS
Marinelli is about to die. He can't believe it.

His secondary now consists of
CB Scandrick
CB Janoris Jenkins
CB Desmond King
FS Byron Jones
SS Vonn Bell

The draft rolls along and pick 66 is coming up. Cle calls again. Remember that conversation we had about an early 3rd round pick? Why yes I do. Well we would be interested in taking pick no 66 as we have someone on the board we really like. Jerry says don't you have pick 65? Yes we do. We have two players we love and we want to pick them back to back. Hmmm. Well We need our picks. We have some holes but would you consider taking a 2017 3rd round pick. Our 3rd this year is practically a 2nd? I'll tell you what Jerry, If you give us your 3rd rd pick this year and your 3rd rd pick in 2017 we will give you our 4th rd pick pick no 95 and Johnny. Jerry saiys, that is close to fair. how about if we give you pick 66 and 2017 4th round pick for pick 95 and Johnny. O.k, Jerry done!

Now Dallas has picks 77, 95 and 101. And a new backup QB and possible future starter.

Pick 77 Vernon Butler DT

Pick 95 is Braxton Miller WR

Pick 101 Eric Striker.

There is a 4th rd comp left from the Murray loss I believe and should have picks in 5th, 6th and 7th but I wont go that deep into the draft.

To summarize

Starting lineup and key subs

QB Romo, Manziel, Moore
RB Ezekiel Elliott, Mcfadden, Dunbar
FB Clutts
TE Witten, Pablo and Swaim
WR's Dez, Twill, Braxton Miller, Beasley, Butler and Lucky
LT Tron
LG Collins
C Fred
RG Martin
RT Free
Backup T Chaz Green
Backup G and C Bernie

K Bailey
P Jones
LS Ladoucier
KR Lucky

DE Hardy, Mincey, Gregory, DLAW, Jack Crawford
DT's Crawford, Vernon Butler, Irving, Whaley, Russell
LB's Lee, Mcclain, Hitchins, Wilson, Striker, Nzeoda
CB's Scandrick, Janoris Jenkins, Desmond King, Mitchell
FS Byron Jones
SS Von Bell

Backup safetys
Wilcox and Heath and Jones can move to CB if injuries necessitate.

Just win!

tm1119

Reaction score
If Goff is on the board you take him. He's a potential franchise QB imo. Just say no to the circus of Johnny Manziel. Not worth it.

You also have at least 1 too many high investments in secondary for me. I see so much talk about the secondary...we are only letting up 226 yards per game people. Take out Bell and add a D lineman/wr/lb instead and it starts to get better for me.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If Goff is on the board you take him. He's a potential franchise QB imo. Just say no to the circus of Johnny Manziel. Not worth it.

You also have at least 1 too many high investments in secondary for me. I see so much talk about the secondary...we are only letting up 226 yards per game people. Take out Bell and add a D lineman/wr/lb instead and it starts to get better for me.

I don't like Goff. He has a windup when he throws and he throws moon shots. I know Manziel has issues but I think he can win. I know Jerry likes him too so I am keeping it real.
The secondary is my main focus. I am sick of giving up 1st downs on 3rd and 15 and never getting interceptions. Plus I know a better secondary will show how effective our rushmen really are.(and I expect the rushmen to be better next year thanks to Gregory and DLAW having more experience.

I addressed all of the positions you mentioned.
Vernon Butler DT - Check him out. He is pretty damn good.
Braxton Miller WR - Check him out. He is awesome
Eric Striker LB - Plus I re-signed Rolando Mcclain.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Was fun, and would be a great offseason, but I think Cleveland is going to stick with Manziel and pass on a QB. He has turned the corner on the field and after all they have been through in the 2 decades of there existance they arent going to give up on a first round QB after he turned the corner for an another unproven first round QB

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Thank you.

yw.

btw, I am a fan of Bell....but I would rather have Darian Thompson. Also, instead of Striker, I would rather have CB Harlan Miller or S Kevin Byard.

If we could come out of the draft with CBs Desmond King and Harlan Miller, as well as safeties Thompson and Byard, we would be absolutely set in our secondary. Adding two safeties who combined for over 35 interceptions for their college career could definitely change our turnover fortunes. Also, King and Harlan are very good and versatile CBs. Add those four players to Jones, Scandrick, Mitchell, and Wilcox and our secondary could be quite studly. Especially, if we are also able to add a quality FA like Jenkins.

btw, the Garrett comment was absolutely priceless.......comedy gold

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Was fun, and would be a great offseason, but I think Cleveland is going to stick with Manziel and pass on a QB. He has turned the corner on the field and after all they have been through in the 2 decades of there existance they arent going to give up on a first round QB after he turned the corner for an another unproven first round QB

They might. Most mocks I am looking at even from the professtonals have Cle going QB. It should be interesting.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
yw.

btw, I am a fan of Bell....but I would rather have Darian Thompson. Also, instead of Striker, I would rather have CB Harlan Miller or S Kevin Byard.

If we could come out of the draft with CBs Desmond King and Harlan Miller, as well as safeties Thompson and Byard, we would be absolutely set in our secondary. Adding two safeties who combined for over 35 interceptions for their college career could definitely change our turnover fortunes. Also, King and Harlan are very good and versatile CBs. Add those four players to Jones, Scandrick, Mitchell, and Wilcox and our secondary could be quite studly. Especially, if we are also able to add a quality FA like Jenkins.

btw, the Garrett comment was absolutely priceless.......comedy gold

Thompson I like too but since I intend to use Byron Jones at FS I was looking for a SS. I will have to look into Harlan Miller. One of the things that was limiting to me was having to use so many early picks on the secondary. Byard I will need to look at too. Having some stud DB's for later in the draft would open up early rounds for big time play makers. What I was trying to accomplish though with the db's I selected was find day one starters. I think King and Bell would fit that bill.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They might. Most mocks I am looking at even from the professtonals have Cle going QB. It should be interesting.

Mocks dont matter. Even the most professional. As far as what Cleveland is planning on doing at QB they know about as much as we do.

Myself, I dont see them getting rid of Manziel just as a turns the corner considering they spent a 1st round pick on him in 2015. Its going to be very hard to sell that fanbase on an unproven QB when they talented on they drafted 2 years ago is just starting to come.

And if they do trade him, I dont think they will let him go for less then a high second

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Mocks dont matter. Even the most professional. As far as what Cleveland is planning on doing at QB they know about as much as we do.

Myself, I dont see them getting rid of Manziel just as a turns the corner considering they spent a 1st round pick on him in 2015. Its going to be very hard to sell that fanbase on an unproven QB when they talented on they drafted 2 years ago is just starting to come.

And if they do trade him, I dont think they will let him go for less then a high second

Entirely possible. I posted an interview with the coach that was talking about "If Manziel is here next year" meaning they are certainly considering drafting a QB. As far as wanting a 2nd I am sure they would want as high a pick as they could get. In this exercise he was talking to Jerry about it all day and when pick 66 came around there was someone on the board they wanted badly. They have Mccown and Davis plus Conner Shaw. IF they do draft a QB, it is likely they will want to trade Manziel. Will they draft a QB? I don't know. I guess it depends on what they think of Paxton Lynch and Goff.

RandyOh

Reaction score
very fun to read but i don't want the tiny QB with a drinking problem and an ego as big as Jerry's.