Concerns about Lawson

J-DOG

Reaction score
whcarm said:
While I am sure you meant no disrespect by this comment, you might want to select your wording more carefully. The Bible is my Bible. Even an off handed comment like that irritates me as a Christian.

Back to the subject, I just use those sites because of the other sites that I regularly look at, those sites have the most in-depth information.

And I'm not saying the guy is a bum. I'm just point out the difference between him and Capenter in that respect. Everything I have read about Carpenter everywhere has said what a high character, hard worker and high motor guy he is. I can't say the same about Lawson.
Did you say high motor????
Lawson Positives-Pro Football Weekly
Tough and smart with a GREAT MOTOR. Possesses great athletic ability with great speed and leaping ability. A workout warrior who tests through the roof and worked out like a cat in LB drills at the Combine, showing tremendous quickness and speed for his size. Has a 39 and a half inch vertical jump. Has experience in OLB role and has natural pass-rush ability. Shows suprising strength at the point of attack, PLAYS HARD and can really run and close fast to the ball. CHASES HARD on the backside and shows excellent pursuit speed. Uses his hands well to sift through trash. Has an explosive first step off the edge. Agile enough to cover. Has seven career blocked kicks.
Not a great motor ????

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Your bring up some good points, however, if one of the players rated higher do not drop to us.....then I believe Lawson is the value pick of need

Champsheart

Reaction score
whcarm said:
There are a few things that scare me about Lawson.

1) Mario Williams is considered to be one of the best players available in the draft. Lawson was playing opposite Williams. Williams got the attention, which left Lawson free to do his thing.

Granted, we have Ware in Dallas, so not all the attention would be on Lawson here either. But I think the fact that he played with Williams made him look better than he is. If he hadn't had Williams playing opposite him, would he have had as much success? Would we be talking about taking him in the first round?

2) His size is not typical of what Parcells likes. He is taller than most of the other OLB prospects and he weighs less than most of them. That might mean he can grown into his frame. However, one of his biggest assets is speed. Will he lose his speed if he has to gain weight?

Also, will his speed be negated by the fact that he will be facing the TE and linemen on most plays?

3) He was not a LB in college. Yes, I understand that Ware wasn't a LB in college either. But Ware took some time to get used to the switch and was a bit inconsistent at times. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone who understands how to be a LB right off the bat?

4) There are two things I look for in descriptions of college players. One cocerns me and the other makes me like the guy more. The thing that concerns me is people saying that he takes plays off. I have seen that a few times in regards to Lawson. The thing I always like is people saying he is a team leader, is tough and works hard. While I have seen people say Lawson works hard in the weight room, I haven't seen anyone say he is a team leader.

So, all of this concerns me a bit about Lawson.

On the other hand, all the things that concern me about Lawson are positives for Carpenter.

Carpenter was a star this past year and probably would have been much more heralded had he not been injured (I love hearing he might have been regarded as highly as Hawk had he not been injured). Carpenter has the prototypical size that Parcells wants. Carpenter played the LB position in college. He already knows how to cover and he is still a good pass rusher. And everything I have read about Carpenter has trumped up his high character and work ethic. Add that to the fact that Parcells coached his father, and that really makes me think he is the kind of player Parcells loves to coach.

I would be happy with either guy. Both come with some risks. But, I would be nervous about Lawson. On the other hand, I'd love to hear Carpenter's name called next week and would have no reservations about him.

I can understand these points. I do like Lawson though and Carpenter as well. But if I had to choose I take Wimbley!

He is a nice first step, is relentless, and actually has some pass rush moves. The thing I like about him most though is what I liked about Merriman. Wimbley is a mean SOB and plays with attitude. I love that in a player.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lawson certainly has a lot of upside. with so many OLBs touted so highly, I am sure one or two turn out to be average, but who? Lawson? Carpenter? Wimbley? sims? Thomas? Hawk? Greenway?

Carpenter is certainly most NFL ready, but he also played With Whitner, Hawk two first round talents. Lawson played with Williams and that causes you to have doubts. He has a lot of upside. his learning curve will be longer. remember people also had doubts about ware. he played DE in college. he played small school and never faced big competition.

the one thing you can't teach are instincts and speed. carpenter has than knack of getting to the QB. I have read that he is awsome from 10 yards in getting to the QB. Lawson has the 4.4 speed. adding 10 pounds to his frame won't effect his speed much. but don't expect a lot from him his first year.

I would be more than happy with either of those guys.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it has been said already but still here we go.

It was Lawson, not Williams who was voted MVP of the D by his team, including coaches.

While Lawson had Williams helping him.

Carpenter had Schegel (sp?), Hawk and a pretty good secondary.

Lawson has plenty of size and skills that Parcells likes in a tweener coming out of college, knowing they will bulk up.

Lawson was assigned to cover Heather Miller when they played and from what I can tell he did a pretty good job on a future (at the time) first round TE.

Lawson has a good motor when playing. Seen a clip where he was on one end, went behind the LOS and ran down a running back who was running towards the other end on a sweep play and still got the RB behind the LOS.

I can not remember where I heard it but someone compared him to Harry Carson when talking about him and somehow that was linked to Big Bill...Not sure if bill said it and someone was repeating it or how it was said.
But remember last year when bill said if you look at a guy and he does not remind you of someone you coached before you might be looking a the wrong guy. Carson would be a fit to go with Taylor and he compared Ware to Taylor last year.
Now that could have been just some draft guy comparing Lawson to Carson and nothing to do with bill but it seems pretty odd.

Now Carpenter IMO is a very good and very safe bet. I think he is ready to play and would be a great Addition to the team.

I think Lawson has more upside but at the same time that upside may never show up. In other words he may have more upside but with that mentality the risks are greater.

I would be happy with either to be honest.

Another thing of note, in a recent interview Jerry said they would probably look for two players on D and one on O in the first day. Now this all could change when the draft rolls around or it could be a smoke screen but another thing he said was they could be looking at a tweener player in the first.

Carpenter is versatile and could play many of the LB spots, but when they talk about tweeners today it is usually a DE in college converted to a LB in the pros.

Once again it may mean nothing come draft time but just things to consider. I honestly think that if ngata does not fall then Lawson and Carpenter are the top to picks that we are considering being there and taking.

One last thing, People keep talking about Wimbely, but I have a feeling he will be gone.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Kirwan is the one who originally said that he talked to a scout that he trust say that Lawson was Carl Banks but faster. (Kirwan is a FOB, and former Jet front office guy.) He then went on to say that Lawson was the perfect complement for Demarcus Ware in Dallas. Its also been reported that on Sirius that he has said that Bill is the one who compared Lawson to Banks. Both Kirwan and now Gosselin have Dallas projected to take Lawson. Kiper and Gosselin both have Lawson as their most underrated player in the draft now.

Jerry when asked about linebackers and defensive ends at #18, said that there was two tweeners that they were interested in.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88 said:
Kirwan is the one who originally said that he talked to a scout that he trust say that Lawson was Carl Banks but faster. (Kirwan is a FOB, and former Jet front office guy.) He then went on to say that Lawson was the perfect complement for Demarcus Ware in Dallas. Its also been reported that on Sirius that he has said that Bill is the one who compared Lawson to Banks. Both Kirwan and now Gosselin have Dallas projected to take Lawson. Kiper and Gosselin both have Lawson as their most underrated player in the draft now.

Jerry when asked about linebackers and defensive ends at #18, said that there was two tweeners that they were interested in.

Thanks.
I knew I heard it somewhere but could not remember who said it or the context of it.

Thanks.:starspin

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
whcarm said:
While I am sure you meant no disrespect by this comment, you might want to select your wording more carefully. The Bible is my Bible. Even an off handed comment like that irritates me as a Christian.

Back to the subject, I just use those sites because of the other sites that I regularly look at, those sites have the most in-depth information.

And I'm not saying the guy is a bum. I'm just point out the difference between him and Capenter in that respect. Everything I have read about Carpenter everywhere has said what a high character, hard worker and high motor guy he is. I can't say the same about Lawson.

Lighten up Francis! :rolleyes:
BTW, everyone has got a different opinion. Carpenter's leadership skills and ablility to get along with teammates just recently came into question, but who the heck knows. Same goes for Lawson, even though that's the first time I've heard that he does that. Come on guys, it's knit pick time of the draft and everyone is trying to make everyone look bad.