Twitter: Concerns about Leighton Vander Esch

RS12

Reaction score
Neck injuries/conditions and football dont mix. Billy Cannon jr ring a bell?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Resign Lee because he was far away the best LB even before LVE injury AND this was suppose to be a strength coming into the past season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A lot of people were concerned about this before he was drafted, and we still don't know how bad it is, just that he has the condition.
lets be clear this has been mixed up since he got hurt..

THIS INJURY HAD ZERO TO DO WITH THE DIAGNOSIS HE HAD PREDRAFT..seriously anyone would have got hurt with that hit the awkward landing with weight of another player on him while his neck was bent in half..

they have nothing to do with each other, a football hit hurt him, not whatever the spinal degenerative issue he had flagged at the draft..

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Oy.

His neck issues were whispered prior to the draft so this should really surprise no one. This didn't come out of left field.

Better to know now then after we sign him to a big extension, cough, cough, Smith.

I think they need to bring Lee AND Thomas back at LB.

All of which were denied by LVE himself though. I also didn't read anything about stenosis. He missed 6 weeks in college which LVE said was a "misdiagnosed concussion" and he seemed to have gotten mad when a report claimed he had a stinger. All of his medical checks, but one, all came back positive.

This was either a complete miss by the NFL or someone found a way to keep it hush hush.

aria

Reaction score
When does the blame start shifting to McClay, the guy responsible for putting the Draft Board together and helps guide his GM/Owner and the rest through the process?
I won’t argue with you Corso, I’ve wondered the same thing myself. I don’t think anyone really knows who the hell is making these picks. I believe I read an article that Jerry still uses the 2nd round as his personal play ground but then people blame Marinelli for Taco and give credit to McClay for turning things around.

I dunno. What we do know is Jerry wanted Johnny Football and Stephen stopped it at the last minute and we also know that Jerry is a gambler and based on the “risky” picks that have been made over the past several years I’m still inclined to believe Jerry still has a lot more pull in the draft then people think.

visionary

Reaction score
So we drafted two linebackers with huge medical red flags using premium picks and now there are medical concerns about both. Sounds about right.

I’m glad trash Garrett really built this team or we might be in a heap of trouble

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I won’t argue with you Corso, I’ve wondered the same thing myself. I don’t think anyone really knows who the hell is making these picks. I believe I read an article that Jerry still uses the 2nd round as his personal play ground but then people blame Marinelli for Taco and give credit to McClay for turning things around.

I dunno. What we do know is Jerry wanted Johnny Football and Stephen stopped it at the last minute and we also know that Jerry is a gambler and based on the “risky” picks that have been made over the past several years I’m still inclined to believe Jerry still has a lot more pull in the draft then people think.
You may very well be right, old chum.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Who is Connor Livesay????

I do agree it's a concern.

We really need that guy.. Doesn't surprise me though that we have such a dynamic Linebacker like him and we will probably lose him.
Yeah but it serves us right if he goes down or can't come back.

I for one am just sick and tired of the risk taking drafting.

Maybe McCarthy will end it.

But till we stop drafting the Gregory's and the Jaylons and Tacos and Hills..

we will never reach a SB IMO.

It has been a trait of this team forever. We always get too comfortable with personnel and use a high pick on a project..

most of whom underachieve for us and the team has to divorce themselves from their mistakes.

Its frustrating.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A lot of people were concerned about this before he was drafted, and we still don't know how bad it is, just that he has the condition.

I heard a little noise about LVE's neck prior to the draft, but much more after last year's injury. I'm for taking medical risks, but that much risk really made LVE a stretch. Spine issues may get better temporarily, but they usually bring down players in the long run.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
You can blame Dak Prescott or Zeke Elliot or Tony Romo or pretty much any individual player or coach you want over the last two decades. The real reason the Cowboys have not won anything is this, bad drafting, wasted draft picks, bad deals and terrible trades.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Really? What is there to be concerned about? It's not like he's a guy who was suspected of having multiple neck injuries in college, wears a throwback neck brace from 1995, and missed multiple games due to more neck injuries, right?

Besides, how serious can a neck injury be in the NFL? Especially at linebacker.