Conner McGovern at center

Rayman70

Reaction score
CM at center is a waste of time and resources. We already have 3 centers in Lindstrom,Farniok and Tyler B. Farniok is the best of them. The film tells the tale. Their is 0 reason to play CM at center. Rather give those reps 2 Farniok.

quickccc

Reaction score
Just means they are developing position flexibility.

I' wondering why did it take this long,.. this very late, before just one game before the regular season to train up and do so ?

Game reps at center that was given to these scrubs could have been given to Connor in better prepareness.

Philibin did this last year with McGovern as well. and i think he waited to finally do the McGovern center into reg. season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If McG didn't beat out Williams then why is he starting at LG WK 1 and Williams is no longer on the roster? Hell yes, McG has improved, open your eyes!!
The reason I was asking is because I didn’t see film or much of the games. Williams was a penalty machine and got ran over and McGovern was on the team but they felt Williams was still better.

Verdict

Reaction score
Farniok looked good out there, sometimes, playing guard.

I thought Empey looked good at times, too. But he got cut already.

I must be missing something. I can't figure out what.
Possibly not. Sometimes when a player gets cut early it can slightly increase a player’s chances of making it to the practice squad.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I' wondering why did it take this long,.. this very late, before just one game before the regular season to train up and do so ?

Game reps at center that was given to these scrubs could have been given to Connor in better prepareness.

Philibin did this last year with McGovern as well. and i think he waited to finally do the McGovern center into reg. season.

They just released a Center so they are probably just getting him reps to see how he performs. If he does well then all the better for the team.

quickccc

Reaction score
Most likely.

For whatever reason, they've never given McGovern a chance at C. I doubt they'd be starting in his final year with Biadasz entrenched as the starter and Farniok the presumptive backup.

It does seem to be a sign that Farniok might not make the gameday roster, and will only take over at C if Biadasz can't start a game.

- If that's the case, then that's typical ill-prepared Joe Philibin. (and another reason why i cannot wait to get rid of Philibin) ..

- Why would we be investing so much invested training and time in Matt Farniok, if it's felt that he's not competent enuff to even be an emergency utility backup ?
to Not being on the Game Day Active list ?

- With McGovern, it's been long perceived that Philibin has never been fond of him as a player, and may only be dealing with Conner per pressure from management due to
his draft status. As a pure player, Philibin may actually be right in this case.

quickccc

Reaction score
They just released a Center so they are probably just getting him reps to see how he performs. If he does well then all the better for the team.

That center (scrub) they just released, had no bearing impact upon the front line players on game day. Emery did not (never) change the dynamics of what happens
with the center candidates.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The reason I was asking is because I didn’t see film or much of the games. Williams was a penalty machine and got ran over and McGovern was on the team but they felt Williams was still better.
So you speak for the team now? No, you don't so don't tell me what they felt. And move on from last season already! We have preseason games from this year to gauge if McG got better. He didn't get his job taken away by the Cowboy's #1 draft pick and now it appears that competition is over with Tyler Smith moving over to LT.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
That center (scrub) they just released, had no bearing impact upon the front line players on game day. Emery did not (never) change the dynamics of what happens
with the center candidates.

The decision to get McGovern reps could be related to Empey not showing the ability to play the position. Regardless they obviously think they want to see what McGovern has at the position.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It was being reported and seen that Conner McGovern was getting reps at center vs Seattle in the
last preseason game .

i wonder what is going out with that OL move rather than promise reserve backup Matt Farniok ?

McGovern has been a bust as an OG, but does his rep at center means he gets the call first before Farniok if Tyler Biadasz gets dinged or goes down ?

Looks like everyone's hero Farniok isnt the great young prospect they want him to be.

Lost the Center starting battle to Biadasz both years and it wasnt even close. Now they are trying to groom Mcgovern and starting him over the scrub in preseason games.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think they are trying to find something he can do. They simply did not expect this fluke injury to happen to Tyron.

1 - Tyron was in the best shape he has been in.
2 - If it was me then I would not have him out there. He was in shape and ready. His next stop should have been walk through practice for the bucs. Let Tyler get the practice reps as LT.
3 - Tyron never makes it through a full season and they had Tyler to take over but nothing at guard. Thats poor management.

McGovern couldn’t beat Williams out for the guard job. We cut Williams but kept McGovern. Whether it was a money issue or not. Williams couldn’t stop the penalties and could not do the job. Hope that McGovern is better.

Is our center improved. I have not paid attention this preseason.

1) Have no problem with McGovern training at center, just like Tyler at LT in mini-camps but i still have questions as to why did it take so long, and wait only last preseason game

2) No way i am buying into/ hearing" they did not expect a Tyron injury " We'd have to be the dumbest team in NFL to think as such.
What the club wanted to plan both young cats Matt Wally and Ball being prepared enuff to handle any point time of the expected Tyron injury.
Place all of their eggs in that one single basket and got completely snake bit by it.
Now the mad scientist reevaluations, in-house quick fix plan and street FA and trade candidates.

3) yes, agreed. - They did not want Tyler to have to be pulled over from LG to LT this very soon. This was next years' plan.
yes I also agree that Cowboys organization seems to have has mishandled the OL situation.

- We did not " cut" Williams, He was allowed to walk away as a UFA.
- Williams was a converted OT made into an OG, McGovern was supposedly a highly regarded OG prospect
per Penn State coming into the NFL. He was deemed a 2nd rd prospect who slipped into the 3rd rd.
- Cowboys thought he was great value and picked him accordingly to their draft board.

quickccc

Reaction score
The decision to get McGovern reps could be related to Empey not showing the ability to play the position.
Regardless they obviously think they want to see what McGovern has at the position.

Then yet again, that's ridiculous thinking by the Cowboys organization to place further investment for an undrafted rookie to come in year one
than one of your own players that you are depending upon the most in a needy emergency.

You get your most depended upon guys ready forth most first, .then there's your sheer long shot and hopeful pleasant surprise late bloomers.

If McGovern is one of your front line guys that you're depending heavily upon in the trenches, then he's the one you invest more into having him ready,.. waaaay ahead of time
than super long shots Emery or Braylon Jones., imo.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Then yet again, that's ridiculous thinking by the Cowboys organization to place further investment for an undrafted rookie to come in year one
than one of your own players that you are depending upon the most in a needy emergency.

You get your most depended upon guys ready forth most first, .then there's your sheer long shot and hopeful pleasant surprise late bloomers.

If McGovern is one of your front line guys that you're depending heavily upon in the trenches, then he's the one you invest more into having him ready,.. waaaay ahead of time
than super long shots Emery or Braylon Jones., imo.

IMO you are reading way too much into this. IIRC this is not the first time they have had McGovern take reps at Center. Teams try to develop position flex all the time and this is not any different.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So you speak for the team now? No, you don't so don't tell me what they felt. And move on from last season already! We have preseason games from this year to gauge if McG got better. He didn't get his job taken away by the Cowboy's #1 draft pick and now it appears that competition is over with Tyler Smith moving over to LT.
What are you even talking about.

Last year Williams got to many penalties and ran over. They pulled him and McGovern wasn’t good enough at that point to take the job so Williams got the job back. This year Tyron had LT and Tyler was gonna play next to him at LG. Ease him into LT. Injuries happen. So now we have McGovern at LG.

I told you I haven’t had the privilege of seeing what you saw so I was asking your opinion if he had gotten better. They let Williams walk and kept McGovern. So did he get better. You said yes. Kool thanks for the info. Maybe I put it the wrong way when I posted.

conner01

Reaction score
If McGovern is starting at LG, ..the Hulk package should be outta the window.
As very questionable as he is as a starter, and as questionable as overall depth is, he's now too valuable for that.
Get a Farniok for that.

If McGovern is a starter at LG, and he's asked to swing over to center, ..what does that say about the confidence for Farniok ?
I’m hoping he’s not starting at left guard
I’m hoping smith is left guard and we sign a LT which would mean MCGovern, since he would be active anyway is the swing guard center

quickccc

Reaction score
IMO you are reading way too much into this. IIRC this is not the first time they have had McGovern take reps at Center. Teams try to develop position flex all the time and this is not any different.

Trying this yet once again, Its Not that they are training McGovern at center, ..it’s the questionable timing of how that they are finally deciding to train McGovern at center

Philibin never seem fond of McGovern at center, and once again, he is choosing to train him and give him reps only at the very last game of the preseason ?

At least Philibin started on and gave the other Conner ample time to even a try out at center (a position Williams is currently starting at with Miami Dolphins) as early back as vet camp, training camp
and preseason before he finally decide to shelf the idea of center for Williams.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
CM at center is a waste of time and resources. We already have 3 centers in Lindstrom,Farniok and Tyler B. Farniok is the best of them. The film tells the tale. Their is 0 reason to play CM at center. Rather give those reps 2 Farniok.

Agreed. They should have given it to Farniok. He is our best center on this team by far.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
McGovern played OC at the end of a couple of games last season.
- ALL snaps with McGovern at OC in 2021 were with the QB under center.

This preseason game vs the Seahawks is the 1st time I've seen McGovern shotgun snap the ball in the past 2 years.
  • McGovern's reverse Grip
    • In college McGovern used a reverse grip on the ball.
    • Pre-snap the front tip of the ball would point down instead of up.
    • At the point he snapped to a QB under center, his hand would be under the ball.
    • On shotgun snaps that meant he was basically underhand tossing the ball back to the QB.
      • i.e. No chance of a spiral.
      • It reminded me of an under hand "granny shot" in basketball.

You've pointed out his weird grip before.
Millions of dollars at stake for him, and he can't rouse the energy to learn to throw a ball 7 yards between his legs the right way.
But it's his fourth year and he's still doing it wrong. You were right.
What I have never gotten is how having known crap form can possibly be acceptable to him or the team. But apparently, it just isn't unacceptable enough to anyone to make the change happen. Clown Team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You've pointed out his weird grip before.
Millions of dollars at stake for him, and he can't rouse the energy to learn to throw a ball 7 yards between his legs the right way.
But it's his fourth year and he's still doing it wrong. You were right.
What I have never gotten is how having known crap form can possibly be acceptable to him or the team. But apparently, it just isn't unacceptable enough to anyone to make the change happen. Clown Team.
He has used the correct grip since with the Cownous but they obviously have not trusted him on shotgun snaps. I finally saw a few when he played OC this preseason but he played less than a half there.

I think college grip might habe been to compensate for not being good with the standard grip.

His blocking looked better this preseason. In the 4 games he played last season, his blocking technique was not consistent. Too many snaps with his head down too low. He would try to put his shoulder pads into the ribs of DTs on run plays.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is for the game day roster. If Tyler ends up at OG then they might only want to carry 1 interior backup and 2 backup OTs. They always carry 8 OL now because it is required as part of the increase to 48 man game day rosters from 2 years ago.

McGovern should be able to finish a game at OC from what I saw of him at OC this preseason. If Biadasz was out for a game then Farniok would likely start at OC but they would still need McGovern as the backup.

I did think that Lindstrom showed potential.

Even James Empey looked decent, but they did not retain him on the ps.