Twitter: Connor McGovern Blocking Thread

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The great John Owning made this thread last April. Considering Connor is gonna be in the mix to potentially start at either C or LG, I think this is a good time to revisit what he can do (especially without a real training camp):

Thanks a lot for putting this together. Great topic starter.

Watching his tape, it looks like he's better at this point when his assignments are simpler and he doesn't have to think and react as much. His hand issues come up when he's on the move and reacting to smaller, quicker opponents. When he knows his assignment and doesn't have to think as much, he dominates. Sort of that 'phone booth blocker' at this point, but he should only get better with more experience. I'm eager to see what Philbin can do with the talent we have on this offensive line, particularly with the young guys.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Great prospect but I think some fans need to let him develop and actually play a nfl snap before he gets the oil treatment

Are we allowed to be excited about Lamb or anyone else? Or does this apply solely to McGovern for some reason?

By most people's accounts when he was drafted the Cowboys got a steal in McGovern. I'd say fans have every right to be excited about him as a player. No one is saying he doesn't have his warts and we all pretty much agree he needs coaching, but he's a very good prospect and possibly upgrade at a position of need. If we're not allowed to get excited about that then I'd hate to see what Christmas morning is like at your house.

Reactions: BAT

Kaiser

Reaction score
Watching his tape, it looks like he's better at this point when his assignments are simpler and he doesn't have to think and react as much. His hand issues come up when he's on the move and reacting to smaller, quicker opponents.

That is called "a Center".

Kidding, but he has had a year to add strength and technique, I do believe he ends up as our starting Center in 2020.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not so much for me. While Looney is capable, the power quotient of the offensive line drops considerably with him in the lineup. He'd be my 3rd option at center all things being equal.

I agree about power in regards to Looney, but what he brings is veteran savvy, experience, and knowledge of the game that any other options in Dallas don't have quite yet. The Center has to be able to read and diagnose just as much as being able to block. Since most of his blocks are either going to be double teams, reading the blitz, or getting out and pulling, I think he's a perfect fit at least to start the season. I think the future of the Cowboys offensive line has McGovern at LG and Biadasz at C, but it could take a little time to get there. That gives us Connor as swing-everything.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are we allowed to be excited about Lamb or anyone else? Or does this apply solely to McGovern for some reason?

By most people's accounts when he was drafted the Cowboys got a steal in McGovern. I'd say fans have every right to be excited about him as a player. No one is saying he doesn't have his warts and we all pretty much agree he needs coaching, but he's a very good prospect and possibly upgrade at a position of need. If we're not allowed to get excited about that then I'd hate to see what Christmas morning is like at your house.

do you think our 4th round "Badass" center from Wisconsin can get starting job?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not so much for me. While Looney is capable, the power quotient of the offensive line drops considerably with him in the lineup. He'd be my 3rd option at center all things being equal.

Unless something drastic happens with Connor Williams strength this offseason there is no way he can move a guy like Looney.

Connor can hold a block and get to the 2nd level well but Looney can move people better imo.

Connor has started since his rookie year because of his draft position. I’m not saying he is a bad player because he isn’t. He’s good but we have better players on the roster.

I miss Leary....

texbumthelife

Reaction score
do you think our 4th round "Badass" center from Wisconsin can get starting job?

I think the shortened/unknown offseason is going to hurt his chances of starting, at least early on. I do think he has the talent to be a high-level starter though so I wouldn't be shocked if he does take hold of the starting job at some point during the season. However, if McGovern/Williams aren't ready for whatever reason, Looney at LG and Biadasz at C is definitely an option.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is called "a Center".

Kidding, but he has had a year to add strength and technique, I do believe he ends up as our starting Center in 2020.

It’s a good point. But I wonder if he’d be doing more reacting or less from that spot?

I’m not ready to pencil anyone in anywhere yet especially under these unprecedented circumstances. But I do hope it’s either McGovern or Biadasz that starts at center.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah you’d love looney because it will make Dak look worse. Lol. Biadasz is our starting center. Book it

I’d like to see him before I say he is better than Looney.

If Looney is an above average player in this league.. OL play in the NFL is horrible and he is an above average player.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Unless something drastic happens with Connor Williams strength this offseason there is no way he can move a guy like Looney.

Connor can hold a block and get to the 2nd level well but Looney can move people better imo.

Connor has started since his rookie year because of his draft position. I’m not saying he is a bad player because he isn’t. He’s good but we have better players on the roster.

I miss Leary....

Is Willams vs. Looney the new Williams vs. Sua-Filo?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don’t consider it a strength of either Looney or Williams.

I miss Leary....

I’d like Leary’s power in there too, but he’s strictly a guard. And I think that Cam Erving just took the contract offer that they had out there to both guys.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I liked Looney better than both.

Garrett pigeon holed Looney because that’s what Garrett does.

He should’ve been starting for a few years now.

I like Looney too, but I think he's been used exactly how he should be. Until this year, his value was in his ability to back-up multiple positions. Don't get me wrong, he's not a poor player, but I think the Cowboys truly believed Freebeard was a better option at C and Williams/Sua-Filo were better option at LG. If I remember correctly, Looney also had some injury issues (not calling him injury prone mind you) that limited his opportunities to really compete for a starting job.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Garrett gone for the better part of five years, but OL would be one of the position groups I have the least gripes about.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I don’t consider it a strength of either Looney or Williams.

I’d like Leary’s power in there too, but he’s strictly a guard. And I think that Cam Erving just took the contract offer that they had out there to both guys.

I think Leary is done. His knees plus lackluster play in his last stop make him nothing more than an emergency signing at this point. The Cowboys have far too much talent on the OL to take a flyer on someone like that. You have Connor Williams, Joe Looney, Tyler Biadasz, McGovern, and now Flemming all essentially fighting for the same 1-2 spots. That's a wealth of talent and a great problem to have. If they decide to jettison Flemming, I can see them bringing in Leary just due to Jerry's familiarity, but I wouldn't trust his knees at this point. Remember, he has no ties to MM at all. I'm not even sure he'd pass a physical. There's a reason he's still on the market: Mostly because injuries have ended his last three seasons.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the shortened/unknown offseason is going to hurt his chances of starting, at least early on. I do think he has the talent to be a high-level starter though so I wouldn't be shocked if he does take hold of the starting job at some point during the season. However, if McGovern/Williams aren't ready for whatever reason, Looney at LG and Biadasz at C is definitely an option.

i like how we reload our O Line

texbumthelife

Reaction score
i like how we reload our O Line

You and me both. I firmly believe that to win games, the first thing you have to do is win in the trenches. The Cowboys have done a great job putting themselves in position to win in the trenches on both sides of the ball. At least on the inside.