Twitter: Connor McGovern Blocking Thread

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Leary is done. His knees plus lackluster play in his last stop make him nothing more than an emergency signing at this point. The Cowboys have far too much talent on the OL to take a flyer on someone like that. You have Connor Williams, Joe Looney, Tyler Biadasz, McGovern, and now Flemming all essentially fighting for the same 1-2 spots. That's a wealth of talent and a great problem to have. If they decide to jettison Flemming, I can see them bringing in Leary just due to Jerry's familiarity, but I wouldn't trust his knees at this point. Remember, he has no ties to MM at all. I'm not even sure he'd pass a physical. There's a reason he's still on the market: Mostly because injuries have ended his last three seasons.

Fleming is long gone.

Jipper

Reaction score
Great prospect but I think some fans need to let him develop and actually play a nfl snap before he gets the oil treatment

100% agree, and i wasn't dogging him simply saying he needs some coaching up and some beefing up

conner01

Reaction score
100% agree, and i wasn't dogging him simply saying he needs some coaching up and some beefing up
Like most college guys who don’t go early he has things to work on
The fact he was injured set him back
Hopefully he did a good job this off season
I think the way this off season has went hurts young guys not being around the facility

conner01

Reaction score
Are we allowed to be excited about Lamb or anyone else? Or does this apply solely to McGovern for some reason?

By most people's accounts when he was drafted the Cowboys got a steal in McGovern. I'd say fans have every right to be excited about him as a player. No one is saying he doesn't have his warts and we all pretty much agree he needs coaching, but he's a very good prospect and possibly upgrade at a position of need. If we're not allowed to get excited about that then I'd hate to see what Christmas morning is like at your house.
I loved the McGovern pick
I just think some are expect unrealistic steps after missing last year and this off season being what it has been
I think some are setting expectations too high for lamb
I expect being as highly rated as he was he is ready to play but I don’t think he will be what he can be year one
Few WR’s have great first years
He’s gonna get reps and I think he will produce but I’ve seen post about 1000 yard season
I’d love to see that happen but that’s some high expectations

dogberry

Reaction score
What is the time split for college coaches between recruiting and an actually coaching?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I loved the McGovern pick
I just think some are expect unrealistic steps after missing last year and this off season being what it has been
I think some are setting expectations too high for lamb
I expect being as highly rated as he was he is ready to play but I don’t think he will be what he can be year one
Few WR’s have great first years
He’s gonna get reps and I think he will produce but I’ve seen post about 1000 yard season
I’d love to see that happen but that’s some high expectations

I agree on all your points. The roster is stacked at OL and deep at WR too, which means the Cowboys can let those guys learn and come along slowly. I think MM will definitely put some wrinkles in just for Lamb and try to get him work out of the slot day one. It's an exciting time to be a Cowboys fan if you don't allow yourself to get bogged down in the Dak talk or disagree with xwalker on something ;)

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This isn't college ball. He hasn't played 1 snap at this level. Call me when he wins the job and i hope he does, I hope all these young guys can beat out veterans and we are a better team for it but untill I see them actually do it i'm not going to believe it. With the exception of Lamb, he will be the #3 at worst.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree on all your points. The roster is stacked at OL and deep at WR too, which means the Cowboys can let those guys learn and come along slowly. I think MM will definitely put some wrinkles in just for Lamb and try to get him work out of the slot day one. It's an exciting time to be a Cowboys fan if you don't allow yourself to get bogged down in the Dak talk or disagree with xwalker on something ;)
I’m excited to see the new offense

Reactions: BAT

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The great John Owning made this thread last April. Considering Connor is gonna be in the mix to potentially start at either C or LG, I think this is a good time to revisit what he can do (especially without a real training camp):

This guy tries way to hard to inject coach-speak terminology into his attempts to analyze the player..

The late hands comments are silly.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't college ball. He hasn't played 1 snap at this level. Call me when he wins the job and i hope he does, I hope all these young guys can beat out veterans and we are a better team for it but untill I see them actually do it i'm not going to believe it. With the exception of Lamb, he will be the #3 at worst.

The McClay and Stephen Jones concept is to get multiple options with legit skill-sets at positions and then let the best man win out.

If McGovern was the only viable option, then it would be a concern, but they have multiple options at interior OL and McGovern just increases the probability of getting quality play at OC or LG.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The McClay and Stephen Jones concept is to get multiple options with legit skill-sets at positions and then let the best man win out.

If McGovern was the only viable option, then it would be a concern, but they have multiple options at interior OL and McGovern just increases the probability of getting quality play at OC or LG.

Correct but to hear many crown McGovern a starter now with zero snaps in the NFL is a little pre-mature. I like the competition part, let them compete and see who wins.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think center is a true open competition between Looney and McGovern. If the race is close, the coaches will probably give Looney the nod because he's already been battle-tested for a full season and looked good. McGovern will be given every chance to win it though.

I just can't see Biadsz being in the mix to start. If he was Day 1 ready, he wouldn't have fallen to #141.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think center is a true open competition between Looney and McGovern. If the race is close, the coaches will probably give Looney the nod because he's already been battle-tested for a full season and looked good. McGovern will be given every chance to win it though.

I just can't see Biadsz being in the mix to start. If he was Day 1 ready, he wouldn't have fallen to #141.

Agree with all of that, but I do think McGovern has a lot more upside than Looney and he will win the job. He played at Penn State and they had a 2nd round grade on him.

Bob Sturm agrees with you on Biadasz, he just did an article on him and put a third round grade on him (he had a high second on McGovern, like Dallas did) but thinks it will take him a year of weight work and film study.