Connor Williams Bust Potential?

gmoney112

Reaction score
He turned 21 a few months before training camp. He turns 22 in a week or something.

I figured he'd struggle year 1. That's pretty much par for the course. Once Fred went out, it was a trial by fire which I thought would be good for him. A 21 year old rookie banging heads in the interior. It'd push him that much more in the offseason. Give him valuable experience and motivation when he'd be coming into his second year at 22 years old.

My thinking was, by the time he's 24, his floor is going to be high. Year 2 and 3 will show a good amount of improvement.

He could end up average. Always a possibility. Since his main issue looked like strength/weight at 21, I think his odds improve. But, I think he can be the next OL with youth that earns a 5-6 year contract that becomes a mainstay on the line.

Personally, I think his odds of "busting" are pretty low. At worst he might be "average". I think he's going to be pretty good, possibly very good. I'm really curious to see him at Tackle.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Have an unopened bottle of Remy XO from when I was driving limos/buses. Stopped about 3 years ago after 13 years doing it.

Some drunk azzes left it in the limo.
That's a bottle right there my friend. I've had a few over the years from good clients. Have some henny white stashed from overseas trips. I still need that bottle of ace of spades.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We will see if it equates to results on the field. I hope so. But Taco says hello.
Taco does not say hello to me because the last time we talked I told him what I think about him. :thumbdown:

Connor Williams will be great at left guard this season unless the new Connor makes it necessary to move him elsewhere.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know that I greatly value your opinion as a poster of this forum. To say he struggled against power early though to me seems generous. I do think the kid has potential. I think he could be better at OT. Time will tell. We need this kid to work out.

He should not have been starting game 1 as a rookie.

The entire world knew he needed to gain weight.

If he had been 14 pounds heavier, he would have been a 1st round pick.

The Cowboys had multiple interior OL get injury or sick before game 1.
Frederick - Sick
Marcus Martin - IR (He was getting starter type snaps in training camp before the injury)
Ehinger (They traded for him and he immediately got injured)

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't want to judge him after 1 season, but I'd say there's a fair amount of bust potential. He spent most of the season getting lit up at guard, and now is in line for a position change to spot he has never been tested at at the NFL level. I'm not going to write him off this early, but there are clouds gathering on the horizon.

We all know he needed to get stronger, and it sounds like he has been working at that, but I will believe the improvement when I see it. Right now that added strength is a "maybe" until he shows it on the field.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I wait for year 3 to call busts...

Taco looks like a bust... we even traded for and drafted 3 more guys. That tells me everything I need to know about their confidence in the breakfast meal
Yep, they are making moves to replace Taco. They obviously are not counting on him doing jack.

This is what happens when you reach for a player, they got burned. It’s not like there were not warning signs either, there were rumblings in college that he really was not into the game that much.

Considering how much Garrett talks about wanting players that love the game, kinda a head scratcher they drafted Taco.

Verdict

Reaction score
He should not have been starting game 1 as a rookie.

The entire world knew he needed to gain weight.

If he had been 14 pounds heavier, he would have been a 1st round pick.

The Cowboys had multiple interior OL get injury or sick before game 1.
Frederick - Sick
Marcus Martin - IR (He was getting starter type snaps in training camp before the injury)
Ehinger (They traded for him and he immediately got injured)
I’ll grant you that. But he was a second rounder. They tend to play early. He clearly wasn’t physically ready. I think he could have performed better at OT, physically.

All of your post makes sense. I’m hoping he makes a big jump this year in physicality. I’m just not sure he will ever have the physicality to play guard at a dominant level in the NFL. If he sticks and plays well, it may we’ll be at OT and may be on the left side.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I am NOT suggesting he is a bust, but I didn’t think he was that great last year at G for a second rounder. I think he is better suited to play OT, and I hope he plays great regardless of where they play him.

Having said that, he seems to not have enough strength to play G, and he may have some challenges at T.

I think he’s a 50/50 player to “make a hand” at one position or the other. That’s not great odds, compared to how spoiled we have been at drafting OL over the past several years.

I can name about 10 busts as O-linemen starting with Green and ending with Brewster. C Will ain't one of them