Connor Williams cemented his new contract with a new team in 2022

blueblood70

Reaction score
I like how you cut to the chase . Zach Martin Tyrone Smith are not getting any younger and the other line mates are average at best. Time for Will McClay to fire up the popcorn get out the tape and watch college linemen tackles & guards & centers see who might be a fit in 2022. Biadaz had a snap yesterday was at Daks feet . Can we not improve that position next yr as well ?
i saw 5 centers over the weekend roll ball to qbs feet believe one was TB ...it happens.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Tyron is the key here, with a back up LT and slightly above average center you cannot have a developing player also at LG, the tolerance stacking there makes nothing but more problems.

I think that if we lose Tyron, we'd move Collins to LT and play Steele at RT. Unfortunately, I'd consider Collins as my top option at LG as well, so either we'd have to get some competition for McGovern or make getting an OL a top priority in the draft. Of course, Josh Ball and Matt Farniok are the wild cards since we have no idea how they can do on this level as NFL starters.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I think that if we lose Tyron, we'd move Collins to LT and play Steele at RT. Unfortunately, I'd consider Collins as my top option at LG as well, so either we'd have to get some competition for McGovern or make getting an OL a top priority in the draft. Of course, Josh Ball and Matt Farniok are the wild cards since we have no idea how they can do on this level as NFL starters.
I actually like the prospect of Ball manning one of the two tackle positions, I think a Ball at LT and Collins at LG would be nasty if T. Smith hangs it up.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I actually like the prospect of Ball manning one of the two tackle positions, I think a Ball at LT and Collins at LG would be nasty if T. Smith hangs it up.

Hopefully he develops into what it looks like he's capable of being.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Williams can get 4 years/$40M on the open market pretty easily. He's 25 years old and a top-quarter type of guard in the NFL. Bad teams will value him as an OL building block, good teams will value him as a plug-and-play replacement on an iffy or departed starter.

I wouldn't mind keeping him on the Cowboys at all, but this team is running into a tight cap situation and may not be able to make a second expensive G work.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I was on the "Play McGovern" bandwagon through the first 6-7 weeks, however long it took for them to make the change. My POV is that while Williams was an OK starter and had done a good job as a starter his 4 year career, his ceiling is where he is now, he is not a strong player and will not be with the team next season anyway. Given McGovern looked good last year in relief of Martin, I thought it was time to TRY to improve the LG position with someone stronger.

Dead. Wrong. McGovern's play was terrible - he didn't understand assignments, angles, anything. It became pretty clear after a few games that he was toast, and after what...3 games, the coaches decided the same. Yesterday, Williams returned to the starting lineup, did not get called for a single penalty and played great. He helped break the run Zeke had for a TD, looked good on pulls and held up in pass protection.

So, not that it was never going to happen, but Williams is as good as gone. His Agent now has the tape and story he needs to get Williams a premier contract in the offseason. A 4 year starter who will be 25 to start the 2022 season as a guard, with some position flex, will get PAID. And we just don't have the cap room to compete.

OL is going to be an issue next season. Good job Williams!
Another hole to fill this off season
Good grief!

Tussinman

Reaction score
A four year starter who is never injured and has good tape will get paid given how needy teams are for good OL play. Kinda like when Hitchens got paid by KC a few years back.
Confused on never injured ? 2020 was the first time since 2016 in which he didn't miss time or have a surgery ? (missed most of his 2017 Junior year of college due to knee surgery, missed a few games in 2018 due to knee scope, and then had 2 different knee operations in 2019 that cost him 5 games + meant he was out if they had made the postseason).

Hitchens was 10x less injury prone.

Last edited:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I’m counting on Ball being a player. Hope I’m right.

plasticman

Reaction score
I have observed that some teams make a habit of overpaying veteran free agents from successful teams only to have them fail and transform their salary into dead money. The typical reason is that the veteran was a "system" player who only succeeded under that previous system.

Then again, the worse that can happen is that they are successful and the Cowboys get a compensatory pick in the draft

Either way, any prolonged success for the Dallas Cowboys will be based on their ability to identify talent in the draft followed by determining their long term value to the team when their rookie contract expires.

Good teams are going to lose some good players but as long as the new team ultimately overpays it becomes a clever and devious method of weakening another NFL team.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
He’s gonna get more money than any free agent we lose except maybe Schultz
He will get more than gallup
I doubt he gets more than Gallup. I wouldn’t bet the house on it, but I think Gallup gets more. But, I realize it’s easier to find good receivers than good Olinemen so who really knows.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I think Williams can get 4 years/$40M on the open market pretty easily. He's 25 years old and a top-quarter type of guard in the NFL. Bad teams will value him as an OL building block, good teams will value him as a plug-and-play replacement on an iffy or departed starter.

I wouldn't mind keeping him on the Cowboys at all, but this team is running into a tight cap situation and may not be able to make a second expensive G work.
That’s the problem. One of the really bad teams with lots of cap space will offer him more than we can pay. I’d bet the house on it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke's TD run in the Meadowlands was thanks to CW blocking. McGovern wasn't doing that for Zeke. Williams is good for Zeke. The Cowboys will pay CW a nice contract.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Zeke's TD run in the Meadowlands was thanks to CW blocking. McGovern wasn't doing that for Zeke. Williams is good for Zeke. The Cowboys will pay CW a nice contract.
Like I said above, one of the teams with lots of cap space will offer him more than we can pay. That’s guaranteed. The only way we can resign him is if he’s willing to take less money. Not many players, especially young ones looking for a payday, are willing to do that. It’s unfortunate but that’s the NFL. For all I know the FO might not even be looking to resign him for this very reason.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Like I said above, one of the teams with lots of cap space will offer him more than we can pay. That’s guaranteed. The only way we can resign him is if he’s willing to take less money. Not many players, especially young ones looking for a payday, are willing to do that. It’s unfortunate but that’s the NFL. For all I know the FO might not even be looking to resign him for this very reason.
Opinions. We all have one. We won't know which one is right until this plays out in the offseason. I appreciate your opinion is well thought out and explained.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I heard Stephen Jones say that McGovern is a better right guard the other day.

So we know he’ll never see that position.

I’m hoping we draft 32 and around that area is usually where quality interior lineman go. I’d rather draft a guy with power than sign a finesse guy like Connor Williams.

Dallas needs youth on that Oline in a bad way.

Oline and QB are everything.
The Great Wall of Dallas of the 90s had only Olineman who was drafted in the 2nd round Larry Allen), a couple of 3rd rounders, and the rest were either late rounders or undrafted free agents. Today's sudden theory that we need a bunch of 1st rounders is ridiculous and expensive.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The Great Wall of Dallas of the 90s had only Olineman who was drafted in the 2nd round Larry Allen), a couple of 3rd rounders, and the rest were either late rounders or undrafted free agents. Today's sudden theory that we need a bunch of 1st rounders is ridiculous and expensive.
Yep. I’ve posted the same thing numerous times. However, I will admit higher draft picks generally are more talented and more likely to succeed. That’s why they’re higher draft picks. But you can’t measure the heart and drive of a player. Who would’ve ever thought a player from Sonoma State would go down in history as one of the best, and maybe THE best, offensive linemen to ever play the game. Erik Williams was from Central State.