Twitter: Connor Williams not expected back

McKDaddy

Reaction score
ZM is the best guard in football, left or right.Don’t care what any stats say or don’t say.I let the eye test be my judge.

That's your right. The players vote each year though and they say he isn't. My eyes tell me the same.

Also consider, last year was his 8th season. Not really any player but certainly not interior linemen are getting better after 8 seasons of wear & tear. Maybe a few you could say are staying the same. Most are clearly in the declining category by that point in their career.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's your right. The players vote each year though and they say he isn't. My eyes tell me the same.

Also consider, last year was his 8th season. Not really any player but certainly not interior linemen are getting better after 8 seasons of wear & tear. Maybe a few you could say are staying the same. Most are clearly in the declining category by that point in their career.
ZM or QN, either way you’ve got a good one.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
ZM or QN, either way you’ve got a good one.

But given that ZM is about to enter his 9th season & the team has every appearance of being a dumpster fire, wouldn't it be worth considering trying to trade him while his value is still high? Your are already losing 2 linemen it appears & you potentially need to lose TB so why not trade ZM & get some ammo to help. Truly revamp the line and see if you can get it figured out while also resetting your cap numbers.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the stuff about him being out of shape is blown out of proportion. He was injured, so he couldn't train like normal, and then he tried to play despite it.

La'el Collins last played a game Dec. 29, 2019. He missed all of last season with a hip injury that required surgery in October.

It was tough,” Collins said, via Jonny Auping of the team website. “I kept going back and forth with myself. If I had to get the surgery done, I was going to have to miss the season. It wasn’t something I was looking forward to at all, but it was something that had to be done. Now, I feel good. And I’m ready to rock.”

The Cowboys continue to limit their starting right tackle in organized team activities as he works his way back. But the plan is for Collins to be a full participant by the start of training camp next month.

“To be honest with you, I’m just starting to feel like myself again,” Collins said. “And it feels good. I’m working overtime with treatment and physical therapy to make sure that this thing is right. All the hard work is definitely paying off.”

If I remember correctly, he got injured trying to play in the covid yr, where there were several rumors he came into camp completely out of shape. Doesn't matter, they clearly want Steele to become their starting Right Tackle and want to move on from Collins.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
But given that ZM is about to enter his 9th season & the team has every appearance of being a dumpster fire, wouldn't it be worth considering trying to trade him while his value is still high? Your are already losing 2 linemen it appears & you potentially need to lose TB so why not trade ZM & get some ammo to help. Truly revamp the line and see if you can get it figured out while also resetting your cap numbers.
Lineman can be very effective well into 30’s.He doesn’t look like he’s slowing down.

Tussinman

Reaction score
In one sentence I said Pro Bowl. Yes, that was a mistake. Everywhere else I have made it clear that I was referring to All Pro designation. It makes a huge difference. There can only be one All Pro at each position. QN entered the league in 2018 & If QN played RG he would have been the All Pro at RG in each of the years from 2018 thru 2020. Fortunately for Zach, they play different positions.
And like I already said, there would have not been a huge difference if they played the same position.

Martin didn't make first or second team in 2020 so that would have changed nothing. 2018 the cowboys won the division and Zeke was the leading NFL rusher so Zack would have stayed at first team.

Like I said in the last reply, the only difference would have been Martin would have made second team in 2019 instead of 1st. That's not significant (if they had played the same position Martin would currently be 4x 1st and 3x 2nd instead of 5x 1st and 2x 2nd).

This theory that Martin is living on his past reputation and that he's lucky Nelson plays left side is extremely exaggerated, especially since Nelson is one this season living off of his previous reputation

Mr_437

Reaction score
So, now Connor Williams sucks because of Dak Prescott? :huh:
Chicken or the egg.

Everyone knew CW was done in Dallas just looking out to see what type of comp pick he brings.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And like I already said, there would have not been a huge difference if they played the same position.

Martin didn't make first or second team in 2020 so that would have changed nothing. 2018 the cowboys won the division and Zeke was the leading NFL rusher so Zack would have stayed at first team.

Like I said in the last reply, the only difference would have been Martin would have made second team in 2019 instead of 1st. That's not significant (if they had played the same position Martin would currently be 4x 1st and 3x 2nd instead of 5x 1st and 2x 2nd).

This theory that Martin is living on his past reputation and that he's lucky Nelson plays left side is extremely exaggerated, especially since Nelson is one this season living off of his previous reputation

Did you see this part of my post? It was in the body of your post not below it so you may have missed it.

I can't make it any simpler than to show you that QN has consistently been rated the top offensive lineman in the game by his peers. I also said that prior to the 2021 season he was ranked 13th overall which is unreal for a G. The people who play against him clearly do not think he is regressing. ZM's highest ever ranking was 34 (I believe) & before the 2021 season was 85. He is the one who is clearly regressing. (I am referring to the players rankings as presented by NFL Network)

Regressing \ declining seems to be the word that upset some of you. I simply don't see the player that ZM once was. I also posted with another zoner about where he is in his career and the expected decline due to wear & tear. In my mind, there is nothing inflamatory in my statements. I just see it as a natural part of a career. He started on a HOF trajectory. To decline from that doesn't mean he's bad but I don't believe he has been dominant in several seasons other than the first 4-6 games of 2021. He looked like his old self during that stretch.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Rebuild is coming. Heard MM talk about how important continuity is with the OL. Both Tyron/Collins have struggled badly with availability. Tyron isn't on the chopping block yet cause there isn't a viable replacement on the roster yet.
Permanent rebuild.

quickccc

Reaction score
Rebuild is coming. Heard MM talk about how important continuity is with the OL. Both Tyron/Collins have struggled badly with availability. Tyron isn't on the chopping block yet cause there isn't a viable replacement on the roster yet.

Where will the rebuilding be ? ...
- No talk of cutting Smith and moving on without him and his durability issues. So they are cool and stand pat with his situation ?
- we dunno what the plan is for center Tyler Biadasz ?
- Steele is Joe Philibin's pet favorite, his pet project.
- McGovern is not his pick, and i tend to think he's never been fond of McGovern.
- This Collins sounds like either a chronic long term concern regarding his hip and movement skills or could it be an internal issue,

- How much is it about his hip ? ...to how much is it the current OL coach.....?? ..........to how much is the front office concerns with Collins ?
.. Or all of the above ?

- People oft talked about this Collins to OG move ,.but there's a certain kind of bend and leverage needed for the interior vs what kind of leverage and spacing
needed for OT, .. and with his hip, the outside spacing, his slide and leverage could suit him better for OT than in phone booth area.

- If Collins is traded for the sake of clearing 1.3 million, it would not make much sense unless the club now sees Collins more as a hinderance than a bookend
cut in stone starter.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Did you see this part of my post? It was in the body of your post not below it so you may have missed it.

I can't make it any simpler than to show you that QN has consistently been rated the top offensive lineman in the game by his peers. I also said that prior to the 2021 season he was ranked 13th overall which is unreal for a G. The people who play against him clearly do not think he is regressing. ZM's highest ever ranking was 34 (I believe) & before the 2021 season was 85. He is the one who is clearly regressing. (I am referring to the players rankings as presented by NFL Network)

Regressing \ declining seems to be the word that upset some of you. I simply don't see the player that ZM once was. I also posted with another zoner about where he is in his career and the expected decline due to wear & tear. In my mind, there is nothing inflamatory in my statements. I just see it as a natural part of a career. He started on a HOF trajectory. To decline from that doesn't mean he's bad but I don't believe he has been dominant in several seasons other than the first 4-6 games of 2021. He looked like his old self during that stretch.
You keep moving goalpost.

First it was "Martin is living off his reputation" which isn't true (he was the best guard in the NFL this year).

Then it was "He's regressing" which isn't necessarly true (this was his best season since 2018)

Then it was "he's lucky Nelson doesn't play his position" which again is a poor take (Nelson slowed down signficantly the 2nd half of 2020 and won't even make the NFL top 100 this year).

If anything Nelson making 2nd team all-pro with his performance this season is the true definition of "living off past reputation".

Regressing \ declining seems to be the word that upset some of you. I simply don't see the player that ZM once was.
The problem is your saying he's regressing but then comparing him to a player (Nelson) whose literally regressing. He's had 14 penalties the last 2 seasons, played less than 800 snaps, and won't even make the NFL top 100 this year.

Nelsons last 20 games have not even been the same realm as 2018/2019, that's not the case with Martin (Martin was on pace last year to make the all-pro team for right tackle and then followed up his surgery by making 1st team this year).

sideon

Reaction score
Oh no, Now where will they find a lineman that gets constantly bull rushed by every teams DL???:laugh:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You keep moving goalpost.

Just making different points.

I said "when healthy" as regards QN. This past season he was not healthy.

If you think Zach is the best G at this point in his career, I fear you are not watching enough other teams.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The problem is your saying he's regressing but then comparing him to a player (Nelson)

No, I'm comparing him to himself when I say he's declining.

The comparison to QN is simply that there can only be one best player. As a G, its Quinten then a gap then everyone else. As such, if QN played RG, Zach would not be named first team All Pro in years QN is healthy.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Where will the rebuilding be ? ...
- No talk of cutting Smith and moving on without him and his durability issues. So they are cool and stand pat with his situation ?
- we dunno what the plan is for center Tyler Biadasz ?
- Steele is Joe Philibin's pet favorite, his pet project.
- McGovern is not his pick, and i tend to think he's never been fond of McGovern.
- This Collins sounds like either a chronic long term concern regarding his hip and movement skills or could it be an internal issue,

- How much is it about his hip ? ...to how much is it the current OL coach.....?? ..........to how much is the front office concerns with Collins ?
.. Or all of the above ?

- People oft talked about this Collins to OG move ,.but there's a certain kind of bend and leverage needed for the interior vs what kind of leverage and spacing
needed for OT, .. and with his hip, the outside spacing, his slide and leverage could suit him better for OT than in phone booth area.

- If Collins is traded for the sake of clearing 1.3 million, it would not make much sense unless the club now sees Collins more as a hinderance than a bookend
cut in stone starter.

I know the Cowboys have shown interest with Tackles, Guards and Centers. It appears two starters will not be back in Connor and Collins. It's quite possible that number could grow if the right Center is available. Yes, it is clear that Philbin really likes Steele and not so much about McGovern who is a better fit for a power scheme. I think if they had another capable LT on the roster, Tyron's spot come be in trouble. This definitely looks like a OL rebuild to me.

As I said at the beginning of the offseason, I didn't expect Collins to return. Not only has his play declined, but he has rubbed many the wrong way. When Steele showed he could be a solid starter, Collins days could be numbered. They don't save much cap space this yr, but don't have to pay him 10 million in cash.

I believe the best course of action is to draft a Tackle who has positional flex inside. Have him start inside and kick outside when a spot opens up in the future.

quickccc

Reaction score
I know the Cowboys have shown interest with Tackles, Guards and Centers. It appears two starters will not be back in Connor and Collins. It's quite possible that number could grow if the right Center is available. Yes, it is clear that Philbin really likes Steele and not so much about McGovern who is a better fit for a power scheme. I think if they had another capable LT on the roster, Tyron's spot come be in trouble. This definitely looks like a OL rebuild to me.

As I said at the beginning of the offseason, I didn't expect Collins to return. Not only has his play declined, but he has rubbed many the wrong way. When Steele showed he could be a solid starter, Collins days could be numbered. They don't save much cap space this yr, but don't have to pay him 10 million in cash.

I believe the best course of action is to draft a Tackle who has positional flex inside. Have him start inside and kick outside when a spot opens up in the future.

jerry well mentioned " flex" players during Senior Bowl week,.. so many assumed Olinemen was the hint ... man, i wish Jerry wouldn't spill hints like that
:facepalm: