Constructing an arbitrary team under the following stipulation

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
QB, LT, DE, DT would be my elite players. If you have a decent OL and a great QB, you'll be in playoff contention every single season.

A lot of folks might want both DEs as elite players (who wouldn't?), but if you don't have that disrupter in the middle, 2 outside rushers are much easier to control. I also recall Pat Kirwan saying a few years ago that the holy grail (apart from QB) for most GMs was the pass rusher. But with the advent of more teams running the 3-4 and so many college players being adept now as a 3/4 4/3 hybrid DE/OLB, he said GMs had told him the toughest thing to find now was the disruptive 3 technique DT. Very few teams have one.

Awful would be FB/H back, OG, cb, and SS. If you can find one stout corner to go with a good pass rush, you can have a serviceable defense. You'll give up some big plays, but if you've got to have 4 bad players, they've got to go somewhere. Jimmy Johnson said when Dallas hired him that the keys to a great team were a pass rushing DL and a great QB. 25 years down the road, that's the philosophy I'd still use if I were building a team.

dcstands4

Reaction score
this is the stupidest thread ever.

but I hate when ppl say thread are stupid but don't play along

good
QB, DE, DE, LB

awful

punter, kicker, RG, 3QB

I can get to the SB with 3 elite pass rushers

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

good
QB, DE, DE, LB

awful

punter, kicker, RG, 3QB

Aren't you the one who started the "What if Jerry Jones said what Donald Sterling said?" thread?

If this came from anyone else, I'd take it seriously.

And I said starters, so 3rd QB doesn't count. If you're gonna play along, at least follow the rules.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score

good
QB, DE, DE, LB

awful

punter, kicker, RG, 3QB

The OP said "of the 22 starters", which would seem to exclude K, P and 3QB.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
All-Pro:QB,WR1,WR2,TE1.
Awful:WLB,SS, DT2, CB2

Good luck stopping this offense.

dcstands4

Reaction score
Aren't you the one who started the "What if Jerry Jones said what Donald Sterling said?" thread?

If this came from anyone else, I'd take it seriously.

And I said starters, so 3rd QB doesn't count. If you're gonna play along, at least follow the rules.

O0ops...

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Thats what Peyton said on the day of the super bowl lol...

I agree. People are still saying that the best offenses win now in the NFL. It's always been defense. Even when the great ones (Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers) won their Super Bowls, it was when they had good defenses.

Bottom line, you can win with a great defense and mediocre offense, but you can't win with a great offense and mediocre defense.

And it doesn't help that Peyton was and always will be a classic choke artist.